Garand or SKS?

That $200 for $500 deal would get you there?

It would get me to the $650 for the rack grade special, but still holding out for my bonus. Putting on the pressure as they still rework year end numbers.

That plus letting the time tick by means I might have my C&R and evaluate where I want to dedicate other funds (depending on the size of the bonus).

Appreciate the offer though.

It would get me to the $650 for the rack grade special, but still holding out for my bonus. Putting on the pressure as they still rework year end numbers.

That plus letting the time tick by means I might have my C&R and evaluate where I want to dedicate other funds (depending on the size of the bonus).

Appreciate the offer though.
At least apply and get the card $200 cash back for spending $500 is a good deal

I’ve already chimed in, I’m not intending to derail OPs initial inquiry, but I feel that this *may* be worth “asking” here....

We see these rebuilt Garands for $650 with new this-and-that, but have (potentially heavy) pitting...then we see some for $750 that may or may not have new this-and-that but don’t have noteworthy pitting....So, What does the NES brain trust suggest is the better “choice”: more pitting with “new” parts OR less pitting with parts that have stories...?

How much does pitting impact a rifle?

Perhaps this may help the OP in the decision...

I’ve already chimed in, I’m not intending to derail OPs initial inquiry, but I feel that this *may* be worth “asking” here....

We see these rebuilt Garands for $650 with new this-and-that, but have (potentially heavy) pitting...then we see some for $750 that may or may not have new this-and-that but don’t have noteworthy pitting....So, What does the NES brain trust suggest is the better “choice”: more pitting with “new” parts OR less pitting with parts that have stories...?

Definitely will help between the two options of Garand for me.

Into a 2 week holding pattern waiting on money details.

Ymmv... but.. what does a 500-600 Garand look like? Is that like the jeeps you used to buy for $100? You just need to get it from Guadalcanal, where it has been sitting in the surf for 70 years?

”some pitting” as in lost at Gold beach and dug up by inspector Clousseau with his metal detector in 1956?

Ymmv... but.. what does a 500-600 Garand look like? Is that like the jeeps you used to buy for $100? You just need to get it from Guadalcanal, where it has been sitting in the surf for 70 years?

”some pitting” as in lost at Gold beach and dug up by inspector Clousseau with his metal detector in 1956?

This was the only example I had come up of someone posting pictures

These $650 specials are built off receivers that have surface imperfections. Especially along the area of the “wood line”
They are checked , refinished and put back into the hands of citizens.
CMP is putting out the $650 specials in hopes to get more shooters. Involved in cmp games.
New barrel new wood and in spec parts that are not refinished. Much like many match rifles through out the years.
If you want a potentially “better” shooter a cmp field grade special might be a better choice than a $750 service grade. Although most service grades come with new wood it will be as a issued M1 would be like.
If you just want a ocasional plinker that looks the part and had a been there done that look a regular rack or field grade?

mac1911 needs a new NES handle...

"macM1" sounds about right...

Guadalcanal?? Considering how it came to be there... I'd hang it over the fireplace.

FYI.. stopped in Great Road Firearms on Rte 62/117 in Stow MA this afternoon. They had 3 M1 Garands for sale. I think he said starting at $1100. They also had a bunch of other milsurps, but no prices on anything so you have to ask.

Also had PPU, 30-06 M1 Garand ammo for $13.99/box. A very good price at only about $1.50 more than TSUSA and much better than the $20/box at Competition Shooting Sports in Pawtucket. They also had Hornady Match ammo at about $23, I think. They seemed to stock a ton of different calibers given the small size of the place.

Ok, so I got the money together.

Should I:

a) Service Grade Garand ($750)

b) Rack Grade Special ($650)

c) CMP special ($1050)

d) Buy $1000 worth of HiPoint carbines
A and then buy some PPU ammo from TSUSA. That's what I did when I first got my garand (service grade).

Ok so looking to get a semi auto mil surp. Have $500 set aside and waiting to find out if and how much for bonus (would be first year so no context for amount).

If the bonus doesn't come through, easy get an SKS.

If the Bonus is HUGE then I could afford both but that is unlikely.

Have always wanted a garand, but ammo will be expensive (at least untill I also save up for reloading gear)

So if things are somewhere in between, which should I get?

Is it better to get something less expensive where ammo is cheaper also, or get the classic that I have wanted but is more expensive to get to the range.

(Peeled $100 off my "first rifle" budget and bought a Marlin 60 so I do have an as cheap as possible shooter on the rifle range)
Both my friend!

Ok, so I got the money together.

Should I:

a) Service Grade Garand ($750)

b) Rack Grade Special ($650)

c) CMP special ($1050)

d) Buy $1000 worth of HiPoint carbines

(d), and embrace the VALUE!!! ;););)

(In all seriousness, I'd say go with a Rack Grade and then use the rest to get reloading equipment)

A and then buy some PPU ammo from TSUSA. That's what I did when I first got my garand (service grade).

Thanks for the vote, that is the most likely route I think. That and/or investing in reloading equipment right away.

Currently I have to figure out how much of my bonus is "fun money", it was generous and with the wife at home with a baby I am not going to play "Its my money I will spend it as I want" with someone who has gotten bitten by a baby 300x more than me in the past few months. Also you know, good financial planning means you don't spend all your money all the time....

Both my friend!

Thanks for the vote, will have to see how much I have left after and if I want to go that direction or will get distracted by another rifle in the interim.

(d), and embrace the VALUE!!! ;););)

(In all seriousness, I'd say go with a Rack Grade and then use the rest to get reloading equipment)

That was one of the ideas that drove me towards a rack special. I am split on whether I will get reloading equipment now or if I will bank the money and make myself save for it. Given political stuff I could also front myself the money and force myself to pay it back. TBD

I am split on whether I will get reloading equipment now or if I will bank the money and make myself save for it. Given political stuff I could also front myself the money and force myself to pay it back. TBD
If time is an issue (especially having a baby), and it's just 30-06 you want to reload, I'd start with the PPU ammo for now then reload later once you have some brass.

I also say this because reloading rifle is a PITA [laugh] and much more time consuming than pistol. BUT it is satisfying and worth it.

If time is an issue (especially having a baby), and it's just 30-06 you want to reload, I'd start with the PPU ammo for now then reload later once you have some brass.

I was thinking that. The only alternate path might be to getting a press and starting to reload with .38 while I gather .30-06 brass.

Back
Top Bottom