Framingham Gun Buyback 10/29

Do you think the other side actually believes these buybacks do anything to reduce crime?
The answer is, "No."

Then why do they do it?
To convince the sheep that there is a gun problem.

What do they hope will happen?
They hope they can convince a bunch of short-sighted greedy retard *******s to turn in enough junk guns and useless ammo to fill a table and provide a photo op.

Many of you seem eager to be uselful idiots.

I agree with everything except for your " to convince the sheep there is a gun problem". Unfortunately, the sheep already believe this; part of being diagnosed as a sheep is that your default thought process tells you there is a gun problem.

The real answer to the " Then why do they do it" question, is because it convinces the populace (sheep included) that Chief of Police Jerkoff and his hardworking staff and officers CARE about the public, and are here to help etc. Its just checking the box to make people think the police are great humanitarians.

Yesterday in the town I work in, my chief, deputy chief, one of my lieutenants, and a bunch of town DPW employees went and raked leaves of the yards of town owned housing. If the residents helped out, they received a $200 gift card.
A $200 gift card, for raking leaves in your own yard.

Its all just a ****ing facade, a shell game. My boss and deputy think theyre leaving some sort of ****ing legacy behind, because " they care" about the people of the town.

OK, so does an FFL have to have a state license just to buy, I'm thinking no and that the state license is only for retail sales. I know an FFL sale has to take place at the place of business, but is this required for a purchase?
Finally, can they make you leave?

BTW I'm not planning on doing this myself, nor am I suggesting anyone else try, I'm just curious about the exact details and legality involved.

I don't know how it works WRT an FFL, but at the Waltham buyback program 2 years ago, a few individuals attempted to set up a 'I'll buy your guns' table and
the PD in charge harassed/intimidated them into leaving because they didn't have a vendors license.

I was there for 15 seconds literally, on the sidewalk right near the entrance. Two cops, one Belmont and one Waltham came over to me and asked what the sign said. I showed them "WILL PAY CASH FOR GUNS, AMMO, ETC." They were pissed. started saying oh no, you're not doing that here, etc. I argued with them for 5 minutes, they threatened me for soliciting without a vendor's license. So I said oh, what if I change my sign and have it say "Don't get screwed, go to a gun dealer and get 4 times the money". They said that would be legal but she would have the largest Waltham PD cop on duty come down and block me and harass me the whole time.

I really felt the love.

I went back to my car, Lt Dectective dickhead brooks came across the street, I put my hand out to shake and he did, then started yelling and getting his panties wedged up his tight ass. Sbi showed up about then and detective tight ass was trying to harass us both. Sbi and I were perfectly calm, knew what we were talking about, etc. unlike those tools. It was worth the trip just for the experience. I hope I raised brooks blood pressure enough for him to have a heart attack later. The woman from Belmont wasn't bad after we chatted a bit. The Waltham pd must have the jbt manual.

I did video part of the conversation with Lt. Brooks, he didn't care whatsoever. Still didn't upload it and quite frankly, not sure I am going to publish this, but it is video taped and will be saved just in case. After all, he did ask for our ID and wrote our names down . He never actually threatened to arrest us, as far as I remember, but he did say that if we solicit anyone "we're gonna have a problem...I'll take you to court". Frankly, he matched 100% what I was expecting before going - macho, power hungry, police authority B.S. I was surprised because I did have several interactions with Lt. Brooks years ago and he didn't sound the same. Maybe because he wasn't a detective then...I guess civil clothing make a difference.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...turday-September-20-Waltham-joins-gun-buyback

Legal or not, it wouldn't surprise if they wouldn't hesitate to pull the same stunt on an FFL.

the only problem that I see is that it's not unlawful for an unlicensed person to transport guns to the PD to turn them in. The buy-back is a police effort, so one could argue that that's what's going on. It would NOT be lawful for an unlicensed individual to transport the guns to a guy (FFL or not) sitting next to the buy-back table. I can see a cop saying, "Yeah, you'll get more, but it won't cover your bail for unlicensed possession."

How about we just find a friendly town that will let a ffl run the "buy" (its not a buy back since the cops never owned them) and make it public that people are getting way more for their husbands old guns then a $50 gift card....

To convince the sheep that there is a gun problem.
Actually, it's to convince the sheep that guns in civilian hands a bad per-se, to the point where it it wohth spending public $$ to get the guns out of private hands.

the only problem that I see is that it's not unlawful for an unlicensed person to transport guns to the PD to turn them in. The buy-back is a police effort, so one could argue that that's what's going on. It would NOT be lawful for an unlicensed individual to transport the guns to a guy (FFL or not) sitting next to the buy-back table. I can see a cop saying, "Yeah, you'll get more, but it won't cover your bail for unlicensed possession."

That's cute but you and I both know that the odds of an unwashed person making a one off trip getting bagged while discreetly transporting a gun to an FFL to get real money for it are between slim and none. Also some of those people might be expired FID/LTC types and they wouldn't face a falony for doing so.

-Mike

Id have no problem with it if they gave the guns to an FFL essentially on consignment for the town, and then were honest in their press release that these were coming from people who largely came upon the guns and are uncomfortable with them.

Its the waste of potential town money and using it for propaganda that concerns me. If youre afraid of guns, good for you get rid of them, but the town could benefit.

I remember reading the springfield lets the SA look over the turn ins for collectables before destroying them... thats a whole other issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Most of the stuff in that pile is trash, seeing the half dozen or so decent guns get killed is still pretty awful though.

i feel stupid i didnt go get $50 for a [] POS BB gun i have.

I have to seriously consider this the next time it comes around... I have one or two fairly serious pellet rifles I'd keep, but several POS bb guns my kids cut their teeth on coming up. Red ryder wannabees, Crossman pumpemups... $200-$300 in my pocket would make room... always looking for room...

Saw on the news this morning they got a ton (170 ish) of rifles. Sad.

Yeah, the pictures from the article broke my heart. Now they're all going to be destroyed. No gun should ever meet that fate.

Most of the stuff in that pile is trash, seeing the half dozen or so decent guns get killed is still pretty awful though.
Before folks start shedding tears here, let's put this "successful gun buyback" into proper perspective. This was the first such event in Metrowest ever and (I believe) the first time that $150 gift cards (or I.O.U.s) were offered for long guns, whether working or not. Being centrally located to a lot of people and supposedly anonymous (i.e., you didn't have to be a Framingham resident), there is no way that it was not going to be attractive for folks with junk long guns they didn't want. Add to that the $50 gift card (or I.O.U.) for any amount of junk ammo (apparently) and $50 for any old BB gun... and of course people are going to show up. It was as close to a free money giveaway as most working people have ever seen or will ever see.

From what I see, with one notable exception (the AR pre-ban), they got nothing but old junk long guns and BB guns. You could count the number of handguns collected on one hand and you could see from the photos that at least one of them (the S&W M&P) was trashed.

This wasn't a gun buyback. This was a free gift card giveaway for worthless trash. Please, let's dry up the tears. [thinking]

The fact they were accepting bb guns then issuing an IOU for real firearms sums up the seriousness of the event..

The fact they were accepting bb guns then issuing an IOU for real firearms sums up the seriousness of the event..

Like I said, this was never about saving lives or making anybody's neighborhood safer. It also doesn't matter what guns they took in, or what they do with them afterwards.

This whole exercise was nothing more than gun-grabbers buying a photo-op. The picture of all of those guns was their money shot, and they got what they needed out of it.

It's going to be interesting going forward how many times we see that photo and hear about this event when Linsky and his crowd use it to force more legislation down our throats.

The reason they accept B.B. guns is because they want to destroy gun culture (like they did in the U.K.), not just the physical guns themselves.

The reason they accept B.B. guns is because they want to destroy gun culture (like they did in the U.K.), not just the physical guns themselves.

It was all for the photo op. The more shit they can dump on the bottom of that pile the bigger and scarier the pile looks, even though it's grossly over inflated by junk.

That xm177 clone and garand will somehow disappear before going to the smelter

I pray you're right. It ought to be criminal to melt down a Garand.

they ran out of gift cards 50 minutes into it. they did mention something about others receiving an I.O.U.

Yeah. What's that look like.

(drives up)
"Hi I'm here for the buy-back."

"Sure. What do you have?"

"A couple of rifles, a pistol and some ammo. OH! And an Assault Weapon. I think that works out to $800, right?"

"OK, sure. Just pop the trunk. We'll issue you an IOU."

"IOU?!?!?!? F that. I'm leaving!"

"Not with a known unlicensed gun in your car, sir. Step out of the vehicle. You've committed a felony."

I don't know how it works WRT an FFL, but at the Waltham buyback program 2 years ago, a few individuals attempted to set up a 'I'll buy your guns' table and
the PD in charge harassed/intimidated them into leaving because they didn't have a vendors license.

But they weren't vending. They were BUYing. Do you need a vendors license to buy Girl Scout Cookies or stop at a kid's lemonade stand? LOL (Actually, I might use that the next time some kid comes by trying to sell me something. "I'm sorry. I don't have a vendor's license. I can't buy that." [rofl] )

That's cute but you and I both know that the odds of an unwashed person making a one off trip getting bagged while discreetly transporting a gun to an FFL to get real money for it are between slim and none. Also some of those people might be expired FID/LTC types and they wouldn't face a falony for doing so.

-Mike

My point was not Ms. Oldperson's nephew taking Uncle's 870 or Garand to an FFL. Yeah, while technically a no-no, I'm sure that it happens plenty. My point was about an FFL setting up at a buy back, offering more $ for the non-junk, and the PD not liking it.

Render unto Caesar, and all that. And, Caesar wants his rendering.

Like I said, this was never about saving lives or making anybody's neighborhood safer. It also doesn't matter what guns they took in, or what they do with them afterwards.

This whole exercise was nothing more than gun-grabbers buying a photo-op. The picture of all of those guns was their money shot, and they got what they needed out of it.

It's going to be interesting going forward how many times we see that photo and hear about this event when Linsky and his crowd use it to force more legislation down our throats.

Agreed... I would have loved to get a $50 gift card in exchange for an almost empty box, say a dozen rounds of .22LR, even send the wife with a few herself. Wasn't going to give then the pleasure.

Yeah, the pictures from the article broke my heart. Now they're all going to be destroyed. No gun should ever meet that fate.

You guys got it all wrong. It's like the cash for clunkers program the gubmint ran to help the auto industry. Since the used cars were all destroyed, people had to buy new cars.

This is the same thing. It's a kick-start for the gun manufacturers.

My point was not Ms. Oldperson's nephew taking Uncle's 870 or Garand to an FFL. Yeah, while technically a no-no, I'm sure that it happens plenty. My point was about an FFL setting up at a buy back, offering more $ for the non-junk, and the PD not liking it.

Just make sure the FFL has a few people around with LTC's to "Supervise" the unlicensed persons holding of a firearm. Like if you had a friend with no license who wanted to sell his grandpa's old rifle you would take him to the FFL to cover him.

I would think that a bigger problem would be the PD running the buyback trying to get the dealer's MA license yanked for "interfering" with their little clown show.

Arresting grandma for transporting a gun, in contrast, looks really bad politically.

-Mike

I would think that a bigger problem would be the PD running the buyback trying to get the dealer's MA license yanked for "interfering" with their little clown show.

Arresting grandma for transporting a gun, in contrast, looks really bad politically.

-Mike

Oh, I'm not saying that the granny would be arrested.....just that it would be pointed out that it would be "better for all concerned" if the gun was turned over to the PD.

So I thought I read somewhere that this was supposed to be completely anonymous. How does that work with an IOU?

The IOU doesn't have to have someones name. So, if you lose it, you are screwed. Or you can give someone an IOU from the PD. That would make an awesome NES Karma.

Back
Top Bottom