Garand or SKS?

If time is an issue (especially having a baby), and it's just 30-06 you want to reload, I'd start with the PPU ammo for now then reload later once you have some brass.

I also say this because reloading rifle is a PITA [laugh] and much more time consuming than pistol. BUT it is satisfying and worth it.

that's what I'm doing.. unless the wife and kids get me set up with a press kit for my birthday at the end of the month :)

NO option d!

What about option e) A CMP Special with the pitted receiver...new wood n barrel...(in the $650-$700 wheelhouse)

Sorry about that - misread...

No problem, this is a run-on thread that my mind was basically made up way before I even posted.

Forms, and my documents are sitting on my desk waiting for me to put my order and mail tomorrow. Probably just getting the service grade, just shaking out the last doubts

Google.

Got it, was looking at one of their eBay listings, just did not know if any varient was better than others. It's an inexpensive item anyway so just didn't want to knowingly buy a poor quality one when good ones are just marginally more money.

OP, you know Subconsciously, you put them in the exact order YOU want to get them...Right???

As to enblocs, get them when you order your rifle...

Link for clips at CMP:
Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore
PC014.jpg

If you buy Private Sale, PM me and I liberate you a dozen or so...

Got it, was looking at one of their eBay listings, just did not know if any varient was better than others. It's an inexpensive item anyway so just didn't want to knowingly buy a poor quality one when good ones are just marginally more money.
all the new manufactured ones can be a crap shoot. i have not heard much of problems lately. Some are very heavily parked and may need a bit in the tumbler or a clean up with a 3m pad.

Thanks for the vote, that is the most likely route I think. That and/or investing in reloading equipment right away.

Currently I have to figure out how much of my bonus is "fun money", it was generous and with the wife at home with a baby I am not going to play "Its my money I will spend it as I want" with someone who has gotten bitten by a baby 300x more than me in the past few months. Also you know, good financial planning means you don't spend all your money all the time....

Thanks for the vote, will have to see how much I have left after and if I want to go that direction or will get distracted by another rifle in the interim.
Get a CMP Garand first, then pick up the Commie rifle. When I pick up my Garand I feel like a reincarnated WWII warrior!!!!

Call cmp and ask if the half off ammo deal is still available with purchase of M1.

Oh dang, already put it in the mail and ordered 500 rounds of PPU. Is the CMP ammo worth it? Just spent a bunch of money and now the nagging house stuff is over the shoulder till I figure out my tax return.

No problem, this is a run-on thread that my mind was basically made up way before I even posted.

Forms, and my documents are sitting on my desk waiting for me to put my order and mail tomorrow. Probably just getting the service grade, just shaking out the last doubts
Can you please let me know what you order? I'm thinking of getting something myself, and my budget is about the same as yours.

Ordered the Service Grade, put the paperwork in the mail today.
Hope you draw a great rifle! Oh, and they're ALL great!
Keep an eye out for NES Classifieds HXP ammo. It comes up from time to time and I've see some very good deals here...
~Enbloc

Some like this:
1579218331878.jpeg
Some like this:
1579218368748.jpeg

Hope you draw a great rifle! Oh, and they're ALL great!
Keep an eye out for NES Classifieds HXP ammo. It comes up from time to time and I've see some very good deals here...
~Enbloc

Some like this:
View attachment 325007
Some like this:
View attachment 325009

Will keep my eye out.

Have a case of PPU on the way, unlike the garand that order was fulfilled and on the way already! (Got shipped before postal even picked up from the mail box outside my office)

Don't forget to save your once-fired brass for reloading. Or get them over to someone who does! By the way, can anyone comment on accuracy of .308 Garand vs 30-06? Consensus is that the .308 has less recoil, but I'm interested to see if accuracy is better too . . . .

Don't forget to save your once-fired brass for reloading. Or get them over to someone who does! By the way, can anyone comment on accuracy of .308 Garand vs 30-06? Consensus is that the .308 has less recoil, but I'm interested to see if accuracy is better too . . . .

.308 Win vs 30-06 Springfield Ammo

And here is a U.S.N. document on the 7.62x51 NATO (.308) in the M1 Garand Navy...
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/NavyGarand762ConversionReport.pdf

While the M1 .30cal Rifle can be made to fire the 7.62x51 NATO, it was designed and perfected for the 30.06 M2 Ball ammo.
Duration of powder burn time and pressures created can effect the gas-operating system which was designed for M2 Ball.
That is not to say, that the M1 chambered in .308 is a 'bad thing' it is just a modification that the U.S. Navy required to meet NATO Specs and so
they did not have to buy the new M14's.
Remember, the Navy was happy with the M1903's and A3's, but had to update to the M1. Now they were looking at having to update to the M14's? Nope.
Navy cheaped out and got a work-around... The .308 M1 (first the Mk2 Mod0, then the Mk2 Mod1)

Here is a nice Bruce Canfield Garand History Lesson from Dec of 2013 American Rifleman...
7.62x51 mm NATO U.S. Navy Garand Rifles

Harley-Davidson guys might recognize the company who the Navy tasked to convert the M1's and machine the Mk2 Mod0 chamber bushing inserts... Bowlers too!
amf-logo_0.png

Last edited:
Drive down to Anniston and pick your own, it's worth it. And spend a couple days at the range in Taladaga 😀

Oh dang, already put it in the mail and ordered 500 rounds of PPU. Is the CMP ammo worth it? Just spent a bunch of money and now the nagging house stuff is over the shoulder till I figure out my tax return.
i think that deal expired anyway? It was for Creedmoor ammunition and its a bit more expensive

The most accurate M1's I've seen are all .308.

Back
Top Bottom