Flash Supressor Substitutes

I was wondering, what are some good MA compliant substitutes for a flash hider on the AR-15. I will soon be gettin an upper shortly, but I don't want a plain straight barrel

Recommended Comp/Muzzle Break's

What are some types of comp/muzzle brakes that you guys have used and would recommend for home defense / paper punching? I've searched the threads all morning and couldn't come up with a specific thread on this topic. this is obviously in regards to the an AR build. I've heard good things about Miculek, panther, and Anvil arms mentioned that they had a one as well. What are your takes on these?

Last edited:
Have a moderator move it to the "build it yourself" thread maybe.

I use the Miculek on 2 of my AR's and an AK style on the other. Both are very effective and like both a lot but the Miculek looks better.

Do you recommend compensators or muzzle brake's for an AR15...i know the things don't need muzzle brakes (.223/ 5.56), but I'm kind of unsure. and in regard's to which one's better, which compensators are better? I got some great feeback regarding muzzle brakes. You guys rock!

Last edited:
It's muzzle BRAKES and you might want to check the last issue of Front Sight Magazine if the Enos forum doesn't have the article posted there.

As noted, not really crucial on an AR, but they look trick, add some muzzle weight and BLAST the shooters in the adjoining lanes!

check out
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2

I am in the process of getting a DNTC Aggressive Comp perm welded on my new build.
RA_M_1.jpg

The front site magazine rate the following: reduction of rearward movement and down force created by the brakes

reduction of rearward movement.........Down Force
TTI eliminator 63%.................................2nd
SJC 63%...............................................6th
JP Tank 61%..........................................5th
Miculek 58%...........................................2nd
Bennie Hills thunder 57%............................1st
JP Cooley 56%.......................................4th
Sabre Gill 54..........................................7th
DNTC 43%.............................................3rd

I just wet myself looking at a couple of those...I think i really like that DNTC one, but aparently the Miculek rates a little higher. It's probably something that I wouldn't even notice. maybe a competitive shooter would, but definately not me

I have a Miculek and JP Tank brake. They both work great. One of the ones I was really impressed with is the Bushmaster Y-comp. I can't see the ones that look like flashhiders being as effective. They don't seem to have the surface area for the gases to contact that the proven high ranking ones do. The SureFire one is new and is supposed to be really good but one feature of its design is that it doubles as a quick change adapter for their suppressors, which is an aspect that is sadly useless to most of us.

In my mind , I'd rather settle for a compensator then a muzzle brake. Simply because, when I shot an AR, I barely felt any recoil. I'd rather have let muzzle rise, then reduce the mighty punch of the .223 /5.56mm round

In my mind , I'd rather settle for a compensator then a muzzle brake. Simply because, when I shot an AR, I barely felt any recoil. I'd rather have let muzzle rise, then reduce the mighty punch of the .223 /5.56mm round

A Compensator and muzzle brake are the same thing. And the same brake will shoot different for different shooters. I found the Miculek clocked about 10* to the right works well, it keeps the dot tracking vertical when I don't have a good stance.

I guess your right. But in my mind, it's more about coolness FACTOR. Will this thing make puppies pee themselves. If the anwer is probably, then I'm all for it.

They're the same thing.

You won't reduce the velocity by any huge number, unless the compensation technique involves venting the gases before the bullet leaves the barrel. I have a compensated 1911 for instance, and there really isn't much difference velocity wise when that bullet sails through the chrono, compared to my uncomped backup gun. (both with 5" barrels, one just has a 3 port comp stuck on the end of it. ) The comp is generally just diverting gas that's otherwise wasted anyhow. I'm not saying there will be "no" difference, it's just that it's not anything worth worrying about.

-Mike

That's absolutely ridicoulosly awesome...hell with that I wouldn't even both putting ammo in the gun. I'd just shove that thing into the assailant's face a couple times. Afterwards, if i felt merciful...I may use the ammo.

Also, has anyone heard any good things about that specific comp?

I haven't read or heard any reviews about it.

A question I have myself is has it been tested and certified to qualify as a muzzle brake and not have any reduction in muzzle flash?

exactly, although it looks cool. If i'm going to strap something on my barrel, I want to make sure it serves its function as well as makes puppies and liberals piss themselves.

Back
Top Bottom