Fun time buying ammo at walmart

I was at walmart buying some ammo and being very new to firearms i Had made the mistake of asking for .45 ACP instead of .45 auto like it is written on the box, dont ask me why i just did.

but anyways after a little confusion he finally found the box of ".45 auto" and as i was ready to make my purchase he says he has to ask me a question, do i like zombies?

Now i was not prepared to answer his qusetion, as a matter of fact i never thought i would be asked this question today, so all i could say was who dose like zombies?

(Thinking if any dead person did in fact get up and start chasing me it would put a damper on my day, so no i would not like them.)

He then gose over to the other side of the ammo case and has me look at the hornaday zombie ammo box. He thinks it looks cool and is funny,

Now i have never seen the hornaday zombie in .45 auto as of yet so i asked if there was any in my caliber. So he hands me a box and tell me more or less it would be cool to buy, apparently he thought they were a gag ammo and he even wanted to get his grandfather a box as a joke,

as he is telling me this i look at the box he gave me and it was for a .308, i dont own a .308 and as green as i am i know buying ammo for the box is not why you buy ammo,

so i passed on the zombie rounds and payed for my ammo and left the store hoping this guy lives in NH and not MA or is licensed because how do you exsplane to a cop if he found zombie ammo on you with out a licence saying you thought it was a joke and make him believe your not crazy.

Last edited:
the zombie ammo is just their standard ammo with green poly instead of red. i havent seen it at walmart yet. i want to get some of the 12ga rounds for my friend because he'll get a laugh out of it.

Zombie Ammo is brilliant marketing. I'm sure everyone will jump on the bandwagon and we will see zombie everything soon.

I'm sure my kid would love to take a bath with "Zombie Mr. Bubble".

(do they still make Mr. Bubble?)

so i passed on the zombie rounds and payed for my ammo and left the store hoping this guy lives in NH and not MA or is licensed because how do you exsplane to a cop if he found zombie ammo on you with out a licence saying you thought it was a joke and make him believe your not crazy.

Dude, you need to lighten up a little [rolleyes]

Zombie Ammo is brilliant marketing. I'm sure everyone will jump on the bandwagon and we will see zombie everything soon.

I'm sure my kid would love to take a bath with "Zombie Mr. Bubble".

(do they still make Mr. Bubble?)

I wouldn't mind a bath with MRS. Bubble myself![smile]

Gearjunky:

Welcome to the world of shooting. Sometimes, it seems that some people have been holding the gun wrong, and the recoli went into their brains. [laugh]

The clerk at wallyworld may not be a shooter, and just thinks that ZombieMax is a cool name (it is brilliat marketing....If it was VampireMax, you'd lose a bunch of Team Edward [shocked]).

Good on you for catching the wrong caliber, too. While there is little chance of mistaking .45ACP for .308, there are others that are "close, but no cigar". I was lookng for .44 mag, and was offered .44 special, once. Since it was to function test a semi-auto rifle, I passed, as I was not sure that it would cycle correctly.

Attention to detail is key.

Even with zombies. [rofl]

A couple years ago, at wallyworld, I bought 10 or so cases of 12 ga for my club. No problem with the clerk, but another ammo customer asked if I was gearing up for the zombiepocalypse. "Aren't you?" I asked him.

Last edited:
I am waiting for the day when someone kills an intruder/attacker with these "Z-Max" rounds (which specifically state ONLY FOR USE ON ZOMBIES) and gets effed by the law for using it on a human.

Also, do you need an LTC or FID to actually SELL ammo/firearms to a consumer or can any person working for a store that sells guns/ammo sell it to a customer?

Also, do you need an LTC or FID to actually SELL ammo/firearms to a consumer or can any person working for a store that sells guns/ammo sell it to a customer?

In MA you need to have a License to Sell Ammunition in order to sell ammo. LTC or FID is for possession or purchasing, etc., not selling. It gets confusing....just like everything else in MA....

Last edited:
I think the question skydiveguy was asking, is "Do all emplyees need to be separately licensed"?

If you, qmmo, hired me, would I need an Ammo License, or would I be covered by yours.

I don't know...it's MA though....everything is illegal in MA.....

I think the question skydiveguy was asking, is "Do all emplyees need to be separately licensed"?

If you, qmmo, hired me, would I need an Ammo License, or would I be covered by yours.

The selling organization has to hold the license. My local FFL just moved into a new portion of the building they are in and I was checking out their licenses (from a question several years back on the same subject). The license is made out to the store's (i.e., business) name. It is the store (business) that is selling the ammo, not the individual.

HTH.

I was at walmart buying some ammo and being very new to firearms i Had made the mistake of asking for .45 APC instead of .45 auto like it is written on the box, dont ask me why i just did.

but anyways after a little confusion he finally found the box of ".45 auto" and as i was ready to make my purchase he says he has to ask me a question, do i like zombies?

Now i was not prepared to answer his qusetion, as a matter of fact i never thought i would be asked this question today, so all i could say was who dose like zombies?

(Thinking if any dead person did in fact get up and start chasing me it would put a damper on my day, so no i would not like them.)

He then gose over to the other side of the ammo case and has me look at the hornaday zombie ammo box. He thinks it looks cool and is funny,

Now i have never seen the hornaday zombie in .45 auto as of yet so i asked if there was any in my caliber. So he hands me a box and tell me more or less it would be cool to buy, apparently he thought they were a gag ammo and he even wanted to get his grandfather a box as a joke,

as he is telling me this i look at the box he gave me and it was for a .308, i dont own a .308 and as green as i am i know buying ammo for the box is not why you buy ammo,

It is kinda goofey marketing but in the end it is standard hornady ammo which in my opinion is a pretty good round to start with. The box alone will bolster hornady's sales based on the simple fact of people buying as gag ammo when in fact it is higher end ammo.

It is kinda goofey marketing but in the end it is standard hornady ammo which in my opinion is a pretty good round to start with. The box alone will bolster hornady's sales based on the simple fact of people buying as gag ammo when in fact it is higher end ammo.

The CD version of their .45 is around 185 grains or so. If I'm carrying my .45 I want 230 grains or what's the point. I go Federal or Speer.

A couple years ago, at wallyworld, I bought 10 or so cases of 12 ga for my club. No problem with the clerk, but another ammo customer asked if I was gearing up for the zombiepocalypse. "Aren't you?" I asked him.

Thats funny, i wish i was a bit quicker with witty responses my self,

IANAL but i believe that the employees are covered under a blanket license held by the store manager. if i am wrong someone will set me straight.

bob

The point I was trying to make is that Walmart has to have someone working the guns/ammo counter. That person that is qualified calls in sick, they put the grocery cart kid on the desk and now you have someone with zero training in the proper use of handguns with all the power to access them and sell them to someone that had to go through a training course, a long wait and interview with police, and fingerprinting.

A friend of mine was buying a pellet gun and was told by the clerk that "you need a license to buy that" and he said "No you don't, but I do have one. Do you have a license??" and they said no.

So I just don't understand how the clerk with access to and selling a restricted item can not have to be fully qualified to do so.

Then again, in this stupid state... you only need to be 16 years old to sell tobacco products, which is restricted to 18+ year olds and you only need to be 18 years old to sell alcohol to 21+ year olds.

Last time I bought ammo at a wal-mart the old person at the counter opened the cabinet, let me pick what I wanted, rang me up (never even asking for my license) and I walked out. I was surprised and wished all transactions were like that.

zmax is just critical defense with a green tip. my shop didnt have critical defense once so I grabbed a box of zmax and they sit in a few mags for my 1911.

The CD version of their .45 is around 185 grains or so. If I'm carrying my .45 I want 230 grains or what's the point. I go Federal or Speer.

I should have been alittle more specific I was talking about the rifle rounds. I use hornady for hunting season for deer and coyote and it has always performed well for me. I haven't used the critical defense pistol ammo but I would agree I also carry 230 grain.

Last time I bought ammo at a wal-mart the old person at the counter opened the cabinet, let me pick what I wanted, rang me up (never even asking for my license) and I walked out. I was surprised and wished all transactions were like that.

Sounds like Bellingham, the woman that helped me looked like she was collecting social security when Jesus was in short pants.

Back
Top Bottom