School me... AR noise/flash suppressor

If you are talking about a Silencer then 500 to 1500 is the price range. AAC AWC Silencerco are a few of the better ones.

Yes legal. Start paperwork now and if you're lucky you can take it home by thanksgiving. My at paperwork just came a few weeks back, I submitted it in Feb 2013.

Is there paperwork to be filled out for them in NH?

Yes, they're NFA items... Legal in NH (not in MA) so you just need to do the ATF crap. Be sure the shop you're going to get it from does the e-forms since those submissions take priority over paper forms. You also might want to look into setting up a NFA trust before this.

IIRC e-forms are only for LLCs/trusts. i haven't done one yet however.

check the NFA section, OP. there are some hoops to jump through for a suppressor, however it's %100 legal in NH. a trust as of now eliminates the need for a picture, prints, and CLEO sign-off on your form 4.

You need to find a dealer who deals in them.

Do your research and then call the manufacturer who makes what you want. They should be able to steer you to a dealer in your state who can handle things for you.

Don't worry. The dealer will do all the paperwork. You just need to bring money.

So here are my thoughts on AR silencers. Fun, but expensive. Here's why.

An AR or any rifle, makes a lot of gas. A lot of very high pressure gas.

To put things in perspective. When I reload 9mm, I use about 5 gr of powder. When I reload .223, I use about 29 grains of powder.
The operating pressure of 9mm ammo is about 30,000 psi. The operating pressure of .223 is about twice that.

Why am I telling you this? Because it means that a suppressor for a .223 has to be larger and stronger. Which means it will be heavier. Much heavier.

A standard steel suppressor RUINS the balance of an AR if its put on anything other than a pretty short SBR. I have a 10.5" SBR with an older Gemtech M402.
Its 6 inches long, 1.37 inches wide and weighs 16 ounces.

The answer is to go into some of the more exotic materials. But that means more money. So. . . I guess here's my point. If you want a suppressor that you will actually enjoy shooting, prepare to spend for some exotic metals. Otherwise, you will end up with something you only take out for the novelty and not as a usefull addition to your gun.

To put the weight into perspective. I've got a standard Aluminum and steel 9mm can. It weighs10 ounces. I've also got a 9mm deGroat Nano thats all titanium. It weighs 4 ounces, about the same as my YHM mite all aluminum .22 can.

Remember, a silencer is a pressure vessel. Tensile strength at high temps is everything. This just happens to be something that Titanium is very good at.

Ive owned one. It worked well, but no better than a $35 Miculek.

If you arent going to use it to mount one of their suppressors they arent really worth the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

What about an oil filter from NAPA? Saw one on YouTube that worked amazingly well.

Just kidding of course, nothing to see here move along....hey look Haleys Comet!......running away....

Legal? How much should I expect to spend for a decent one? what brands are good? etc. thanks in advance
New Hampshire has several good gun shops which can sell suppressors, most carry multiple brands and should have a few in stock so you can get a feel (literally) for the weight and balance.

There are usually several suppressors at NES shoots, not that you can tell effectiveness in the chaos.

Back
Top Bottom