Friendly Warning on High Cap Mags

You guys are confusing me, you mention large cap mags for rifles, then handguns.
A Beretta 9mm comes with a 15 round mag, a 96fs comes with a 11 round mag, to own a handgun in this state you need a LTC, LARGE CAPACITY.

So, what does the LARGE CAPACITY stand for? (when we talk about HANDGUNS)

If you are talking about rifles, like a AR-15, that only requires a FID card and I understand the restrictions on that, including the pre and post ban stuff.

Please clarify.

I should fire up Visio and make a MA firearm law flowchart.

Anyway, you need an LTC-A to own a > 10rnd handgun magazine. You need an LTC-B to own a > 10rnd rifle magazine. In either case, you can't own a > 10rnd magazine made after Sept 94. LTC-A includes everything you can do with a LTC-B or FID plus more.

You guys are confusing me, you mention large cap mags for rifles, then handguns.
A Beretta 9mm comes with a 15 round mag, a 96fs comes with a 11 round mag, to own a handgun in this state you need a LTC, LARGE CAPACITY.

If you are talking about rifles, like a AR-15, that only requires a FID card and I understand the restrictions on that, including the pre and post ban stuff.

Please clarify.

You cannot own ANY magazine that holds more than 10 rounds unless it was manufactured before Sept 1994.

The LTC-A allows you to own a handgun that is "capable" of accepting 10+ round mags.

It is your responsibility as the buyer to make sure you are in accordance with this.

Please clarify.

An LTC A is required for any LC (large capacity or >10 rounds per mag) handgun. A LTC B is required for any LC long gun (AR 15, saiga). An FID is required for any long gun, LC. By having an LTC, it allows you to possess pre-ban LC mags. It does not allow you to possess any post-ban LC mags. So if you went and bought brand new LC mags in the last 4 years, you are committing a felony. If all of your LC mags are from the early 90s or before, you are good to go.

Quite frankly, I think most of the regulars on this forum have been well aware of this fact and know what to avoid, generally. The reminder is nice, but is better served being sent out to each gun club in MA so non-NES members get the message. We probably pound that topic to death 2-3 times daily here.

You cannot own ANY magazine that holds more than 10 rounds unless it was manufactured before Sept 1994.

The LTC-A allows you to own a handgun that is "capable" of accepting 10+ round mags.

It is your responsibility as the buyer to make sure you are in accordance with this.

Even on a private sale, FFL transfer?

Even on a private sale, FFL transfer?

Yes. MA law is messed up, but the thing to remember that you can only own pre-Sept 14, 1994 "large capacity feeding devices" or "assault weapons" with an LTC-A. Terms are in quotations since that is the term in the law. Also, I think you would have a hard time doing an FFL transfer on an illegal firearm or magazine unless they were being sent out of state.

Chapter 140: Section 121 defines the terms:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm

Chapter 140: Section 131M defines the rules on "assault weapons" and "large capacity feeding devices" :
"No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994."
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131m.htm

You'll note that the only exceptions in section 131M are for law enforcement.

GOAL has a great page that links to all the gun laws in MA:
http://www.goal.org/legislation/quickoverview.html

(IANAL, but I've always thought this is the equivalent of having a drivers license that allows you to drive any size car you wanted, but a separate law that said that only law enforcement can drive large new cars. It doesn't make sense, but most people will tell you it isn't supposed to!)

no kidding

I never figured out how they can figure out when a magazine was manufactured when the actual manufacturers don't know.

+1. Any insight on this, particularly for generic AR mags or AK mags? I know it's easier to determine for particular handgun manufacturers, but of those I've ever seen, I haven't found manufacturer or date stamps on the long gun magazines[thinking].

EDIT: just found out there are dates stamped inside many old mags.

Last edited:
Pfft! I called my FFL guy, and asked about high cap. mags and he said "you have a class "A" license? ". I told him yes. "Then you would be all set" he said. He went on to say that the 10 round crap is the consumer protection part. "Are you going to sue me for a 11 round mag if you had one from me?" he asked. No, I said, "then whats the problem?" he asked. He said there is no date on it, so how do they know when it was made? How would you?

Believe me, this guy has tested the waters of the AG's office, and they leave him alone because he See's through their lies.

Pfft! I called my FFL guy, and asked about high cap. mags and he said "you have a class "A" license? ". I told him yes. "Then you would be all set" he said.

He's still wrong. Gun dealers are not the best source of information regarding MA gun law, or for that matter, even many police officers.

Do your own research and then draw your own conclusions, IMO.

-Mike

Pfft! I called my FFL guy, and asked about high cap. mags and he said "you have a class "A" license? ". I told him yes. "Then you would be all set" he said. He went on to say that the 10 round crap is the consumer protection part. "Are you going to sue me for a 11 round mag if you had one from me?" he asked. No, I said, "then whats the problem?" he asked. He said there is no date on it, so how do they know when it was made? How would you?

Believe me, this guy has tested the waters of the AG's office, and they leave him alone because he See's through their lies.

This particular rule has nothing to do with the AG office. It's a statute enacted by the state legislature and signed into law by the government.

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

I know a guy who knows a guy...

Chris

From the description, I'm 99% sure that I know who the dealer is! Nice guy, but totally clueless on the hi-cap law! I understand that he stood down the AG (totally different set of issues) in court and since the AG didn't send anyone to defend the state, the dealer won by default, so now he has brass balls and flaunts it. IANAL, but I don't think that it is a wise move to be that brazen and give out patently false info that could land someone in the big house for 10 years.

From the description, I'm 99% sure that I know who the dealer is! Nice guy, but totally clueless on the hi-cap law! I understand that he stood down the AG (totally different set of issues) in court and since the AG didn't send anyone to defend the state, the dealer won by default, so now he has brass balls and flaunts it. IANAL, but I don't think that it is a wise move to be that brazen and give out patently false info that could land someone in the big house for 10 years.

I thought the same thing.

Len, would you mind PM'ing me?

Back
Top Bottom