Frame damage on M&P .40 from slide!

I posted this on the M&P forum as well. Anyone notice this:

Well today at the range I happened to notice I little sliver of plastic on the bench after shooting a bunch. I was wondering if it came from my gun so I field stripped it. I was quite surprised to see that it appeared to be a piece from my frame (Rev N). It seems like the slide is hitting it on recoil - the dust cover part of the slide is slamming into the frame just in front of the take down lever. I thought the recoil spring would bind before the slide would hit the frame but I guess not.

This gun has just over 2000 rounds now and has been flawless to this point. Anyone noticed this problem? I used mostly WWB, CCI and some reloads that are not hot at all. It still functioned fine but now I'm somewhat concerned.

It may or may not be a problem - some guns throw off little slivers like this early in life.

It's really bad for a recoil spring to bind in the manner you describe (also referred to as the spring "going solid") as the result is tremendous pressure on the front of the slide that bears on the spring, the barrel bushing, or the recoil spring plug (the specific part depending on the model of your gun).

If I had a plastic gun, and it started to come apart, it would go back to the factory right away.[shocked]
(Then I would get rid of it.)

How is this different than the shiny spots that all metal guns develop over time?

It's the same exact wear mechanism.

I think that chunks of the frame falling off is more than normal wear.

I'm not seeing "chunks" anywhere in the OP.... Let's not sensationalize something which may in fact be a normal process. You don't like polymer framed guns, (obvious) that's fine, but both my VP70z and Glock22 have thousands of rounds between them with zero issues. I have noticed small slivers of polymer while cleaning early in my ownership of the G22, but it has been a long, long time....

Back to the OP, I would call S&W and check it out. It may be a recoil spring issue.

Are you running it dry or did you use grease like they recommend?

I don't run it dry, but I don't usually use grease. I do what the manual says:

"There are seven (7) lubrication points where a single drop of
high-quality firearms lubricant should be applied. This will
ensure proper lubrication. Care should be taken not to overlubricate.
Excess lubricant can collect large quantities of
unburned powder and carbon residue, which could interfere with
proper functioning of the pistol."

I'm not seeing "chunks" anywhere in the OP.... Let's not sensationalize something which may in fact be a normal process. You don't like polymer framed guns, (obvious) that's fine, but both my VP70z and Glock22 have thousands of rounds between them with zero issues. I have noticed small slivers of polymer while cleaning early in my ownership of the G22, but it has been a long, long time....

Back to the OP, I would call S&W and check it out. It may be a recoil spring issue.

Yes, I will most definitely call S&W. Here's a picture that isn't clear but you can certainly see the missing plastic.

I don't run it dry, but I don't usually use grease. I do what the manual says:

"There are seven (7) lubrication points where a single drop of
high-quality firearms lubricant should be applied. This will
ensure proper lubrication. Care should be taken not to overlubricate.
Excess lubricant can collect large quantities of
unburned powder and carbon residue, which could interfere with
proper functioning of the pistol."

I have found that what they print in the manuals and what is necessary in real life are very different.

A friend in customer service recommended grease similar to Mil Comm. The M&P wants to be wet.

Are you sure you put the recoil rod on correctly? And no I am not accusing you of being unintelligent. We all make mistakes but that would be the only point of friction in the dustcover like that.

Are you sure you put the recoil rod on correctly? And no I am not accusing you of being unintelligent. We all make mistakes but that would be the only point of friction in the dustcover like that.

I honestly highly doubt that. I'm very carefully that the recoil assembly rides freely thru the slide on one end and is securely put in place on the barrel. Sigs and Glocks are very similar in this department and I've checked all mine to see if any of them had any such "wear"- nothing. Like I said it's chipped off one side and is noticably been impacted on the other side. I can't wait to call S&W and see what they say.

Besides I think it IS the dustcover part of the slide that is hitting. Remove the recoil spring/barrel and you will see that indeed the dustcover hits the frame there.

grease

I would strongly recommend using a high temp grease on at least the
slide. I have some if you like i will bring it to the match on the 16th..

BTW you apply very little.

JimB

Well S&W CS said that it shouldn't be anything to worry about as the ploymer in the area is beefed up and should be fine. I guess I'll just keep shooting it and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom