Gave my Remington 870 a Cerakote facelift, Now my M&P Pro as well, Now Mossberg 500

I bought this Remington Marine Magnum in August.
I never did like the top folding stock so last week I got a used factory stock.
I liked the idea of the marine magnum coat but it's just so damn shiny in that nickeled finish.

So I media blasted it down and then Cerakoted it "Tactical Gray" tonight.
Just baked and re-assembled it. One more piece is still in the oven so it's missing in pics.

I'm thinking I have the best of both worlds: Marine coat with an additional tough coating on top.

I LOVE the color

Before
30c9gkh.jpg

wqrame.jpg

After
oh4opx.jpg

23jg02b.jpg

6egqhl.jpg

o856dx.jpg

Last edited:
lookin good.

i'm not sure why anyone would buy a shiney shotgun with a stock like that though.... [rofl]

where did you get the ceracoat kit ???

brownells ??

how much?

I got my first kit from Brownells for I think $38 shipped.
Then I got my second set of paint directly from www.nicindustries.com

I did my brother's shotgun in Sniper Gray which is darker than this.
This paint is called "Tactical Gray"

On their website they'll send you 5 color swatches for free if you want to see what they will look like in person.

lookin good.

i'm not sure why anyone would buy a shiney shotgun with a stock like that though.... [rofl]

I got it used for an ok price $425 so I figured I could toss in some money to make it right.

X2

Was it easy to do?

As far ease to do...it depends on your equipment.
You'll need:
Abrasive blaster with 100-120 grit aluminum oxide
Spray gun or airbrush
Air compressor to run both the blaster and airbrush
Acetone to degrease it all
An oven to stick it all in

The general directions are:
disassemble and media blast the object
degrease it and clean it up
spray the Cerakote on (24 parts paint to 1 part hardener)
Bake for 300 degrees for 1 hour or 250 for 2 hours or 175 for 3 hours

Notes: This stuff really does not flash dry. If it hasn't been cured in the oven then you'll know. It'll rub right off so you absolutely cannot touch or handle the objects before cure. When they bump into each other in transport you'll have to repaint that part to get coverage.

Last edited:
Nice Remy, that is exactly what I want, plus some Trig' Ghost Ring Sights. Thanks for the write up, I may give that coating a try.

What did you use to support it while in the oven? Did you just let it lay on the racks?

So last night I also finished my M&P Pro in the same color.
I think it turned out nice. They look like I should carry them at the same time...all the time

rtzyb4.jpg

1z4bju8.jpg

2m4oj91.jpg

muheec.jpg

Nice Remy, that is exactly what I want, plus some Trig' Ghost Ring Sights. Thanks for the write up, I may give that coating a try.

What did you use to support it while in the oven? Did you just let it lay on the racks?

No you absolutely cannot lay it on the racks. The painted surfaces cannot be handled prior to baking. I got some bell wire and used that to run through the parts I was painting (holes and stuff) and I hung them from the rack while in the oven. I used the wire to hold the parts while painting as well.

Well thanks for the new project, looks like I need a new HD shotty. Did it loose any of the marine coating by blasting it?

Well thanks for the new project, looks like I need a new HD shotty. Did it loose any of the marine coating by blasting it?

When I spoke to guys at NIC, they told me that the blasting was to ensure that the paint had something to grab onto. A light matte finish which is why they recommend 100-120 grit blasting media. Any rougher and the ridges are too high the paint may not cover. Any smoother and the paint may not grip as well.

The marine coating I believe is a plating process. After blasting I did not get anything that looked like plain steel. It was still bright and gold colored, just matte finished so I don't believe the marine coating was blasted off.

Note: If you want the Cerakote to go on in a rougher finish I heard you can add just a tiny bit more hardener. They don't give you much so don't overuse it. 1ml to 24ml is recommended so I'd go 1.25ml to 24ml for a rougher finish.

Awesome, I am on the lookout for one of those marine magnums now.

Well, you don't really "need" a marine magnum to do it.
Mossberg makes a marine finish as well and I think it's a bit cheaper than the Remington.
You could also parkerize the parts which is not too difficult. you'll just need something big to heat up the solution.
To Parkerize, you blast the parts then heat the parkerizing solution up to 170 degrees (from memory) and just let it sit in the bath for 30 min. Then you have a nice rust-resistant finish that is perfect for Cerakoting afterwards.

My brother will post pics of his Mossberg which I did last week in a slightly darker "Sniper Gray". His was a standard finish.

I already have a Mossberg, and I am kind of looking for a reason to buy an 870. I really like the idea of expandable magazine tubes.

This might help those interested in paint colors

Colors always end up slightly different than what you see on websites.
I painted both of these myself.
The nut is Sniper Gray, the shaft is Tactical Gray
29e68uw.jpg

From NIC's site
Sniper Gray (Left) vs Tactical Gray (Right)
hw06z5.jpg
vs
63t75e.jpg

Last edited:
wow De those look great...sidenote: i like how you used crappy cell phone pictures as the "before" shots of the 870 and nice proper pictures for the "after" [laugh]

Yea, I was looking for better pics of the "before" pics. I don't think I ever liked the way it looked before so never had the motivation to use anything other than my camera. :)

Now you got me thinking about how big my oven is. Maybe it's time for a new one.

Disassembled, most stuff should fit in a normal oven.

I used a toaster oven for my AR mags

Back
Top Bottom