• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fudd Quotes at The Range

... I remember recommending this to a guy
425089.jpg

... I say, “keep it, it’ll come in handy.” He says “Thanks, but no way am I taking that...suppose I get pulled over and a cop sees that?!? He’ll think it’s drugs for shooting up.”

I've heard of dabbing a little Hoppe's #9
on your pulse points to attract Teh Ladies,
but damn that's hardcore.

I left there after being an RSO myself on Wednesday nights thanks to people like that. Now I get to battle the ones in Georgetown because PCCs aren't allowed on two of the ranges because they're "too powerful" but you can shoot 44 mag and S&W 500s no problem...
Oi

I love this trope and I don't know why. "That thur PCC makes 9mm into something super powerful that'll explode the berm..." If 9mm loaded into a 16in barrel was so powerful it broke berms, EVERYONE would know and want/have one. A PCC essentially has the same terminal ballistics of a .357 out of a 6in barrel.... I can't for the life of me figure out how this misinformation was even created.

I left there after being an RSO myself on Wednesday nights thanks to people like that. Now I get to battle the ones in Georgetown because PCCs aren't allowed on two of the ranges because they're "too powerful" but you can shoot 44 mag and S&W 500s no problem...
Oi
Is this one guy ?
If so , I think I know of whom you speak and he tends to pull stuff out of his ass that has nothing to do with club rules.

If he's talking about OCSA (I assume he is, since what he describes matches the layout), then there's the 200 yd range used for the CMP match right next to the 100yd range which remains open during the match. People shoot on the 100yd range while the match happens next to it on the 200yd line, but when a cease fire is called for scoring targets, the 100yd has to stop as well since they are side by side and not separated downrange. The people on the 100 yd don't always like the cease fires, especially during the rapid fire stages where you stop to score targets more often.

This makes more sense, at least. At first he made it sound like these guys were getting booted off because of a sanctioned event and they were sitting around waiting, lol.

I love this trope and I don't know why. "That thur PCC makes 9mm into something super powerful that'll explode the berm..." If 9mm loaded into a 16in barrel was so powerful it broke berms, EVERYONE would know and want/have one. A PCC essentially has the same terminal ballistics of a .357 out of a 6in barrel.... I can't for the life of me figure out how this misinformation was even created.

the better trope is "well if they see you shooting that .22 rifle some guy will think all rifles are okay and then shoot 5.56 there" there's more than one club that subscribes to this bs, lol.

At the range a guy on Saturday asked me if I wanted to try out his suppressor on his DD ar-15. Oh wait, this is fudd, not fun. Never mind.

On one of Lady Radtekk's first visits to my (now our, she's a paid member) club, we were working through anticipation, flinching, jerking, etc. Old dude came over to "help" us. Pipe, HORRIBLE teeth, yellow sick looking sallow skin. Hovered for a few minutes, then approached. Many "helpful suggestions" about stance, sights, grip, etc, followed with "You hold the gun, I'll pull the trigger, that way you can see what the recoil feels like without worrying about anything else." "Dude, GTFO!"
I think that is the same dude my son and I encountered. Never, ever seen worse teeth (even in England)

the better trope is "well if they see you shooting that .22 rifle some guy will think all rifles are okay and then shoot 5.56 there" there's more than one club that subscribes to this bs, lol.

Ugh... the "the membership is too stupid to know the difference between a .22 LR and .223 Rem." argument. This one baffles me.

Ugh... the "the membership is too stupid to know the difference between a .22 LR and .223 Rem." argument. This one baffles me.
sit on the board or work the grounds crew and you will understand how stupid the membership REALLY is. I can't tell you all the dumbass shit that went on by "members" at HSC.

I've been dealing with this a lot lately. Recently got in a few stamps for my PCC's. Barrel lengths are 5". That's shorter than your .357 and nearly the same length as your full size glock. "It's got more energy" is what they keep telling me. How???

sit on the board or work the grounds crew and you will understand how stupid the membership REALLY is. I can't tell you all the dumbass shit that went on by "members" at HSC.

Yup. "This is why we can't have nice things." They tried to have .22LR only spinning targets, and yup, somebody shot them up with high power or something. No more steel spinners. Also no plinking cans. No targets on ground. Only paper targets hanging from the wires provided. People are their own worst enemies.

Yup. "This is why we can't have nice things." They tried to have .22LR only spinning targets, and yup, somebody shot them up with high power or something. No more steel spinners. Also no plinking cans. No targets on ground. Only paper targets hanging from the wires provided. People are their own worst enemies.
or we hang steel at all the ranges, so people shoot the chains. Congrats, you can hit a chain link at whatever range with your rifle. Now there's no steel for anyone else. You're literally why we can't have nice things.

The weird guy at Braintree everybody calls the clipboard guy told me once that the AR-15 is a military weapon meant to kill children and civilians shouldn't own it. The other old guy with him told me that the folding bayonet on a Mosin t53 is illegal and he told me to keep it folded. His best line was you can only use the first two lanes on the Trap range.

A range officer at Braintree on a Sunday said no more than 10 rounds in a magazine then proceeded to yell at a guy with an M1 Garand. When the guy responded he literally said no talking in front of the yellow line at that point we all packed up and left because his friend was muzzle sweeping everyone playing with his (unloaded but still) glock.

wrt BR&P. NO such rule about mag capacity or rate of fire as long as they are all hitting the target or berm. NO rule about bayonets either other than don't stick anyone. ;)

As a RO, we haven't been given a "new" roster of who is working when in ~4 yrs so I have no idea who you could have run into. That said if you do run into a rogue RO, take down aa name/badge # or at least time and date and report it in the CRO box so that mis-information can be taken care of or those that have "left the reservation" can be dealt with appropriately.

I haven't shot trap in many years and don't go up there but I do think there is a rule about using the mechanical thrower, and if so it is for safety of keeping all the shot on our property instead of hitting the apartments/condos next door.

The lanes for the Trap thrower I believe there are five of them and the first two are the closest to the condos and the book doesn't say anything about only using the two left most Lanes. The guy just makes stuff up for the sake of it.

The weird guy at Braintree everybody calls the clipboard guy told me once that the AR-15 is a military weapon meant to kill children and civilians shouldn't own it. The other old guy with him told me that the folding bayonet on a Mosin t53 is illegal and he told me to keep it folded. ...

(I haven't field-tested it, but) next time using a line from
Shepherd Book's death scene in Serenity might work:

Coming from you,
that means almost nothing.

The old guy talking about the bayonet was the Thursday guys partner but then I guess the clipboard guy reported him for something so he's off range officer Duty. It's literally a fudd fudding a fudd.

avg loop club RO = "Gary".

ETA: I'm trying to find a better archetype for this, thinking someone garys age but older and fatter, and having suspenders and potentially unkempt beard or hairdo, etc.

We shoot from 9AM to Sunset at my club here in CT. One of the members here felt that it was his duty to make sure that he checked to make everyone knew when sunset was.

He'd walk up to people and say "Do you know when sunset is?"
If you said "no", then he'd lecture you.
If you said "yes", then he'd question you.
If you gave him the time, he'd say it was wrong.

About the third time he did this to me, I lost it and told him to fck off.
After conversations with the club president, (who I shoot pins with), a letter was issued to our safety nazi advising him to leave the membership alone.

There could/should be an entire thread dedicated to range officers from hell.
When I've encountered the range officer like this in my brief time as a member of a club that required them.....or when I hear stories about the range officer from hell......my first assumption is that the guy is pussy whipped in his home life, or has zero actual leadership capabilities in his professional life and somehow feels the need to compensate for his miserable or incompetent esistance by being a total dick when he's serving as ro.

When I've encountered the range officer like this in my brief time as a member of a club that required them.....or when I hear stories about the range officer from hell......my first assumption is that the guy is pussy whipped in his home life, or has zero actual leadership capabilities in his professional life and somehow feels the need to compensate for his miserable or incompetent esistance by being a total dick when he's serving as ro.

The person you just described is exactly the male version of the bitchy woman who is always faultfinding either at work or at a restaurant with whatever she orders. Telling them to “F off” is exactly what they need to hear.

Reading Rifle:
"Are there any restrictions on my shooting today?"
Me: Not that I'm aware of.
"Oh, well when I see guns like that I just assume you guys are law enforcement"
I can remember reading having the original moniker of being a fudd club back in the 70's. of course they didn't use the expression fudd in those days. old timers would tell us young'uns to steer clear.

".45 hits so hard"
"There's no reason to go to a permitless carry system when shall issue works fine. Besides, there's always the chance that somone who is prohibited and has a gun that when they go in to get the CCW license that will be found and he'll be stopped."

Yeah, a guy who didn't pay a parking ticket 20 years ago is such a danger to society. At least now we know why the shall issue system is so common, it's designed to harass people who have done the most low level infraction so the police state has something to do or show to the local news.

"WHY YES, THIS MAN CAME TO OUR DEPARTMENT SEEKING A CCW PERMIT AND WE FOUND OUT THAT HE ONCE DROVE 38 MPH IN A 35. CALLED FOR SWAT THE MOMENT THAT WAS DISCOVERED."

Back
Top Bottom