• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Rifle/Pistol for 13 Year Old Daughter?

Hi all,

My 13 year old daughter has finally asked to learn to shoot - she was adamantly against learning until recently when I paid her to help me clean my guns! It worked. We had a lot of fun!

I want to get her her own rifle. A .22 perhaps? I want to get a really good one so accuracy of the rifle will help focus on her aim not the gun.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

By the way: my collection includes a .22 S&W revolver, two 9s (Beretta FS and H&K USP), a .38 stubby, .357 Mag Colt Python (6"), and an H&K SP89 (the civilian version of the MP5). No rifle though.

My daughter started shooting when she was about 10, and favorite rifle was/still is the Walther G22. With a red dot on it, it's hard to miss anything out to 50 yards. She likes to shoot watermelons, so hits are a foregone conclusion.

Her favorite pistol is a carbon fiber Walther P22.

Thank you! I would never have thought about those two. I think my brain got stuck on Winchester and Ruger. Carbon fiber - would be light enough for a kid.

Some choices:

- Bolt action .22 rifle, [Chipmunk is a single shot for children, but if child is almost adult-sized physically it's likely to be too small.]
- Ruger 10/22,
- .22 target pistol - Ruger MKII or MKIII

[I don't recommend the P22 only because I had horrendous experience with it . . . FTF on every mag with 5 different brands of ammo so I finally sold it. Others have had better or worse luck, so if you can test it out first . . . maybe.]

A lot depends on the following;

- maturity level of child,
- physical size,
- ability to follow directions after a little coaching.

Advice given by someone with no kids, so take it with a grain of salt. [wink]

A Ruger 10/22 is a good rifle to start off with. It's cheap (about $200 at Dicks) and accurate and is really one of those rifles that every shooter should own.

I got a Sig Mosquito for my 11yo daughter and a Mossberg 22 with a scope. The Sig has all the same features as the larger models and is a dream to shoot. The mossberg at Dick's with scope was under $150. Both can be fired at the indoor range, nice in winter time, and are cheap to shoot.

This one seems to appeal to the females!
hot-air-force-babe.jpg

Seriously though, Ruger 10-22 is what I plan on using for my kids when the time is right.

10/22 and the mosquito i think is a good idea, semi-autos will help her learn about clearing jams and the mosquito has that internal lock in the grip! 10/22 is just fun, open sight, then scope it up later!

.22 is a good way to start,but I would recommend you take her with you while looking regardless of what make you decide. Certainly let her decide on color!!

As yerslf one question. Do you want her shooting 5 rounds... or 10. Well, do ya... Punk?!

Seriously though, I like the simplicty of the bolt action and it might be good to break her in with that. If you think she's up for a semi auto go for the Ruger 10/22.

My $0.02.

My sugestion is that- On a rifle , DO NOT start a kid with a scope. They should learn the fundamentals with iron sights. See about getting her into a junior shooting program at a nearby club.

My sugestion is that- On a rifle , DO NOT start a kid with a scope. They should learn the fundamentals with iron sights. See about getting her into a junior shooting program at a nearby club.
Two ways to look at that... (and thus I disagree)

Gets back to the old "manual" vs "automatic" transmission debate...

I've found with my kids that the ability to rapidly improve their skill to the point of being able to shoot "functionally" with a scope (i.e. hit the stuff they are shooting other than targets) has made the process much more enjoyable for all...

We are still working on iron sights as well, but when you are talking about an 8-15yo recognize that this isn't the army, and you are not a drill sergeant...

I started with iron and they were progressing, but it was frustrating for them and while they kept at it, one session with the scope and they really lit up and got into it...

The bolt vs semi-auto debate for me is a little silly... Either they are mature enough to control their rate of fire or they aren't really ready to shoot... one in the mag until safe handling is demonstrated, then go nuts...

10/22 and p22 here and no complaints... hand guns are hard for small kids as control is an issue (for accuracy). A rifle that can rest on its own bag/pod/etc is really makes things easy and allows them to focus on squeeze, aim, etc...

I bought my 10 YO son a Henry Youth in .22 and its been great. The lever action, like a bolt action, forces the new shooter to slow down and cycle each round. Unlike the Cricket, its dimensions are such that a small person can comfortably sight/shoot it, but so can an adult. I've found the fit and finish to be outstanding, and it's as accurate as either my son or I are likely to get. It handles any .22 round that we've fed it. When coupled with Juice boxes, helium balloons (staked into the ground on a string), it makes for some very fun shooting.

The sad reality is that you are likely to run into enough jerks at your local gun range who hate seeing young kids there, that I would seriously recommend NOT getting her a semiautomatic. They will be b*tching and hovering around her all day long to make her uncomfortable. Get a bolt, pump, or level action .22. Something that can be left on the firing line with the breach clearly open. I would go with something that can do shorts, longs, and long rifle cartridges, just to keep the cost down.

The sad reality is that you are likely to run into enough jerks at your local gun range who hate seeing young kids there, that I would seriously recommend NOT getting her a semiautomatic. They will be b*tching and hovering around her all day long to make her uncomfortable.
If said jerks exist, either I have not met them or they haven't had the courage to confront me[smile]

Nothing but smiles and compliments...

I agree with rep308. A young person will learn a lot more with a bolt action than with a self loading rifle. Caliber .22LR is the only way to go, it is not intimidating and ammo is cheap. (I recommend you make her pay for her own ammo to give a sense of value.)
My choice of gun would be a Savage Mk 1 or Mk II FVT with peep sights. Good luck and congratulations on having a daughter to shoot with!

Bring her to a junior program...
The NRA qualification program is the best thing for kids and they get to do it around other kids.
That is the best way.
I have coached kids for many years and girls have great focus and really pay attension to detail.
i don't know what the closest club to you is but Ames, Taunton, Old colony Braintree, Hanson and many others host junior programs.
Thats the best route.

You are lucky then.
I am - two wonderful daughters [wink]

I think that's part of it... They take well planned shots and they conduct themselves well...

I've seen some really lousy behavior from kids (with bolt action rifles too)... But then, I've seen some really lousy behavior from adults too[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom