flashlights, Maglight and MiniMaglight upgrades

Any flashlight, even a Maglight with slightly old batteries is better than the basic tin tube plastic head flashlight we had in the 70's or maybe even 80's. I think you should have said "The price has greatly surpassed what WalMart, Target, Home Depot and even guys like Dicks Sporting could ever possibly sell.

Plus, when in the lakes region, mountains, or at the beach, not many places to plug in a charger, yet you can buy D cell batteries most anywhere.

I still have a flashlight next to the bed that takes one of those lantern batteries with the springs on top.

Possibly, but I think it is more that they stock for the masses and not for someone that has more interest in it. Similar to how Dick's and Walmart don't offer some of the best or most sought after guns or ammo. Dicks does sell coast lights for $40+ and Target does sell Innova's for $50. So there is somewhat of market for it. Although there are better lights to be had at those price points.

I agree any light is better than the old ones. That was the point I was trying to make (maybe I didn't make it that well [grin] ) and you don't need to go back to the 70's. Even lights a couple of years old (or even months) are out done for similar costs. The Maglites haven't changed in decades and are outdated. The new LED models are a great improvement though. I love Mags for their size and their potentials other than light.

The new LEDs are very efficient and you can find lights that run longer than a typical Maglite on 4ds that take 1 or 2 AAs or CR123s. But they don't double as clubs.

-Derek

I don't want a club. For that, I'd use a ... club (baseball bat). Frankly, there isn't much call for that in camping or my backyard.

I don't find the LED lights to really put out all that much light, and from what I've read, this is true. Their alleged strong point is that the batteries and bulbs last longer. Plus, the cost is still too out there. I'll wait and see if costs drop over time though like they did for calculators, VHS players, CD players, walkman players, DVD players, etc.

Target does sell Innova's for $50.
Derek, I'd stay away from Innova lights. I have one that had to be sent back for repair (after it got dropped [sad]) and it took me over a month to just find out WHERE to sent it to... and 3 months to get it back! [rolleyes]

I don't find the LED lights to really put out all that much light, and from what I've read, this is true.
Try the Surefire L2 - it's blinding. Just as bright as the Xenon bulb tactical lights, and even more expensive ($165 list, $135 at a gun show). There have been great strides made lately in LED technology.

Just wrote a long response to Coyote and it got lost. Don't have time to do again.

Anyway, Sorry Coyote if I got off of topic. I reread your initial post and did have a few suggestions.

1. Stick with the Mag LEDs. (3-watts). But for $30-40 you can do better in a smaller package. Many, many options. Any 3-watt LED will output similar and battery life will depend on battery type and how many of them.
2. Fenix 2xAA or Huntlight 1xAA LEDs can both put out better than most regular Mags with bulbs without the choppy beam.
3. There are many CR123-battery LEDs but not sure if you want to get into batteries that are not readily available. There are also some nice 2c LEDs.

Once you get your hands on a nice LED light you won't look at your old lantern or Mags the same way again.

Worked on me. Bought a not-too-expensive 3-watt LED pocket light and have been addicted every since. The 2.5" light outperformed my many Maglights, even the 4d. I have since upgraded them all with the drop in module to keep them useful.

dwarven, the strides being taken are pretty amazing. Though I can't justify $100+ on a flashlight. I have a 180 lumen Seoul LED coming from overseas for $28. I can't wait, should output comparable to any current surefire. Even the 9v Zenons.

Dwarven1,
Thaks for the infromation, I THINK I understand now.

Respectfully,

jkelly

If it's worth the $19 for you to become a paid member, I'll be at the next NES lunch in Marlboro in March and I could bring both flashlights with me. Details in the Members Only forum. [smile]

This shameless plug for NES membership sponsored by the Dwarven One. [smile]

I just saw a light at dicks last night. It's a 65 lum light that has some conversion chip that will run on AA batteries. The picture shows two AA will last as long as a crapload of the CR123s. Or so it's saying.

Seems freaking bright, and it's only like 30 something bucks. But for the life of me, I can't remember the brand name.

But, then I'm no Flashligmmelier. [smile]

I have a flashlight that I got about a year ago as a gift. I love the thing and I want to get another, but I think it was about $45 so I'm holding off for now.

I'm real interested in checking out one of these new LED Mini-Maglites you guys are talking about, haven't seen one of those yet.Seems like it could be a better deal. The LED conversion kits are OK, but for that kind of money I know you can do better.

The flashlight I have now is custom creation from here:
http://elektrolumens.com/XM-3/XM-3.html

It uses a 3watt LED, a real high-end one, not some chinese garbage. And it uses 2 regular AA's, which is nice. This thing is bright as all hell, and solid. I could break a few teeth with thing if required. Kind of sucks up alkalines, so I use the capacity rechargables. Very nice light though.

SOX

To complete this:

I ended up getting a Mag light LED upgrade at Home Depot. I'm pretty happy with it.

Been seeing some new lights coming through again lately. Any outstanding bang for the buck deals?

For the record, we're going through flashlights to get ready for camping.

Hey Coyote33
If there is something specific you are looking for I am sure we can help you out. Pocket light? High powered larger size? Something with lots of throw?

Thanks
John

To complete this:

I ended up getting a Mag light LED upgrade at Home Depot. I'm pretty happy with it.

Been seeing some new lights coming through again lately. Any outstanding bang for the buck deals?

For the record, we're going through flashlights to get ready for camping.

Back
Top Bottom