Florida Gun Law Upheld By Federal Court

Wonder if that gives the guy who got fired by Disney a little extra boost.

He was not fired for having a gun on Disney property, but for refusing a search that they made a condition of continued employment. He botched his strategy and may not be able to win since he was not protected from firing for the act for which he was terminated.

"Employees with concealed weapons permits can keep guns locked in their cars at work in Florida, but businesses are allowed to prohibit customers from bringing firearms on their property, a federal judge has ruled."

Understand that if the company owns the parking lot, they can prohibit the gun (in the car) in spite of a concealed weapons license.

He was not fired for having a gun on Disney property, but for refusing a search that they made a condition of continued employment. He botched his strategy and may not be able to win since he was not protected from firing for the act for which he was terminated.

Actually, not 100% sure on FL law, but unless Disney has a specific policy stating that they can search employee cars... they are not going to win.

for example... we can term someone that refues to open a lunchbag, breifcase or the like based on a written company policy... we likely would not because that is still a very gray legal issue.

additionally, they have no proof that the search would have turned up anything.

it is one thing to request a search because you observed someone placing company property in their trunk... it is an entierly another issue to request a seach because Nancy in the cafe told Mary who told her Manager who told HR that Mike has a gun in his car.

If Mike says no... then i think Disney is going to loose a wrongful termination suit... provided they go on the basis that he was termed for that and not because he brought a gun on the property and refused to show them... leave the gun out of it and he will win.

Understand that if the company owns the parking lot, they can prohibit the gun (in the car) in spite of a concealed weapons license.
If they start getting enough customers boycotting their business, the business may decide to not exercise that power.

It'll have more effect if the customers are regulars, of course. For example, Stop & Shop might not care if I boycotted them as I shop there maybe once a month - if that. OTOH, the store where I DO shop regularly might not be too thrilled to lose a customer who spends several hundred dollars a month.

"Employees with concealed weapons permits can keep guns locked in their cars at work in Florida, but businesses are allowed to prohibit customers from bringing firearms on their property, a federal judge has ruled."

Many companies do not own the property, rather they lease it from Real Estate conglomerates. INMO, this win is small but significant.
Best Regards.

Back
Top Bottom