• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garand or SKS?

Are sure? Because I'd gladly trade one of my Garands for a kidney, one I can live without, the other not so much.

Yes, quite sure I won't trade a kidney for one.

Not THAT difficult to scrounge up money. I can always *GASP* sell a different gun to fund what I want.

Yes, quite sure I won't trade a kidney for one.

Not THAT difficult to scrounge up money. I can always *GASP* sell a different gun to fund what I want.
My current policy is to never sell a gun. I've done that in the past and always regretted it, maybe decades later but still regretted it.

My current policy is to never sell a gun. I've done that in the past and always regretted it, maybe decades later but still regretted it.
Never sold one but traded once. Feel like I got the best of the deal but from time to time I wish I still had what I traded away. I put more thought into purchases now than in the past and have a no sell/no trade policy as well.

LOL, you literally offered to sell me one for a kidney.

I have a threshold over market for most stuff but there are one or two that divesting of the gun and ammo would probably not be totally regrettable.

Though I do aim to find the money some other way.

Think outside the box...

specimen-cup-3-oz-sterile-400-case-parter-medical-products-243210.jpg

LOL, you literally offered to sell me one for a kidney.

I have a threshold over market for most stuff but there are one or two that divesting of the gun and ammo would probably not be totally regrettable.

Though I do aim to find the money some other way.
give me a break, I was making an exception, you know the whole death thing changes your perspectives. but I did set a pretty high bar.

Does this mean you're considering it, I do have more than one Garand, I could up the offer to two [wink]

give me a break, I was making an exception, you know the whole death thing changes your perspectives. but I did set a pretty high bar.

Does this mean you're considering it, I do have more than one Garand, I could up the offer to two [wink]

Would steal a kidney for one before I would give my own, and that would probably cost at least a BAR and a Thompson both in full auto glory.

Ok.. Garand guys.. I don't reload (yet, maybe).. but should I save the 30-06 brass? Any value to that? Is it even worth it after adding the cost of equipment, supplies, etc.?

Ok.. Garand guys.. I don't reload (yet, maybe).. but should I save the 30-06 brass? Any value to that? Is it even worth it after adding the cost of equipment, supplies, etc.?

I would say yes, just from general research.

Seems people report pretty big differential between commercial cost and reloading. Way more than things like .223 or 9 mm

Yes definitely save the brass.
Depends how often you shoot. The other thing to look at is when there’s an ammo drought like after SH, being able to make your own ammo is HUGE. Aside from the money saving part.

9mm and LP .45 are good to have for barter in the future. You don't need 1,000's but a few hundred won't take up much room...

Definitely keep. Even if you are a 1 box a year shooter, at the least you'll run into someone who reloads .30-06. If you do reload, you'll recoup the cost of equipment after a couple season if you are a regular shooter.

Always save your brass at min you can easily sell your once fired brass for 10 cents each.
Worth is a funny thing
I started reloading after driving around one saturday to get enough ammo for a shotgun and club rifle match.
So reloading on its face is not a "money saver" what you get to do is load the ammo you want for the firearm you have whenyou want it.
Now if you have time to reload it helps. I generally have a hour or 2 to myself every night. So i do reloading and other things.

i think lee offers better kits.
I own and use Lee stuff
The scale works but they all seem to break?
I dont like the powder measure,
The primer feed system on that is soso.
The powder measure works really well with those coarse stick powders that you’ll most likely use with a Garand 30-06. Works real well with 4064.

To the OP, you’ll definitely want a good single stage if you’re starting with rifle calibers. I get much better consistency resizing on my lee classic cast than with my Hornady LNL progressive.

I size and deprime on the Lee then prime, charge, and seat the bullets on the Hornady. I can really crank out rounds once the brass is prepped.

Just keep in mind that brass prep with rifle calibers is a PITA. You’ll have to clean resize clean off lube, trim, and then chamfer/debur the casemouths. At least the first time around. You probably don’t have to trim chamfer debur every time. But still it’s more involved than pistol calibers.

It’s still worth it though because you can make ammo whenever you want and aren’t really limited by what TSUSA has or what your local dealer has for ammo. You’ll most likely find yourself doing brass prep in batches. Unless you have copious amounts of free time on your hands lol.

Yes definitely save the brass.
Depends how often you shoot. The other thing to look at is when there’s an ammo drought like after SH, being able to make your own ammo is HUGE. Aside from the money saving part.
As long as people accumulate components on a regular basis and build up a stash BEFORE an ammo scare hits. That stuff dries up just like factory ammo does. I know you and others who reload know this, but just thinking some people may have the idea that they can pick up reloading halfway into a drought when theyre having trouble finding ammo only to find that powder and primers are nowhere to be found either.

As long as people accumulate components on a regular basis and build up a stash BEFORE an ammo scare hits. That stuff dries up just like factory ammo does. I know you and others who reload know this, but just thinking some people may have the idea that they can pick up reloading halfway into a drought when theyre having trouble finding ammo only to find that powder and primers are nowhere to be found either.
At this point ImHO if you dont have a 3yrs supply of your normal shooting and your not resupplying as your using uo your inventory your going to be with out ammo/supply

i will restock at around 25-30% I also "buy" my ammo and reloads from myself so theres always a little cash on hand .

As long as people accumulate components on a regular basis and build up a stash BEFORE an ammo scare hits. That stuff dries up just like factory ammo does.

Yep. Even if Trump gets re-elected for 4 more years, the likelihood of the following POTUS being a Dem is huge. Buy your components/tools/training in these fat years...

At this point ImHO if you dont have a 3yrs supply of your normal shooting and your not resupplying as your using uo your inventory your going to be with out ammo/supply

i will restock at around 25-30% I also "buy" my ammo and reloads from myself so theres always a little cash on hand .

The second part is important.

I always remember a mentor once telling me that the company they worked for always had a good 4th quarter buy only selling trucks but not building any. 1st quarter though, rough stuff because they had minimal inventory to sell from.

Back
Top Bottom