Fudd Quotes at The Range

While I was sighting in a long gun at a local club, a fudd came over and started looking through my spotting scope at my target. Then he says that my rifle is a hell of a good shooter but that I shouldn't be shooting a .50 cal. on the clubs range. I just laughed and continued shooting, so he came over again and said, hey son, didn't you hear me. I said yes, I heard you and continued to shoot. Again he says son, you can't shoot that .50cal. here. I cleared and put down the long gun and said you need to get a couple of things strait. He said what's that. I said don't call me son. You don't look remotely like my dad and I'm not shooting a .50 cal. and if you can't the difference between a .50 cal. and Remington 1100, you should keep quiet so people won't know how little you know about guns.
Is that something a fudd said to you? lol.

After seeing that stuffed grizzly in the gun shop in Maine, there's no way I'd go toe to toe with a Grizzly with only a .44 magnum. Would you? lol.

Last edited:
"That's an awful lot of ammunition....are you going to war?"
"I don't plan to start one, but I do intend to survive one if it starts."

A little while later my kid and a couple of other people were changing targets and one of the geniuses picks up his rifle and slaps home a full mag.
It had been a while since I have gone 2/3 retard on someone and this idiot won the prize that day.
That's why you carry a pistol on the rifle range: you never know when you might need to stick it in some jackwad's ear.

Oh, and never go semi-full retard. ;)

hey sonny, ya know what a cow looks like?
"Pretty sure I do, but can I see a picture of your wife just in case?"

After seeing that stuffed grizzly in the gun shop in Maine, there's no way I'd go toe to toe with a Grizzly with only a .44 magnum. Would you? lol.
Beats the hell out of throwing rocks or playing dead.

Now for my personal funny, which wasn't so much Fudd as laughable.

I hauled out my usual assortment of C&Rs just to limber them up, and there was only one other shooter on the rifle range. We were a respectful four benches apart. I noticed he would shoot one shot from his apparently brand-new bolt action rifle, squint through his spotting scope, then run all around the rifle looking, tweaking, tightening, and adjusting his scope.

Then he'd take another shot, and repeat the whole sequence.

The time between shots was 2-5 minutes, and his agitation grew with every shot. I got the sense that he was afraid to shoot up his entire supply of ammo, that being one 20 round box.

After about 45 minutes, I'd gone through at least 150 rounds through four or five different rifles, so as I packed up and walked past, he was muttering louder than ever. "Got it sighted in yet?" "NO! I can't figure it out!"

I shook my head and went back to my truck to load up.

The guy had no idea where his POI was versus his POA, because he refused to shoot a group before making adjustments.

Bambi was safe from him then, and probably still is 20 years later.

M60 said:

If the choice I had was between a 38 and a 44 at least I think the 44 would give you a chance of winning whereas with a 38 the bear is just going to get pissed off...

If the choice I had was between a 38 and a 44 at least I think the 44 would give you a chance of winning whereas with a 38 the bear is just going to get pissed off...

No question that a .44 magnum is better than a .38 when dealing with a Grizzly, But I'd feel much better if I had a Marlin, 45-70, with 400 gr. hand loads.

No question that a .44 magnum is better than a .38 when dealing with a Grizzly, But I'd feel much better if I had a Marlin, 45-70, with 400 gr. hand loads.

In fairness, I wasn't referring to monsters like the one you mentioned, but something slightly larger than your average trash eating MA black bear. If I'm looking at a grizzly I want my .458 SOCOM, 500 or 600 gr ammo, and at least two or three proven standard capacity mags.

But the point was "nobody needs anything more than .38 special" is a totally f***ing retarded thing to say.

Not a range story but...
FUDD dealer - Century RAS47 and WASR on the wall. Cabinet full of Grocks.

"Hey, can you get in a Zastava Yugo and have the muzzle brake pin/welded?"

FUDD: "No that's manufacturing a firearm"

I don't know if I've ever encountered a fudd before but I did have an old dude and who I perceived to be his granddaughter or child bride with him. every time he called a range cease fire and went down range he had the girl come down and sit at the bench beside me and glare at me until he came back up. I assume she was watching to make sure I didn't touch anything or start shooting while he was down at his target.

Was she cute? You should have stuck your tongue in her ear.

A NES'urrr who's screen name I can't remember pointed out that my East German 74 bakelite mags were high capacity post ban mags,ya know,for my own good.At that moment,I realized that Harvard SC was in a tailspin lol

How do I know he was a member ? Because he was with his buddy and all it seemed they were talking about was threads on NES and they mentioned screen names.

So ya,Fudds also own AR15's and are also members of this site.

Sad to say you are right....I've had the same experience at the same club. Have had several of these exchanges at various ranges there. I joined in 94. Was far more laid back then. My most recent Fudd incident involved non-verbal Fudd rage. I had to open a gas port on a FAL build and was doing some test firing. A shot every 10 seconds or so. Guy on the range next to where I was kept rounding the bend , anxiously pacing back and forth and shooting nasty looks. I think he was waiting for someone else so he could help him channel his anxiety and rage. Waved to him. Got the FAL running correctly, decided to say goodbye with a 20 round mag dump.

"I don't understand why you guys spend more than $400 on a handgun just to shoot steel plates. Its foolish.You can do it with a 6 shot revolver. And why so fast?.
Here, check out this shotgun I just spent 4 grand on just for trap shooting."
$4k is a cheap one. I shoot trap with my beat up old hunting guns and post better scores than dudes using $7k kreighoffs and ceasar guerini guns.

Not a range story but...

The FUDD might not be wrong, depending on whose definitions you use. The ATF is super weird about stuff like that sometimes.

Never been bothered by anyone about the type of firearm/magazine I was shooting and as far as what others have as long as they follow club rules I don't care. The only "grief" I ever got was for my penchant for single shot centerfire rifles as in Buffalo rifles 40 to 45 caliber.

I have had a dealer tell me that he cannot pin/weld of a muzzle device because that would make him a manufacture and he did not have that license.

I said ok and moved on.
Same here. Tried to support the local guy ("Can you run it through a gunsmith before we do the transfer?"), and he wanted no part of it. So, off to someone in-state but non-local who had it on the wall.

Not a range story but...

The FUDD might not be wrong, depending on whose definitions you use. The ATF is super weird about stuff like that sometimes.

I have had a dealer tell me that he cannot pin/weld of a muzzle device because that would make him a manufacture and he did not have that license.

I said ok and moved on.
You need an 07FFL to be able to pin and weld brakes. Not a FUDD issue, ATF issue.

You need an 07FFL to be able to pin and weld brakes. Not a FUDD issue, ATF issue.

Yup, this. The dealer probably had an 01, and to do a pin and weld requires an 07. ATF gets stupid about shit like this, which is yet another reason why you should never bring them into anything if you can't absolutely help it.

Technically that might not be manufacturing but the problem with ATF is depending on the "way the wind is blowing" that day what was okay yesterday is often no longer. Most dealers I know that do in house gunsmithing at this point have all gone 07.

So an 01 can't touch it first before a licensed smith does his thing?

It's probably all legal if the 01 did it that way, its just that most dealers are lazy and don't want to get involved in that kind of crap. EG, say you're a shop and you are massifying a rifle for someone. If you have to job it out you have to transfer that rifle out to someone and log it out, have the work done, pay to have the work done, and log it back
in. All of this adds time/cost on a one off unless you're having a bunch done at once. And if the guy you jobbed it out to f***s it up, now you get to sit there with your ass in your hands with a gun you can't sell. It also introduces a lot of overhead into the whole thing. Dealers want to get shit in and punt it out the door and get their 50 bucks or whatever little they make on it.

-Mike

A couple of years back I took my oldest to the outdoor range for the first time. He did good. Only issue was this old feller who must have thought we could use some help. Wouldn’t leave us alone and he wasn’t the RSO. Nice enough guy but he had the worst case of tarter between his teeth. Litterly rivers if it flowing to his gums. Like a cave. I couldn’t stop looking at it. To this day we still joke about it.

On the positive side, my kid really brushes his teeth.

There was an older feller with a big white beard shooting at our 50yd utility range with what I would guess was his daughter. They had the target really close and she was obviously new. They were shooting slow, had some revolvers, etc. I was shooting my Vector at a steel plate and some other guys came along with ARs, glocks, etc. I was getting some funny looks at the Vector and, being that it was a Vector, I was naturally wasting 9mm ammo as fast as I possibly could. He started walking over and I wondered if I was about to be FUDDed.

He comes over and asks if he can shoot it. Sure thing. I had been BSing with the other AR guys so he finishes shooting the Vector, turns to us, and says, "anyone want to shoot my suppressed glock?"

That's why I shoot in NH!!! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom