Four Seasons Firearms, Woburn, MA

Do you know who you spoke to?...If you do, call and/or speak to Carl and let him know what happened, as I'm sure he'd want to know.

No idea, ended up hitting 3 other shops yeserday and found and bought the item I was looking for. This was my own first personal experience with them so YMMV but first impressions are everything.

FS has great service, great selection, and pretty good prices. But if they don't do a safety 101 class for their employees I'm done shopping there. My last trip there a customer brought in two weapons to sell. He took the first out of the bag and an employee started handling it looking for a serial number turning it all around, muzzle going by multiple people - never even checked to see if it was unloaded until much later.

Meanwhile, the customer takes a carbine out of the carry bag, magazine in, action closed, safety off - and proceeds to hold it pointed at the ceiling with his finger on the trigger. Then he swings it around some as he's talking. There must have been 6 employees in there and no one said anything.

I'll spend a few extra bucks to be in a store less crowded and safer.

So you sat there and watched while all this happened? [rolleyes]

I know no one who would object to a polite request to "check that action and keep it pointed in a safe direction, please".

I find this story questionable at best. While I don't work at FS, I consider Carl a friend and have seen him and each of his employees observe proper firearm handling technique at all times.

Chris

I called this AM. I was prepared to drive the hour out there but I called just after they opened and the guy on the phone was rude and told me I should probably shop somewhere else so I did. Guess he was having a bad day. I was really disappointed too after hearing all the rave reviews. [frown]

Was there more to this conversation?

No idea, ended up hitting 3 other shops yeserday and found and bought the item I was looking for. This was my own first personal experience with them so YMMV but first impressions are everything.

I spoke with Carl this morning...He said he sent off an email to you inquiring about the phone call. He said he'd love to speak with you about it.

It's things like that that separate him from the rest of the shops. Carl is very genuine and is sincerely concerned that he may have lost a potential customer, and that's just part of what makes him the best. Check your email and either write him back or call the shop on Tuesday and ask to speak to him. Tell him who you are and what happened.

Radio, now that's service!

Take him up on the offer and give him the chance to make it up to you, preserve his business integrity, and fix a potentially damaging problem in an organization he's put his life into.

Wow, that's like Italian/Jewish-grandmother level guilt there isn't it?

I just wanted to followup and note that I have gotten a couple PMs from Carl directly asking me for some of the particulars. I feel a lot better knowing he takes these things seriously enough to follow up on things posted even on boards, etc..

There is no substitute for dealing with the owner of any small business. The good ones want to hear from customers with concerns. The bad ones hide. Mike Dillon even makes himself available to customers who feel the need to speak to the owner.

I stopped in at FS today and found the place was empty! (that's a first) But it was 2pm on a Wednesday. I was in the neighborhood and went in to return the cable lock they lent me when I bought a rifle there a few weeks ago. I thought the gun lock rule only applied to handguns, but they told me that ALL guns leaving the store had to have a lock. I thought this was rather odd because I went in prepared with my own locking hard case. Anyway, they didn't make me purchase the gun lock, they just asked me to return it next time I was in. Thumbs up again to Carl and the gang at FS. Yes, that includes Tom too.

I'll be there this SAT to test out their SIG service. I have to drop my pistol off to be fixed, which usually results in me looking at evreything. perhaps I'll pick up a new holster for my 1911.

I thought the gun lock rule only applied to handguns, but they told me that ALL guns leaving the store had to have a lock.

It's actually somewhere in the middle. C 140 S 131K states that all firearms (a.k.a. handguns) and large capacity weapons need to be sold with a lock. The law doesn't say the lock needs to actually be on the gun, but it does need to be sold with the gun. So lending you a lock to put on the gun to bring it home is entirely not in compliance with this law, but I've seen several dealers do it.

lending you a lock to put on the gun to bring it home is entirely not in compliance with this law, but I've seen several dealers do it.
This is correct, however.

#1: There is no law against buying used locks from customers

#2: There is no law against selling the customer a used lock, as long as it is on the approved list.

Just to show how awesome FS is... after Carl got wind of the complaint of unsafe gun handling in his store... look what went up on their website!

It's hard to miss: http://www.fsguns.com/homepage.html

+1 for FS!

I want to thank Carl for the professionalism he showed in addressing this issue I raised. A lot (most) of people would have ignored or tried to brush off complaints being raised on the internet. He took a number of steps to remedy this issue and personally took the time to keep me informed. Now I feel compelled to find an excuse to buy another rifle there this year !! Class Act.

thanks

FS has remarkable service. To start:

I mentioned once in a thread that I was going to be taking my SIG in for service there. Not even an hour later i get a PM from FS getting the details and information about what they offer along with assistance with the problem my SIG was having. I go to the shop, drop my SIG off , buy a couple items but accidentally leave one of the items on the counter and head on home. Thinking there was no way that I would be able to get the targets back and about to settle with the loss I desperately send an email over to FS. Not even a day later I get an email back, I'm all set! I can pick up my targets. Un-comparable service!

Well, though I didn't buy anything today, I just wanted to mention just how great Carl and Four Seasons is...

I was there earlier this afternoon...Got out of work a little early, so I swung by. Had the pleasure of meeting fellow NESer, runJonnyrun and chatted with him for a bit.

It was steady in the shop...Busy, then a little slow, then busy...People just kept coming. While talking with Carl about stuff, another customer came in and brought a co-worker (I think) with him to meet Carl and check out the shop. SHE had never not a gun before and didn't know the first thing about guns, ammo, etc. Carl asked her if she'd like to learn, she said yes, and he spent the next 10-15 minutes that I was there (I left partway through) explaining to her the difference between a revolver, a semi-automatic, how they work, rimfire, centerfire, etc.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do something like that, but still...To me, that just shows how great of a guy he is. I'm sure there were a million other things he could have been doing, but instead he took the time to educate the woman, and she was (from what I saw) very responsive to the whole thing.

Plus, even though I would never own a Glock (I'd rather have my hands blown off by a torch than a Glock), Carl took the time to show me how to install a Lasermax laser in a Glock, and even let me help out with another.

+1 for Carl.

as always nothing but the best from four seasons

went today to buy my first .22 after 4 years of pistol shooting and dawn, john, and carl all helped out immensely...thanx guys!

as always nothing but the best from four seasons

went today to buy my first .22 after 4 years of pistol shooting and dawn, john, and carl all helped out immensely...thanx guys!

blood hound, you did not own a .22?

I would have been glad to give you one for some of the goodies you already have [smile]

Great customer service as usual

I bought a new S&W model 686 with a 4” barrel and 7 shot capacity from Carl on the 3rd of July. He answered all my questions very patiently before I bought it. Also, my wife wanted a very specific .22 revolver and since he did not have one, he found a supplier and gave me a quote within minutes. I agreed to it and he ordered it on the spot.…..But the story continues.

When I got the 686 home I noticed a "blemish" on the frame. At first I thought nothing of it, but the more I looked at it the more I worried if it could be a structural flaw due to its location. I brought the 686 back a few days later (he was closed on the 4th of July) and Carl immediately offered to swap it out. When He got another 686 from the safe, he found that it too had the EXACT same blemish. Well that did not stop him, he looked at every 686 he had (including longer barrel and 6 shot variants) and they all had the same thing. Still, he offered any one of the 686's that he had for me to pick which one I wanted in case I thought one looked better than any other. He also said that he could order another one and have it in by the next week and see if it had the same mark or not! He said "I'll do whatever you want". Since I was satisfied that it was not a structural defect; I kept the original one I had bought. Carl was nothing but committed to making sure I was absolutely happy with my purchase. He is a top shelf guy. [grin]

/John

John, I fully agree about Carl.

That said, I suggest that you give a call to S&W and discuss it with them. If it is a problem they will make it right for you and fix their production line. If it isn't a problem, you should feel better about the situation once it is resolved.

Good luck and enjoy the gun.

Must have been Tom.

Here's my take on Tom...

I have dealt with him in the past several times when I went to the store to buy something, and if Carl was busy, Tom might have taken over the transaction.

Tom is Tom. Maybe Tom gets tired of hearing the same questions over and over from different people. Maybe Tom doesn't like his job? I don't know.

I personally would prefer to have either Carl or Ollie handle my transactions.

I'd say most of the FS crew have provided me with good customer service...They're nice, don't rush me, and show me what I ask to see... but most don't go beyond that.

However when I deal with Carl, Ollie, or Dawn... They're on a different level... They not only treat me well... they treat me like a regular. Carl knows me by my first name. Without fail, I'll get at least a "Hey Hanwei, How's it going?!" when I walk in even when he's busy in the middle of dealing with a customer. And when he's not busy... this past winter I was in there looking at a S&W Model 60... Carl sees me holding it... and says "Hey... that's a nice one right there... Guess what my first gun was?" I tell him I don't know... he motions for me to wait and he walked into the back room. A second later he walks back out with HIS OWN S&W model 60... Literally the first gun he ever owned... He let me fondle it... at the same time he took the model 60 I was looking at... and says "damn... this one's nicer than mine..." (and it was... the lock up was tight as a vault whereas his had a little play)... hehehe... needless to say I bought the Model 60. But talk about being treated like a friend and not just a customer.

Two weeks ago when I was in there picking up a S&W model 64... I was in the process of paying when Ollie saw that I was buying it. He came over and said "Hey! That's a great revolver right there... it's so nice I actually cleaned it myself before putting it out onto the shelf. I'm glad you're taking it home." I was already paying for it when he said this so it's not like he needed to sell me on it. He knew that this was a nice revolver and he was genuinely glad I was taking it with me. It's this genuine interaction that makes me feel like more than just another customer when I'm there.

Dawn just busts my balls when I'm there... saying things like "C'mon, You know you want it!" as she walks by me holding whatever I'm holding at that moment [smile]

Last edited:
looks like their ammo is going up again...

I bought a couple boxes of Remington Gold Sabre in .45 ACP on Friday (8.1.2008), I noticed that 1/3 of the boxes were marked 19.99 while the ones at the bottom were mared 29.99 - I showed the guy at the counter (havent seen him before) and he went over to Carl. Carl said, "wow, that's a big difference, give him the lower price"... Top notch -

Back
Top Bottom