• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FTF transfer of AR15 stripped lower: FA-10?

yup, that is the registerable part of the firearm that has the serial number (not that every firearm has a serial number).

According to the letter of the law, no, because a stripped receiver is not a firearm under MGL. Gun stores do it all the time, though, but that doesn't mean that it's right or necessary.

-Mike

According to the letter of the law, no, because a stripped receiver is not a firearm under MGL. Gun stores do it all the time, though, but that doesn't mean that it's right or necessary.

-Mike

I believe Mike is correct. As soon as you make a complete firearm out of it, you do need to submit an FA-10. This state sucks.

yup, that is the registerable part of the firearm that has the serial number (not that every firearm has a serial number).

Wrong. MGL does not quantify a "firearm" in that manner. Only federal law does, and an FA-10 is not a federal form, it's an MA form. This is one of the myriad of differences between state and federal firearms law in the case of MA.

-Mike

So the verdict is cash and carry?

Seller must have a LTC.

My lower was never part of a finished rifle.

NOO!!!
If you don't know the correct answer to a question, please research a subject before posting an answer.
By posting false information here you are passing it along to others who are here to find "real" answers to questions like this.

So the verdict is cash and carry?

Seller must have a LTC.

My lower was never part of a finished rifle.

That's correct.

Why would either party need an LTC for a stripped lower that has never been configured as a firearm if neither is a prohibited person?

Why would either party need an LTC for a stripped lower that has never been configured as a firearm if neither is a prohibited person?

Technically an LTC isn't needed for a FTF, but considering it is needed to buy the stripped lower from an FFL, that would make sense when selling a stripped lower to someone FTF. A person in MA needs to be licensed to buy the stripped lower from an FFL, but no FA-10 is needed.

Please don't take my repeated queries as being short, but can you show me where in MGL it states that an FID/LTC is required for the purchase of a stripped lower (not a firearm) from anybody - resident or FFL? No FA-10 is required. No MIRCS check is required, only a 4473.

Please don't take my repeated queries as being short, but can you show me where in MGL it states that an FID/LTC is required for the purchase of a stripped lower (not a firearm) from anybody - resident or FFL? No FA-10 is required. No MIRCS check is required, only a 4473.

That's an excellent point. One doesn't need an FID/LTC for a 4473...
Good look. +1!

WRONG!!!

-Mike

RIGHT!! If they don't invent a bbl length and caliber on the FA-10 so filed, CHSB will throw them out if they catch it. CHSB has SPECIFICALLY ASKED dealers NOT to submit FA-10s on frames. Some continue to do so however. [rolleyes]

I believe Mike is correct. As soon as you make a complete firearm out of it, you do need to submit an FA-10. This state sucks.

Absolutely correct.

NOO!!!
If you don't know the correct answer to a question, please research a subject before posting an answer.
By posting false information here you are passing it along to others who are here to find "real" answers to questions like this.

Right on! This has always been my beef . . . people giving answers when they are clueless, thus leading others down the wrong path.

If you aren't certain (and can verify) of the answer, just pass the thread and let someone else answer it, please.

Technically an LTC isn't needed for a FTF, but considering it is needed to buy the stripped lower from an FFL, that would make sense when selling a stripped lower to someone FTF. A person in MA needs to be licensed to buy the stripped lower from an FFL, but no FA-10 is needed.

No, a person in MA does not need to be licensed to buy a stripped lower (according to the law; shop polices may differ)

A stripped frame is not a firearm under MGL and, as such, they do not need an LTC. That being said, I doubt there are any shops that won't voluntarily choose to require that persons buying as stripped lower have an LTC. In practice an LTC is needed to buy a stripped frame from an FFL due to dealer policies, but the law only requires a 4473 and NICS check.

here's a question for you guys:

you buy a AR-15 lower from a dealer. The dealer files a FA-10 form for you and your "rifle" even though this is poor form, or at the very least- unnecessary (as discussed above).

when you complete building it- do you have to fill out another FA-10 and submit it?

here's a question for you guys:

you buy a AR-15 lower from a dealer. The dealer files a FA-10 form for you and your "rifle" even though this is poor form, or at the very least- unnecessary (as discussed above).

when you complete building it- do you have to fill out another FA-10 and submit it?

What did the dealer put down for bbl length? For caliber?

Did you build it out to those same specs? If so, I wouldn't bother as it is already "pre-registered" (even if incorrectly).

If he registered as "0" bbl length, then I would file a proper FA-10.

I am told that CJIS (formerly CHSB) catches an FA-10 with "0" bbl length, they trash it, but they'd have no way to know it's a stripped lower if the form is filled out completely like a real rifle.

What did the dealer put down for bbl length? For caliber?

Did you build it out to those same specs? If so, I wouldn't bother as it is already "pre-registered" (even if incorrectly).

If he registered as "0" bbl length, then I would file a proper FA-10.

I am told that CJIS (formerly CHSB) catches an FA-10 with "0" bbl length, they trash it, but they'd have no way to know it's a stripped lower if the form is filled out completely like a real rifle.

Does the barrel length and caliber really matter? They can both be changed rather easily, and changing either/both wouldn't require a new FA-10, right?

Does the barrel length and caliber really matter? They can both be changed rather easily, and changing either/both wouldn't require a new FA-10, right?

I bet you can find a few guys here who will tell you to file a new FA-10 every time you swap uppers.

Understood, but if the FA-10 filed fairly represented the gun when built, I don't feel that there is any need to repeat the act.

I bet you can find a few guys here who will tell you to file a new FA-10 every time you swap uppers.

Yup, and there are some chiefs and CJIS people who have no understanding that an AR-15 is a "Lego Kit" for gun owners.

Understood, but if the FA-10 filed fairly represented the gun when built, I don't feel that there is any need to repeat the act.

I agree with you. I mis-read your post.

If the FFL filled in a barrel length and caliber, I would not feel compelled to file another FA-10 upon completion.

You're correct, it doesn't say that anywhere. Seller do need to check licenses for mags though. [thinking]

If the FFL filled in a barrel length and caliber, I would not feel compelled to file another FA-10 upon completion.

IMO, trying to explain that you didn't fill out the form you were legally required to because the dealer filled it out incorrectly when he wasn't required to is at best shaky argument to make. The law doesn't say you need to have an FA-10 on file somewhere for a particular gun, the requirement is that the resident reports the transfer (with the specs of the gun) within 7 days of the transfer/build. Similar to AWB issues in Mass., I'd pay little attention to the dealer's actions and focus on what you're required to do by law.

Do you need to file an FA10 for a stripped lower if the gun was previously registered to you as a complete rifle?

Thanks Chris

This is a good question. What if the lower has the fire control grip but no stock? This isn't stripped but doesn't have a barrel length or caliber either. Do you need an FA10 for this scenario?

I understand the requirements, and am not questioning them. But if I bought the Stripped Lower from an FFL and I filled out a 4473, If I never built it and decided to sell it, I would think I would still FA-10 it to the new owner so that I had a paper trail if the Lower eventually ended up in a bad place. Just my 2 cents.

Legally, I don't think that would be required as even with a FCG it is not capable of discharging a shot and is essentially just a bunch of components until you pair it with an upper.

In this scenario however since it's already in the CHSB database with my name attached and there's no way to ever "un-register" it from me, I'd do either an FA-10 or have the buyer sign some sort of bill of sale as a CYA to prove that I no longer had possession of it.

Had it never been FA-10'd before, I'd be less concerned.

Back
Top Bottom