• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garand or SKS?

Ok so looking to get a semi auto mil surp. Have $500 set aside and waiting to find out if and how much for bonus (would be first year so no context for amount).

If the bonus doesn't come through, easy get an SKS.

If the Bonus is HUGE then I could afford both but that is unlikely.

Have always wanted a garand, but ammo will be expensive (at least untill I also save up for reloading gear)

So if things are somewhere in between, which should I get?

Is it better to get something less expensive where ammo is cheaper also, or get the classic that I have wanted but is more expensive to get to the range.

(Peeled $100 off my "first rifle" budget and bought a Marlin 60 so I do have an as cheap as possible shooter on the rifle range)

Ok so looking to get a semi auto mil surp. Have $500 set aside and waiting to find out if and how much for bonus (would be first year so no context for amount).

If the bonus doesn't come through, easy..............................
I have both. I would 'enter the market' with the Garand. Ammo can be had if you shop. You'll never be sorry.

Get an SKS if you want later down the road. Lots of options.

Just my NSHO........

If the bonus doesn't come through, easy get an SKS.

If the Bonus is HUGE then I could afford both but that is unlikely.

Have always wanted a garand, but ammo will be expensive (at least untill I also save up for reloading gear)

So if things are somewhere in between, which should I get?

Is it better to get something less expensive where ammo is cheaper also, or get the classic that I have wanted but is more expensive to get to the range.

(Peeled $100 off my "first rifle" budget and bought a Marlin 60 so I do have an as cheap as possible shooter on the rifle range)
I like my SKS but really when it comes to actual shooting the garand gets the knod.

Now ammo
Right now M1 Garand safe ammo can be had at 64 cents per round....
Ig you get a M1 in 7.62Nato/308 you can save another 10 cents per round.
x39 cheap ammo is 1/2 that BUT are you going shoot the same amount of ammo ? The ammo cost is of no concern if your going to blast 2x as much ammo because its cheaper?

Any how having a few SKS and other x39 choices I only bring them out for mag dump plinking.

Getting into reloading is not expensive: Why dont you get a reloading set up 1st then pick up a Garand ?

for not much more than a SKS you can get a fine shooter grade M1 from the CMP for $650

RM1SPECIALRACK​
CMP Special Rack Grade (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a partially refurbished rifle with a refinished M1 receiver, new production criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver is the only part of the rifle that has been refinished. Remainder of the other parts have NOT been refinished.
Receiver will have heavy pitting above the wood line.

$650
Free Shipping

I have both. I would 'enter the market' with the Garand. Ammo can be had if you shop. You'll never be sorry.

Get an SKS if you want later down the road. Lots of options.

Just my NSHO........
This. Garand and you can find ammo at decent prices if you look.

Both.

Believe me.

FWIW, Cabela’s in Berlin has SKS’s for around $400 (yeah, I know - not the $89 deals my old man tells me about...)

And you can get a CMP Garand for as “affordable” as $650 right now...

This way you can get both, shoot both, and really know for yourself

Didn't OP make a thread like this before? Two, actually.

Semi-Auto Rifle Options Under $800?

Details on Converting Garand to .308?

OP, you're clearly mulling the idea and what's holding you back is funds (which I totally understand). Ask yourself these questions:

*What am I going to do with the rifle?
*Where am I going to shoot this rifle?
*Am I going to invest in reloading equipment?
*Am I going to participate in competitive shooting?
*What's actually holding me back from buying both?

If you're going to shoot at a regular gun club rifle range and not compete with either rifle, then it doesn't matter and I'd say buy whatever one you find more comfortable to handle. If you're going to compete, you're probably going to shoot CMP, which seals it for the Garand and reloading for the Garand. If you're shooting something other than CMP, you're looking at two very inappropriate rifles - you can shoot say 3-gun with a SKS or a Garand but winning would be... difficult. If you simply do not want to reload ammo, go with the SKS.

I like my SKS but really when it comes to actual shooting the garand gets the knod.

Now ammo
Right now M1 Garand safe ammo can be had at 64 cents per round....
Ig you get a M1 in 7.62Nato/308 you can save another 10 cents per round.
x39 cheap ammo is 1/2 that BUT are you going shoot the same amount of ammo ? The ammo cost is of no concern if your going to blast 2x as much ammo because its cheaper?

Any how having a few SKS and other x39 choices I only bring them out for mag dump plinking.

Getting into reloading is not expensive: Why dont you get a reloading set up 1st then pick up a Garand ?

for not much more than a SKS you can get a fine shooter grade M1 from the CMP for $650

RM1SPECIALRACK​
CMP Special Rack Grade (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a partially refurbished rifle with a refinished M1 receiver, new production criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver is the only part of the rifle that has been refinished. Remainder of the other parts have NOT been refinished.
Receiver will have heavy pitting above the wood line.

$650
Free Shipping

Good to know you use the x39 stuff more for plunking/mag dumps

Is the rack grade special a better idea than a service grade. Had been leaning towards a service grade but easily swayed by someone who knows better. More money for ammo and accessories is good.

Didn't OP make a thread like this before? Two, actually.

Semi-Auto Rifle Options Under $800?

Details on Converting Garand to .308?

OP, you're clearly mulling the idea and what's holding you back is funds (which I totally understand). Ask yourself these questions:

*What am I going to do with the rifle?
*Where am I going to shoot this rifle?
*Am I going to invest in reloading equipment?
*Am I going to participate in competitive shooting?
*What's actually holding me back from buying both?

If you're going to shoot at a regular gun club rifle range and not compete with either rifle, then it doesn't matter and I'd say buy whatever one you find more comfortable to handle. If you're going to compete, you're probably going to shoot CMP, which seals it for the Garand and reloading for the Garand. If you're shooting something other than CMP, you're looking at two very inappropriate rifles - you can shoot say 3-gun with a SKS or a Garand but winning would be... difficult. If you simply do not want to reload ammo, go with the SKS.

Yeah fairly made up but waiting on funds along with second guessing myself.

Oh and I reread both of those threads while up by the fire Christmas morning!

asv761__01.jpg

Garand has better sights, higher cool factor. SKS is lighter with cheaper ammo. I reload so ammo is less of an issue.

Garands will eventually dry up and afaik, non-CMP rifles are already going for >$1k. If its something you always wanted, Id get my hands on a CMP garand before they run out (not like its going to happen next week, but they will eventually run out) and pick up an SKS at some later point if I still had a hankering.

PPU sells Garand-safe ammo in a can for ~$0.59 per round vs

30.06 approx. cost to load...
once fired brass- 0.0
winch. lrp- 0.03
~42 grains IMR 4895- 0.14
150 grain bulk bullet- 0.20
168 grain SMK- 0.33

$0.37- $0.50 per round reloads or $0.59 per round for PPU 30.06 vs $0.18 per for Wolf 762x39.

So SKS much cheaper any way you look at it. CMP garand, 500 rounds of PPU, some enblocs and a sling is probably going to be a little over $1k. I have both and if I was forced to give up one, Id keep the Garand in a heartbeat. Kind of feel the SKS's will always be floating around out there and will always be cheaper.

Good to know you use the x39 stuff more for plunking/mag dumps

Is the rack grade special a better idea than a service grade. Had been leaning towards a service grade but easily swayed by someone who knows better. More money for ammo and accessories is good.

Yeah fairly made up but waiting on funds along with second guessing myself.

Oh and I reread both of those threads while up by the fire Christmas morning!

You get the ammo quality you pay for, either in whole ammo or in components. The cheap x39 shoots like crap and smells like ammonia when shot. Decently-made x39 shoots fine. I'm going to blaspheme and reveal a nugget of truth: a Garand, especially a Rack Grade or a Service Grade, is a 2-4MOA rifle. A SKS is a 2-4MOA rifle, maybe 3-5, 3-6. If you shoot crap M2 Ball out of a Garand with a shot out barrel, you'll get crap for hits. If you shoot good ammo out of a good barrell, you'll make good hits with either rifle. Garands have been through multiple wars usually. The SKS carbines we see here in the US typically haven't seen multiple wars and decades of drill use.

The difference in accuracy between the two guns opens up once you add distance to the equation. The SKS is a manifestation of the WW2-era realization that most combat occurs within 400 meters. The Garand predates WW2 and was designed with lessons from WW1, an environment where troops needed very long range capability combined with a need to lay down fire in, say, a trench raid. Just look at the sights and compare them.

So, how much is accuracy worth to you? Do you want enough accuracy to justify spending the extra cash on the Garand and (typically) better quality ammo?

Garand...if you go the CMP route, it will take some effort and time to get one. You'll eventually own both haha. Priv Partisan ammo can be found online for a decent price.

By some effort do you mean the paperwork? I figured that was a push compared to having to drive around and check out what stores have.

Quick follow up: SKS may lead you down the AK road while the Garand may lead you to M1A Lane...

LOTS of options and paths out there....

Garand first, SKS can be found anytime down the road. They're everywhere and still cheap.

Garand also has far better sights.

Not two rifles that are usually compared. I don't know of too many people who would logically choose an SKS over a Garand if all else was equal, but that's the point: nothing about the two is equal.

Neither is likely to be banned, tinfoil aside, and where the Garand is getting scarcer the SKS is... well, not getting as scarcer. They shoot a different round, operate in very different ways, and reflect two completely different doctrinal philosophies in terms of design, manufacture, maintenance, and intended tactical use.

I'm not sure I quite understand the comparison, to be honest.

Ive been into guns for a few years now, long enough for a license renewal at least. Something ive learned is that its beat to get the gun you really want and not skimp on something that seems only adequate.

Years ago i bought a ruger SR pistol because they didnt have a glock in the store i was visiting. A few months later i sold the ruger and bought a glock. It wound up costing me a few hundred bucks to eat that loss and get what i actually wanted.

That said id get the garand. Its iconic. Its historical. Its not always going to be available. Ammo will be a little more expensive, but well worth it for what youll get. Get an sks later on. Theyre nice but they dont excel at anything like a modern semi auto does.

Have you shot both?

I bought the Garand because, Garand. Hated it. Too short a LOP, clunky odd feel to it, muzzle heavy, and just bad ergonomics in general. Traded it for a Marlin 336 and never regretted it.

SKS was $60 from the Fair, picked out of a barrel. Way better bang for the buck back then. Not as cool, and way more money now. Sold it because I needed money. Might replace someday.

If I had to buy one of them, I’d go Gar because to me it feels better, but I’ve no real interest in either.

Anyway, just make sure you want either one before you spend money on it. Don’t buy just because everyone says they’re great.

I think the OP, Mr. Engine, was not trying to compare the two platforms, but was instead saying he had $500 on hand now and wanted to know if he should "pull the trigger" on an SKS.
or parlay it into a Garand...

Not two rifles that are usually compared. I don't know of too many people who would logically choose an SKS over a Garand if all else was equal, but that's the point: nothing about the two is equal.

Neither is likely to be banned, tinfoil aside, and where the Garand is getting scarcer the SKS is... well, not getting as scarcer. They shoot a different round, operate in very different ways, and reflect two completely different doctrinal philosophies in terms of design, manufacture, maintenance, and intended tactical use.

I'm not sure I quite understand the comparison, to be honest.

I get where OP is coming from.

He's in Mass. So there's no $400 ARs available to him or $700 WASRs or anything similar. He doesn't seem to have a strong interest, based on this thread and others, in competitive shooting with whatever he buys. Which means making .30 caliber holes in paper from a gun club shooting bench or firing line. Both the M1 and the SKS will make .30 caliber holes in paper at 100 yards. Both will roughly get the same accuracy, assuming ammo of equivalent accuracy, at 100 yards with a normal shooter. Both are C&R eligible.

When you peel back the layers of nostalgia, get rid of the General Patton quotes, and view this from the perspective of someone who isn't really concerned with the guns' ballistic capabilities, it makes more sense. Really, with a M1, that's a lot of what you're buying - nostalgia. Is that nostalgia and the ability to make better shots beyond 300 yards worth it when you're not lusting for nostalgia or going to shoot over 300 yards?

I think the OP, Mr. Engine, was not trying to compare the two platforms, but was instead saying he had $500 on hand now and wanted to know if he should "pull the trigger" on an SKS.
or parlay it into a Garand...

Also this.

Back
Top Bottom