full auto build

I have my LTC-E (automatic weapons). Does this allow me to build a M-4? Is it even possible to get NFA lowers and BCG's and other NFA compliant parts?

How does one get that license and not know the answer to that question?

I appologize, I didnt think the question was out of the realm. With the license I can possess, shoot, own, fondle, and carress a machine gun...I simply did not know if I could assemble one like most people do with AR's. After all some one can build a SBR if the proper avenues are followed. Shame on me for asking a question that I thought was reasonable...I thought that was what this forum was about

I appologize, I didnt think the question was out of the realm. With the license I can possess, shoot, own, fondle, and carress a machine gun...I simply did not know if I could assemble one like most people do with AR's. After all some one can build a SBR if the proper avenues are followed. Shame on me for asking a question that I thought was reasonable...I thought that was what this forum was about

If you can find a striped receiver that was previously registered as a machine gun, you can build it up.

Full auto is different than an SBR. In '86, FOPA prevented the mfg and import of any new transferable-to-regular-people machine guns.

Start saving.

If you can find one and want to pay for a registered DIAS (what are they now, $8K? $10K?), you can build up an AR-15 and pop that sucker into it (along with the correct fire control parts).

Last edited:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be an A**hole about it. I just re-read my post and it did come across that way. What I really meant, and didn't express well, was that, in my limited experience with associates who have received or attempted to obtain a "green card" in MA, it was incredibly complicated and or time consuming. Thus by the time they got theirs, they seemed to be virtual lawyers on all subjects related.

What I really meant, and didn't express well, was that, in my limited experience with associates who have received or attempted to obtain a "green card" in MA, it was incredibly complicated and or time consuming.

It's really not. Assuming you have a Class A, just get a C&R, then apply for a Class E using the same application that you would for a LTC/FID.

Now, actually buying a machine gun takes a while and requires additional paperwork.

You can assemble one if you find a transferable (i.e., pre-86) lower or auto sear. If you go the manufacturer route, you'll find there is a $500/year SOT (special occupational tax) on top of the regular FFL license fee. Becoming a dealer instead of a manufacturer won't help that much, since you can only get post 1986 samples for inventory if you get a letter for a LE agency requesting a demo (even though you are in a green town, I know they round-file all the letters they get from hobbyist Class III dealers requesting demo letters).

Do you actually have to manufacture something if you want to get the 07 FFL? Do you have to have a location separate from your home?

Thats correct unless a mass law states different.

I did this some years ago, Found a guy walking through the Big Reno Gun Show that has a paper bag in his hands and a sign Receiver for sale.

At the time I was looking for a Title I lower but I found a Title II lower.

He had a transferable SGW M16 lower.

I bought it and a M60 he had for 2000.00 total.

The transfer fees were 400.00 for the both of them, 200.00 each.

In able to buildup a post 1986 MG you would need to be a SOT Class 2 or Class 3 and hold a least a 01 FFL.

BTW just for anyone's info that wants to sound reasonably intelligent about this topic, when you speak of the weapons they are either Title II or NFA.
They are not Class 3 Weapons, Class 3 refers to the NFA Dealer.

More info on NFA Weapons.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/

If you can find a striped receiver that was previously registered as a machine gun, you can build it up.

Do you actually have to manufacture something if you want to get the 07 FFL? Do you have to have a location separate from your home?

With the 07 you get dealer priviledges and in Mass you need the State dealer license. You also need a place to keep your books which is not a residence. They frown on your using your license just to "enhance a personal collection". You are not obligated to make or sell anything. In the last 27 yrs I've learned that if you comply with all the laws and jump thru all the hoops and keep good records they will be happy with you. The ATF guys like nothing better than to conduct an audit and find everything in order. Remember, if you get a Federal license, you agree to get into bed with them. Jack.

Remember, if you get a Federal license, you agree to get into bed with them. Jack.

The last thing I want to do is wake up with an ATF agent next to me drooling on the pillow.

In all seriousness I think a lot of guys would try going the 07 route if they thought they could try enhancing their own collection that way. Like you mentioned before though the ATF doesn't exactly want to hand them out so folks can do that. We would probably have as many 07's as C+R holders around here if that was the case.

It's really not. Assuming you have a Class A, just get a C&R, then apply for a Class E using the same application that you would for a LTC/FID.

Now, actually buying a machine gun takes a while and requires additional paperwork.

In retelling the experience to me, neither made any distinction between obtaining the license and the firearm.

The last thing I want to do is wake up with an ATF agent next to me drooling on the pillow.

In all seriousness I think a lot of guys would try going the 07 route if they thought they could try enhancing their own collection that way. Like you mentioned before though the ATF doesn't exactly want to hand them out so folks can do that. We would probably have as many 07's as C+R holders around here if that was the case.

Getting the 07 FFL is not difficult if you are in compliance with all the terms and conditions. Getting the tax stamp just means writing the check for $500 each year. The problem is with the tax. You will be able to aquire NFA items without paying the transfer tax. If you pay for the tax stamp for say, 15 years, and have a few items in inventory, that is very different from getting the tax stamp for one year and bringing in 10 items. Tax evasion is what you need to avoid. Jack.

Keep in mind that if you ever sell any of these title II weapons that you acquired having the SOT status after you drop the SOT status you will pay a tax when the weapon or weapons are transferred to anyone holding a SOT or not.

That tax is 200.00 a pop.

I experienced this first hand back a few years ago.

Getting the 07 FFL is not difficult if you are in compliance with all the terms and conditions. Getting the tax stamp just means writing the check for $500 each year. The problem is with the tax. You will be able to acquire NFA items without paying the transfer tax. If you pay for the tax stamp for say, 15 years, and have a few items in inventory, that is very different from getting the tax stamp for one year and bringing in 10 items. Tax evasion is what you need to avoid. Jack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom