• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting

Down here now. The SYG law, as written, is great if you are legally defending yourself. In this case, even though thug Markeis shoved the person to the ground, when the person on the ground (Drejka) drew his firearm, Markeis appears to be retreating. It is at that point that Drejka shoots him. As much as I support the current SYG law, if the SA were to charge him (Drejka), and I was on a jury, I'd vote to convict. Still, play thug games; win thug prizes.

I was able to watch it on the local news website down here. Several more angles/scenes. The guy who got shot backed away when the assault victim drew his pistol. He did not advance, and appeared to be turning away (albeit slightly) to retreat at the time he was shot. As I say, I am all in favor of SYG/defending yourself; I'm just tired of all the people who shoot after, when the perpetrator is retreating, since those are the ones who make it bad for all the rest of us. Just my .02 based on the videos I saw.

I was able to watch it on the local news website down here. Several more angles/scenes. The guy who got shot backed away when the assault victim drew his pistol. He did not advance, and appeared to be turning away (albeit slightly) to retreat at the time he was shot. As I say, I am all in favor of SYG/defending yourself; I'm just tired of all the people who shoot after, when the perpetrator is retreating, since those are the ones who make it bad for all the rest of us. Just my .02 based on the videos I saw.

ooda loop, look into it. Unless the gap is more than a few seconds, you can't really blame the defender.

The defender who was yelling at the woman? Or the guy who defended the woman? If I believe the story, anyway. This one smells.

Seeing lots of comments online about the guy “yelling” or “arguing” with the woman about her parking in the handicapped spot as though that’s justification for the attacker blindsiding the guy. The attacker was definitely going back after him when he was on the ground, he only hesitated when the victim produced the gun. Sure, in a perfect world the shooter would have had the split second timing to react and not shoot but he was probably still a little dazed, hurt and scared from the violent attack. In the end, I side w the shooter on this. If he was older and/or disabled even more so. Guessing by his behavior the attacker was no stranger to the legal system unless this happened to be the one time he lost his cool. Play thug games, win thug prizes.

I'm certainly not going to Monday morning quarterback, the guy who shot made a decision to neutralize what he perceived to be a threat after being physically assaulted BUT the video, from my perspective, shows the man assaulting the guy, looks like he is advancing on him to continue the attack either verbally or physically (doesnt matter which one, he is advancing on him) when the guy on the ground pulls the gun, it seems like the guy pretty clearly stops his advance and looks to say "hell with this" and turns and is popped. Again I am not the guy who was just pushed to the ground with the attacker a few feet away, but it seems like that situation could have ended when the gun was pulled (without shots fired) and I think it certainly was not a clear cut "he shot to protect his life"

As I've said in a lot of other videos, it's hard to say what's actually going on in the one video posted. It looks to me like the black guy was backing up. If that's the case, the shooter may be in legal limbo. The shooter just had to tell the woman how he felt about parking in the handicapped zone. The shover just had to overreact to the guy griping at his girlfriend. The girlfriend didn't want to walk 10 more feet. It's a perfect storm of fail.

I'm certainly not going to Monday morning quarterback, the guy who shot made a decision to neutralize what he perceived to be a threat after being physically assaulted BUT the video, from my perspective, shows the man assaulting the guy, looks like he is advancing on him to continue the attack either verbally or physically (doesnt matter which one, he is advancing on him) when the guy on the ground pulls the gun, it seems like the guy pretty clearly stops his advance and looks to say "hell with this" and turns and is popped. Again I am not the guy who was just pushed to the ground with the attacker a few feet away, but it seems like that situation could have ended when the gun was pulled (without shots fired) and I think it certainly was not a clear cut "he shot to protect his life"

I understand the logic here entirely, and an observer can most definitely think of how they would react in any given situation or how they would have handled things differently. But what happened to the idea that you only draw when absolutely necessary, and when you draw, it's to shoot - not brandish in hopes of diffusing the situation, not firing warning shot. The most predictable outcome for the man on the ground, who feared for his life, was to shoot and diffuse the situation.

The defender who was yelling at the woman? Or the guy who defended the woman? If I believe the story, anyway. This one smells.

I didn't read the story, just stating that shooting someone moving or turning away isn't necessarily an automatic death sentence for a self defense claim. Or in some cases even shooting someone in the back.

-Mike

I understand the logic here entirely, and an observer can most definitely think of how they would react in any given situation or how they would have handled things differently. But what happened to the idea that you only draw when absolutely necessary, and when you draw, it's to shoot - not brandish in hopes of diffusing the situation, not firing warning shot. The most predictable outcome for the man on the ground, who feared for his life, was to shoot and diffuse the situation.

The idea that you draw your firearm only when you intend to use it is a good principle, but I also think in a real world situation it's not that cut and dry and I could think of many situations where I could see someone unholstering a weapon but not necessarily immediately have to use it. I believe the shooter was 100 percent justified in pulling his gun with the intention of using it IF the attacker took another step in his direction, but the situation changed when the firearm came into play and I think the situation would have ended there. Again this is coming from someone who has never been in a situation like that and hopefully never will be, I am just a guy who watched a video and is giving an opinion on what I perceived happened

Last edited:
The idea that you draw your firearm only when you intend to use it is a good principle, but I also think in a real world situation it's not that cut and dry and I could think of many situations where I could see someone unholstering a weapon but not necessarily immediately have to use it. I believe the shooter was 100 percent justified in pulling his gun with the intention of using it IF the attacker took another step in his direction, but the situation changed when the firearm came into play and I think the situation would have ended there. Again this is coming from someone who has never been in a situation like that and hopefully never will be, I am just a guy who watched a video and is giving an opinion on what I perceived happened

Same - I've never been in that situation, hope never to be in that situation. I also agree that the situation would have likely ended there without the shot. But in the event that it didn't end there and he didn't shoot, there are a lot of dangers that can occur when one perceives a situation to be safe. The aggressor only backstepping to be able to get his own firearm, or backstepping to get his car to finish the job while the guy is on the floor. That's all I meant by his actions gave him the most predictable outcome.

Down here now. The SYG law, as written, is great if you are legally defending yourself. In this case, even though thug Markeis shoved the person to the ground, when the person on the ground (Drejka) drew his firearm, Markeis appears to be retreating. It is at that point that Drejka shoots him. As much as I support the current SYG law, if the SA were to charge him (Drejka), and I was on a jury, I'd vote to convict. Still, play thug games; win thug prizes.

He was not retreating until after he was shot. He was clearly retreating after he was shot.

Same - I've never been in that situation, hope never to be in that situation. I also agree that the situation would have likely ended there without the shot. But in the event that it didn't end there and he didn't shoot, there are a lot of dangers that can occur when one perceives a situation to be safe. The aggressor only backstepping to be able to get his own firearm, or backstepping to get his car to finish the job while the guy is on the floor. That's all I meant by his actions gave him the most predictable outcome.

I agree. If he hadn't drawn, or pulled the trigger and the aggressor got the drop on him I am sure even myself (yes I am human and subject to flip flopping on occasion) would be saying he should have dropped him when he had the chance. That's why these situations are so difficult to judge after the fact watching it on my couch in the relative safety of my home

It is possible that after the shooter drew his firearm, he was probably afraid that the other guy was moving to his vehicle to retrieve a weapon.
Or, at least that is what his Lawyer will say.

If the guy actually gets convicted he'll look back and wish he'd put a round in the bitch wife's fat ass for good measure

If the guy actually gets convicted he'll look back and wish he'd put a round in the bitch wife's fat ass for good measure
Convicted of what?!? The title....and the article.....say he wasn't arrested or charged so.....

It is possible that after the shooter drew his firearm, he was probably afraid that the other guy was moving to his vehicle to retrieve a weapon.
Or, at least that is what his Lawyer will say.
He wasn't even charged so......if there was already a lawyer involved guess the right things we're said.

Get some glasses, the dead guy was coming in for more when he got popped !

Convicted of what?!? The title....and the article.....say he wasn't arrested or charged so.....

You are correct, but in the age of Libtardism you just never know what the worse case scenario could be? I want a good outcome for the shooter, was just throwing something out about the rude wife, lighten up

Back
Top Bottom