• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garand or SKS?

OP,

You're worse than my GF. Three threads around what rifle to buy? The answer is the Garand... is this even a question?

This is what you should do
* Order CMP Service Grade via mail order
* Order some PPU M1 ammo from TS while it's still in stock.
* Provide a Range Report

The comments around reloading are good, but it's something you can get into later - once you shoot through and save the brass from the PPU ammo you're buying.

Also, your CMP Garand will hold it's value or go up in price in case you ever need to sell it - can the same be said about an SKS?

As if there are not enough votes for Garand, but...

Garand.

CMP process takes a little work but well worth the effort. GOAL is a qualifying organization and also an org we should all support anyway. For $30, I don't think you are going to find a cheaper way 'in'.

There are a bunch of us who can support you online, via phone, or even in person for anything you might want to do with the Garand.

Garand.

CMP process takes a little work but well worth the effort. GOAL is a qualifying organization and also an org we should all support anyway. For $30, I don't think you are going to find a cheaper way 'in'.

There are a bunch of us who can support you online, via phone, or even in person for anything you might want to do with the Garand.

Well it's "no cost" because I am a member regardless of wanting a CMP rifle.

The process and wait isn't a huge deal as I won't get much time on the range in the winter (dark + cold makes it limited good opportunities to get out there.)

Garand.

"Hey kids, want some crack? Er, uh, Garands? Want some Garands?"

I was going to make a meme of that with John C. Garand but that just feels wrong.

OP,

You're worse than my GF. Three threads around what rifle to buy? The answer is the Garand... is this even a question?

This is what you should do
* Order CMP Service Grade via mail order
* Order some PPU M1 ammo from TS while it's still in stock.
* Provide a Range Report

The comments around reloading are good, but it's something you can get into later - once you shoot through and save the brass from the PPU ammo you're buying.

Also, your CMP Garand will hold it's value or go up in price in case you ever need to sell it - can the same be said about an SKS?

Just extracting all the options I can.

At this point it's mostly the enjoyment of figuring the details while I wait for the money to come in. Once I get the money the paperwork will likely be in the mail as fast as I can get it filled out and notorized.

Oh my god, the boomers are out in force today.
I'm gonna give you the straight dope.

The M1 is a great addition to your collection as it truly is an iconic firearm. It feels beefy, its fun to shoot, and it's a sound financial investment. Unfortunately, that's where its virtues end.

For one thing, the cleaning is a pain in the dick. You have to clean from the muzzle end, need a special tool to clean the chamber, and once its clean, it has to be greased (not just oiled) fairly regularly.
Next, 30.06 is waaaaay more expensive than 7.62x39, and its outrageous that people try to mitigate that by suggesting you reload. Even more importantly, Garand-safe 30.06 is not reliably available locally, so you really need to keep it on hand for any spontaneous range trips.

In terms of performance, the SKS obliterates the M1. Probably because there was more than a decade of firearms technology advancement involved in its design.
It's exponentially easier to take down and clean, requires less maintenance, and replacement parts are far more abundant and affordable. It's also more user friendly, despite what the boomers will tell you. Because 7.62x39 is a far better cartridge for broad use, the SKS is much more smooth shooting and is easier to wield.

Also, theres a couple of gems I wanted to address:

"The M1 is accurate out to just under 1,000 yards."
Maybe if you want to dump a much of money on a new barrel and some NM parts. A CMP Garand is going to be roughly as accurate as an SKS, and given the average range length in MA, it's a non-issue.

"Reloading 30.06 makes the M1 a more viable option."
If you have the money, time, and inclination, sure. But if you're already strapped for cash and limited in free time, you're not gonna want to spend them on reloading equipment and learning to use it. You should never have to learn and invest in such a comprehensive skillset just to support buying a gun. Besides, 7.62x39 is so widely available and affordable, you dont need to reload at all (even non-corrosive).

So yeah, the M1 is cool as hell and will appreciate in value so whichever you pick, I HIGHLY advise you pick one up in the near future.

But solely on merit of performance, the SKS is the clear winner. As Neal Stephenson said, "If you ask a Russian to design you a shoe. He'll come up with something that more closely resembles the box that the shoe should come in. If you ask him to design a device that kills Germans, well all of a sudden he's Thomas f*cking Edison."

I’m surprised no one has posted something off the wall that wasn’t asked. NES is slipping.

Get a FAL.

Now that that is out of the way, one thing the Garand wins in is nostalgia as has been said. My dad used one in Korea, and that was one of the drivers to me getting it. Though, to be honest,he didn’t love the Garand as most do (must be where I get it). He liked his guns depending on what he was doing and the Garand was kind of always second place.

Marching = Carbine for weight but sucks to shoot someone
Combat = BAR for firepower but only wanted to carry if in a vehicle
Sleeping = 1911 to use from the sleeping bag.
In garrison = Thompson because what’s cooler than a Chicago typewriter?

Dad was a practical guy.

I’m surprised no one has posted something off the wall that wasn’t asked. NES is slipping.

Get a FAL.

Now that that is out of the way, one thing the Garand wins in is nostalgia as has been said. My dad used one in Korea, and that was one of the drivers to me getting it. Though, to be honest,he didn’t love the Garand as most do (must be where I get it). He liked his guns depending on what he was doing and the Garand was kind of always second place.

Marching = Carbine for weight but sucks to shoot someone
Combat = BAR for firepower but only wanted to carry if in a vehicle
Sleeping = 1911 to use from the sleeping bag.
In garrison = Thompson because what’s cooler than a Chicago typewriter?

Dad was a practical guy.

Nonsense, in his first thread, I suggested getting a Hi-Point 9x19 carbine. He said he wanted something to punch paper with on a square range and the Hi-Point will do just that for next to no cost.

You bring up another good point: in Mass, you can't do jack shit with a Garand. The gun isn't utilitarian. You shouldn't really hunt with one unless you buy a gas plug or reload your hunting ammo to M2 pressure curve spec. Then you're carrying around a 9-10lbs wood and steel weight. You can't use it for a truck gun because good luck with that in Mass and being .30-06, it'll overpenetrate into everything unless you either live on an island where your backstop is the ocean or in the extreme NW or SW of the state where there's only mountains and Vermont. Overpenetration also removes it from home defense options.

The M1 is a box of nostalgia and an entry level drug into either C&R collecting or CMP shooting. There's nothing really utilitarian about a M1. Back in the 60s and 70s when these guns were just another piece of WW2 surplus, they were sold by the barrel at the local gun store.

Now, a SKS isn't really a utilitarian gun either in Mass, but at least it wouldn't overpenetrate into Pawtucket or Nashua or Woonsocket and would be slightly better as a home defense carbine, sort of like the CommBloc version of Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you dont have a quality AR15 with glass and all supporting stuff plus enough training to be competent, neither of these shitpokes should be on your radar.

I would.

I'm sure the OP will chime in again, but if there's a rush because of concern about bans, this makes more sense. And as long as we're comparing apples to oranges, might as well throw in a pear as well.

Rush because of bans, no. Double no in the case of Garand. Just want to reward myself.

Kind of ambivalent on an ak. Would consider an ar, but if I did it would either be pre 94 or a new non silly priced lower.

However I like old stuff more than new guns. Of the last 3 guns I bought the newest was 1977 maybe.

'garand safe ammo is not available locally' is nonsense. Targetsports will deliver it right to your door FFS! And I think every shop around me carries some form or other - Glenns, Four Seasons, Collectors, etc. There's surplus by HXP, Lake City, and others. There's M1 specific ammo by federal and PPU and one or two others as I recall. You certainly don't need to grease it or scrub the chamber each time you use it if you use good quality grease and decent ammo. Cleaning from the muzzle is no more difficult than cleaning from the breech.

Rush because of bans, no. Double no in the case of Garand. Just want to reward myself.

Kind of ambivalent on an ak. Would consider an ar, but if I did it would either be pre 94 or a new non silly priced lower.

However I like old stuff more than new guns. Of the last 3 guns I bought the newest was 1977 maybe.
I hear you man. I had to throw the AK ther because we are 3 pages IN and this thread stayed pretty much on topic. :)

'garand safe ammo is not available locally' is nonsense. Targetsports will deliver it right to your door FFS! And I think every shop around me carries some form or other - Glenns, Four Seasons, Collectors, etc. There's surplus by HXP, Lake City, and others. There's M1 specific ammo by federal and PPU and one or two others as I recall. You certainly don't need to grease it or scrub the chamber each time you use it if you use good quality grease and decent ammo. Cleaning from the muzzle is no more difficult than cleaning from the breech.
Its Friday and I shot all my 30.06. I live near Worcester. If I wanted to shoot my Garand, I'd either have to drive an hour to get ammo, or wait for TSUSA until next weekend.
Also, I didn't say you had to grease it every time you use it, I simply said it needs to be greased regularly, which is something I dont have to do with my SKS.

Also, you should never have to clean from the muzzle, especially on a 75+ year old rifle.

I hear you man. I had to throw the AK ther because we are 3 pages IN and this thread stayed pretty much on topic. :)

Thread drift appreciated. I was fairly solid on it back in October so now it really is just Killing time waiting to see what other funds I have to play with.

Its Friday and I shot all my 30.06. I live near Worcester. If I wanted to shoot my Garand, I'd either have to drive an hour to get ammo, or wait for TSUSA until next weekend.
Also, I didn't say you had to grease it every time you use it, I simply said it needs to be greased regularly, which is something I dont have to do with my SKS.

Also, you should never have to clean from the muzzle, especially on a 75+ year old rifle.

I have to grease my shotgun anyway, guess I will go through the tub twice as fast.

I‘ve got more 30.06 in the basement than I’ll shoot in my life. Mostly Greek surplus in sealed tins.

I smear a little grease on the receiver in the bolt tracks. That takes less than 5 seconds. What’s the big deal? And field stripping a Garand is not hard.

Yeah "local" needs to be quantified. I live within 25 minutes of about four gunstores, and I know at least two of them always have M1-safe ammo. Depends on one's location and shop selection.
Then again, I also have Targetsports prime.
Double then again, I got into reloading precisely for the M1, and haven't bought factory M2 ball in forever.
At last calculation I have enough brass to last about 35 years assuming four loads per piece.
Coupled with the 16 cent 308 projectiles I had delivered today, I'm making Garand safe ammo for about 33 cents per round.

Yeah "local" needs to be quantified. I live within 25 minutes of about four gunstores, and I know at least two of them always have M1-safe ammo. Depends on one's location and shop selection.
Then again, I also have Targetsports prime.
Double then again, I got into reloading precisely for the M1, and haven't bought factory M2 ball in forever.
At last calculation I have enough brass to last about 35 years assuming four loads per piece.
Coupled with the 16 cent 308 projectiles I had delivered today, I'm making Garand safe ammo for about 33 cents per round.
Neat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191227-132605_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191227-132605_Chrome.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
Just extracting all the options I can.

At this point it's mostly the enjoyment of figuring the details while I wait for the money to come in. Once I get the money the paperwork will likely be in the mail as fast as I can get it filled out and notorized.
Print and fill it out now? Ready to go

Volume of shooting is the real difference maker though.
Assume he shoots 100 rounds a month out of [x] rifle.
That's a whopping $13/month he's saving on shooting 7.62x39 versus rolling his own M2.

If he can't swing $13/month on ammo, he probably shouldn't be looking at rifles in the hundreds "for fun."

If he only shoots 40 rounds a month, that's a yearly price difference of $62.40, or $5.20 a month, making the price difference really irrelevant.

Also OP, if I recall you're a member at Andover. If you do decide to get into reloading, I can give you 100 tumbled cases of 30-06 to start out with if you want provided you can meet some weekday.

Back
Top Bottom