• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fudd Quotes at The Range

3. Lastly there is this one 55ish guy who "teaches" new people how to shoot (as in they pay him because they don't know better). Every time I see him at the range I cringe. He is a god-awful instructor. All he does is yell "FRONT SIGHT" at them as they teacup a pistol. When they miss he just yells "FRONT SIGHT" more/louder. Hey a$$hole, teach them how to hold it properly first and then work on the rest. If I could get them away from him for like 3 minutes I could show them how to hold it for free, but I really don't want to deal with the "instructor."

He's not wrong though. Not directed at you, but some of the most mediocre shooters including Fudds love to offer unsolicited advice. The overt confidence without the substance can be amusing.

an anti Fudd quote - younger guy shows up to the range with a brand new SCAR, and the only mag he has is the 10 rounder that came with it.
Buddy I
That is fantastic, I'd be ecstatic if i was that guy.

He's not wrong though. Not directed at you, but some of the most mediocre shooters including Fudds love to offer unsolicited advice. The overt confidence without the substance can be amusing.

I get it, but if someone is paying you to teach them and the only thing you say is look at the front sight.... To me that's what makes it so grating its SOLICITED advice. The newbies just don't don't know better. I'm not a great shot but I could tell them the basics of holding and squeezing a trigger for free.

Some of what i heard and its not just fudds.
Was at a cmp match and a group of "kidds" where on the 100 circle jerking on their ARs and a bit pissy that there was a match and knowing they have to stop and wait as the match proceeded.
I started to talk to them and said " hey tell you what come over and shoot the match, i will put up the entry fee for all of you" Response 1. "Thats 200 yards im only zeroed for 50"
2. Other Kidd turns to the other and says with that 5 year old tone like they will get coodies " you have to lie on the ground"
They mumbled a bit more but i was already running away.

Another day i was hanging around and had a conversation with a old time collector. I mentioned about missing the window for me to buy a M16 and Thompson . Few LEO hanging around and one says "no civilian can own a M16"
i spout out " all you need is cash and time"
He then in a load voice says "let me correct myself NO Civilian in mass can legally own or posses a machine gun"
Then a nice old man says " normally i just sit here and laugh at you guys quietly but today i have to laugh out load, let the lawyers worry about what the law is there buddy you dont have a clue" now leo is pissy and tells gramps to FO and gets all jacked.
The fun begins as there where several green card carring guys on the line waiting to set up for a little giggle switch party.
When these "old" guys pulled out the hardware i thought this leo was going to call SWAT .
best was when the guy i was talking to pulled out his M16 with drum and short barrel. Leo says where did you get that.
Old dog says " cracker jack box, loaded and hot " then let the drum loose.

Oh and i get this little one a lot shooting cast bullets from my rifles " that ammo is no good" why "it sounds funny" they are cast loads "you cant shoot cast bullets from a rifle" i usually just ok and keep shooting.

i know it can be annoying. BUT we need MORE NUMBERS! MORE people owning guns, using guns for shooting or hunting. MORE people teaching their kids to use guns.

If we take some newbie's head off because he makes some sillly comment...he stops coming to the range, tells his friends how bad it is at the range and to not sign up there.....and the gun grabbers have their way.

How about nicely listening to his comment and either saying "thanks", or actually taking the time to teach the fudd something.

I've got an anti Fudd quote - younger guy shows up to the range with a brand new SCAR, and the only mag he has is the 10 rounder that came with it.
Buddy I'm shooting with gives him a pre-ban 30-round, and tells him "if he ever sees the cripple mag tainting his rifle again we are going to tape it to a target backer on the 50."
My first AR was bought new in 1998, came with 2 10 rd mags. Mags are still in original plastic wrap. I use USGI pre-ban 20s. 30s get in my way shooting off-hand or on the bench.

Is there a “Tacticool Dude” thread also? So I can bitch about the knucklehead who showed me his new AK by pointing it at me?

By all means,then I can share the story of being at the 50yd at Harvard(sitting at bench waiting for a clear range) and this NES nincompoop(his screen name I do know) was trying to clear a jam on his HK91 by sitting down at the bench next to me and trying to clear the action of a .308 misfeed with the muzzle 24" away pointed at my thigh.

I had to restrain myself to the point that I never had to do in my life.I wanted to take the rifle from him and beat him bloody with it.Some people have a LOT more money than sense.Even my buddy said he thought I was going to kill him lol

And ya,I hope he reads this.

of you" Response 1. "Thats 200 yards im only zeroed for 50"

Er..um. Poi poa game? Isn't 200 yards the reason why one would zero at 50 for .223?

I had to check myself. This was the funny. 50 yard zero.== Minute of ribcage out to 200.

Last edited:
If the choice I had was between a 38 and a 44 at least I think the 44 would give you a chance of winning whereas with a 38 the bear is just going to get pissed off...

There is a quote in a Jack London story, about how the Colt's revolver that fires six times very fast is not good to use on the bald-faced grizzly.

"Bring enough gun," is not a new concept. [laugh]

i know it can be annoying. BUT we need MORE NUMBERS! MORE people owning guns, using guns for shooting or hunting. MORE people teaching their kids to use guns.

If we take some newbie's head off because he makes some sillly comment...he stops coming to the range, tells his friends how bad it is at the range and to not sign up there.....and the gun grabbers have their way.

How about nicely listening to his comment and either saying "thanks", or actually taking the time to teach the fudd something.

Agreed. Most of the interactions at the range when I've been there has been friendly banter. The only ones who have been borderline rude are RSOs. Some lack the patience and people skills when dealing with millennials. Sometimes I don't blame them. LOL.

Agreed. Most of the interactions at the range when I've been there has been friendly banter. The only ones who have been borderline rude are RSOs. Some lack the patience and people skills when dealing with millennials. Sometimes I don't blame them. LOL.

I was in New Hampshire yesterday at a friend's party. He has enough land, and enough hill that a couple of us set up a lane and were plinking at cans, trying out each other's guns. One of the party guests came down and wanted to shoot. I refused to let her handle any of the firearms, and the friend who was shooting with me at that moment followed my lead. She had no previous experience, didn't come across as capable and had been drinking. I flat out told her "no". Told her that she'd been drinking and wasn't going to handle any of my firearms. She went back to the party and reportedly "pouted and complained that Allen was mean to me".

From my perspective I wasn't rude and the hosts thanked me for not putting a firearm in her hands. But I'm betting I'm not on her Christmas card list.

One of my first times at the range I remember recommending this to a guy whose bolt locked up in his rifle (don’t remember what type as I was new to shooting) 2558274A-85DE-4A01-AB30-B7B866696C26.jpeg
He puts a small amount on and a few seconds later his problem is solved. I say, “keep it, it’ll come in handy.” He says “Thanks, but no way am I taking that...suppose I get pulled over and a cop sees that?!? He’ll think it’s drugs for shooting up.”

I smiled (knowing fully well the syringe is factory labeled) and went back to shooting. I still chuckle when I remember the look on his face.

One of my first times at the range I remember recommending this to a guy whose bolt locked up in his rifle (don’t remember what type as I was new to shooting)View attachment 237388
He puts a small amount on and a few seconds later his problem is solved. I say, “keep it, it’ll come in handy.” He says “Thanks, but no way am I taking that...suppose I get pulled over and a cop sees that?!? He’ll think it’s drugs for shooting up.”

I smiled (knowing fully well the syringe is factory labeled) and went back to shooting. I still chuckle when I remember the look on his face.

Just take a Sharpie and write NaRcAn on it, he'll get a pass every time, even if he has H with it....because he's a victim

Just take a Sharpie and write NaRcAn on it, he'll get a pass every time, even if he has H with it....because he's a victim
I had an inebriated debate with a friend about getting some heroin to stick in the storage compartment of a M16a2 clone. The perks were that it would be period correct and it was a great storage place because it was locked up and out of reach of minors- drawbacks, well-drugs.

Most of the debate centered on "victim" and "just trying to support my family" vs. "Drugs are bad, mmmkay" entertainment was had at MA judicial systems expense.

I had an inebriated debate with a friend about getting some heroin to stick in the storage compartment of a M16a2 clone. The perks were that it would be period correct and it was a great storage place because it was locked up and out of reach of minors- drawbacks, well-drugs.

Most of the debate centered on "victim" and "just trying to support my family" vs. "Drugs are bad, mmmkay" entertainment was had at MA judicial systems expense.

Well, the plus side of doing it is that if you get pinched for something firearms related you'll probably get off with all firearms charges dropped and like $250 bail and a couple months of "probation."

I'm with you on most things at the range being friendly. I just dislike someone being all aggressive on someone who's never held a gun before and want to become part of the community. We are supposed to get more people into this chase them off. Frankly as long as the rounds hit the berm I don't care how bad a newbie is shooting as long as they are safe.

Not at the range, but had some counter douche at Bass Pro tell me that " with your license you can buy brand new 15 round mags for your Sig". I told him that they had to be pre ban. He then told me that he was a retired LEO who had 30 years on the force. So I said "OK then I will take 10 of them" and he replied " Bass Pro doesn't sell them". I said yeah, that is because they are "illegal and you are a moron" . Then I left.

Not at the range, but had some counter douche at Bass Pro tell me that " with your license you can buy brand new 15 round mags for your Sig". I told him that they had to be pre ban. He then told me that he was a retired LEO who had 30 years on the force. So I said "OK then I will take 10 of them" and he replied " Bass Pro doesn't sell them". I said yeah, that is because they are "illegal and you are a moron" . Then I left.

Hey if it's LTC-A it does say Large Capacity and all. Must be good to go for std cap mags lol

On the other end of the spectrum sister store cabelo's demanded to see an LTC for an extra killy Mcm ammo crate.

Cashier: "I "need your license."
Buyer: "For what? A license is not required to purchase this piece of plastic".
Cashier: "The system is asking for a license. I can't sell it without one".
Buyer: "A license is not required for a storage case. Same as the steel ammo cans you don't ask one for."
To the manager: "I have a license but I'm not going to provide one for a plastic storage case. If you can't ring it up without a license, it stays here."

Cashier even more flustered. Line is backing up now. Guy behind me is agreeing with my stance but the cooler and beach chair people look irritated.
The manager at the next register finally comes over and takes him a couple of times to override it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they still "need" LTC for the ammo crate.

I have a few stories, not sure how "fuddy" they are.

3. Lastly there is this one 55ish guy who "teaches" new people how to shoot (as in they pay him because they don't know better). Every time I see him at the range I cringe. He is a god-awful instructor. All he does is yell "FRONT SIGHT" at them as they teacup a pistol. When they miss he just yells "FRONT SIGHT" more/louder. Hey a$$hole, teach them how to hold it properly first and then work on the rest. If I could get them away from him for like 3 minutes I could show them how to hold it for free, but I really don't want to deal with the "instructor."

DF&G by any chance? If so, I know that guy...

On one of Lady Radtekk's first visits to my (now our, she's a paid member) club, we were working through anticipation, flinching, jerking, etc. Old dude came over to "help" us. Pipe, HORRIBLE teeth, yellow sick looking sallow skin. Hovered for a few minutes, then approached. Many "helpful suggestions" about stance, sights, grip, etc, followed with "You hold the gun, I'll pull the trigger, that way you can see what the recoil feels like without worrying about anything else." "Dude, GTFO!"

After I just shot trash groups all over the place at fairly close range with a 9mm:

"Wow, you hit him in the chest every time! The bad guy in real life would have no chance. Nice shooting."

Nice guy but not what I wanted to hear....

I was in New Hampshire yesterday at a friend's party. He has enough land, and enough hill that a couple of us set up a lane and were plinking at cans, trying out each other's guns. One of the party guests came down and wanted to shoot. I refused to let her handle any of the firearms, and the friend who was shooting with me at that moment followed my lead. She had no previous experience, didn't come across as capable and had been drinking. I flat out told her "no". Told her that she'd been drinking and wasn't going to handle any of my firearms. She went back to the party and reportedly "pouted and complained that Allen was mean to me".

From my perspective I wasn't rude and the hosts thanked me for not putting a firearm in her hands. But I'm betting I'm not on her Christmas card list.
Good job, sir! Never pleasant being the "heavy" but sometimes necessary. If that woman accidentally shot someone, you would have been considered at fault and sued because she had been drinking
Hard and fast rule in our home is that all firearms remain locked up while there is drinking going on. Whether it is just the wife and I enjoying a glass of wine or my buddies and I watching the game and drinking a few beers. Guns stay locked up. Last thing we need is the cops, EMTs and news teams pouring into our home after somebody gets shot accidentally.

I had a guy bitch about me muzzle sweeping him with my rifle - it was cased. Not even a soft case, a rectangle case - I may have been sweeping 180 degrees from him!

Was accused of shooting an M1 Carbine on the pistol / rimfire range. It was a 10/22.

Had a RO ask me about my pistol, and that "these new bottleneck cartridges" are more prone to ricochet. It was a TT-33 in 7.62x25.

A guy stopped to tell me my kids couldn't shoot because they were under 12, we were at the archery targets using their kid's bows. I stated that this was the stupidest rule I've ever heard - how do you get kids into shooting if you don't let them. He said he wasn't in charge, but that was the rules. I said eff the rules, we were going to shoot and the RO can kick us out (had 2 weeks left in my membership and had already decided not to renew).

This was all in one club in two years.

Joined a new club - Worthington, and asked about kids after they told me the rules on guests. "They your kids? Just keep an eye on them." I can deal with that rule easy enough.

DF&G by any chance? If so, I know that guy...
I left there after being an RSO myself on Wednesday nights thanks to people like that. Now I get to battle the ones in Georgetown because PCCs aren't allowed on two of the ranges because they're "too powerful" but you can shoot 44 mag and S&W 500s no problem...
Oi

Some of what i heard and its not just fudds.
Was at a cmp match and a group of "kidds" where on the 100 circle jerking on their ARs and a bit pissy that there was a match and knowing they have to stop and wait as the match proceeded.

Not sure if serious, this doesn't make any sense. If there's a sanctioned event why didn't someone say "Hey range is closed for this event until X PM" come back later, etc.

Sounds like a club communication problem, too.

-Mike

Unless its going to screw with my existence or someone I care about (directly) I don't even bother correcting someone like this anymore (in this context) it's not even
worth my time.

I remember the last time something like this happened (between a circle of friends) and one of these guys that lives in Salem was adamant that permit-less carry only
applied to NH residents, some cop he knows there told him this blah blah blah etc."

I finally shut him up by saying "I will bet you $1000 right now that you are wrong. Let's call an NH firearm/criminal law attorney. I will ask him or her the question. When I'm proven right you have to pay the attorney's hourly rate plus $1000 to me. " That was the end of that.

-Mike

Not sure if serious, this doesn't make any sense. If there's a sanctioned event why didn't someone say "Hey range is closed for this event until X PM" come back later, etc.

Sounds like a club communication problem, too.

-Mike
If he's talking about OCSA (I assume he is, since what he describes matches the layout), then there's the 200 yd range used for the CMP match right next to the 100yd range which remains open during the match. People shoot on the 100yd range while the match happens next to it on the 200yd line, but when a cease fire is called for scoring targets, the 100yd has to stop as well since they are side by side and not separated downrange. The people on the 100 yd don't always like the cease fires, especially during the rapid fire stages where you stop to score targets more often.

Back
Top Bottom