First range experience shooting a Black Powder Flintlock

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I finally put toghether everything I needed to shoot my Traditions Shenandoah Flintlock and headed to the range last Saturday.

100_2204.jpg

Once there I set up my targets at 50 yrds and figured that was a good place to start. I loaded up with 60grs of Schuetzen 3F with a .490 Round Ball (RB) and a .010 patch that was already covered in Wonderlube.

Figuring I'd have a bad flinch trying to shoot offhand, I set up a bench rest and used that during the day. You know, no matter how much you expect the movement and flash of the flint, that first shot still made flinch. The whole movement thing just got me. I was pretty happy in that I still kept it on the paper.

100_2207.jpg

First shot was lower right in the 7 ring. I shot 8 rounds all together. Most hit in the upper left between the 6 and 7 ring. My last shot I really concentrated and hit in the lower 9 ring almost dead center. Called it a day with that and moved to some more modern guns I had brought with me as well.

I did up my powder levels as I shot. Shots 1-3 were at 60grns. 4 and 5 were at 65 grns and 6-8 were at 70 grns. I couldn't really notice the difference on paper. Once I get a little more experienced, I'll move the target out to 100 yrds and I'm sure I'll see a difference them.

Learned some key things:
1. If you put to much powder in the pan you get a face full of crud flying into your face when it goes off. :hmm:
2. If you put to much powder in the pan the reaction time for the primary charge seems to take a split second longer.
3. The gun will go off even though you forgot to put powder in the pan. Don't ask. :shake:
4. You feel really stupid when you realize you've forgot to put powder in the bbl before starting the patch and RB. Good thing I bought a ball puller.
5. You do need to clean in between shots. After the second shot without cleaning I almost didn't get the 3rd RB down the bbl. It was VERY hard. Used a 50 cal bronze brush and cleaning rod between every shot after that to clear up the spent powder in the bbl. Is that OK? Didn't think using a wet cleaner was good seeing I would be puting powder down the bbl right after I use it.
6. These rifles can have some recoil. Then again, nothing wrong with that.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed shooting this flintlock. I can't wait to hit the range again and try it some more. I'm definitely hooked.

I finally put toghether everything I needed to shoot my Traditions Shenandoah Flintlock and headed to the range last Saturday.

Awesome! Flintlocks are fun, huh? Always seems to attract rubberneckers too [smile]

Rockrivr1 said:
2. If you put to much powder in the pan the reaction time for the primary charge seems to take a split second longer.

Yup, definitely. Also takes longer if you're putting ff or fff powder in the pan vs ffff powder.

Rockrivr1 said:
3. The gun will go off even though you forgot to put powder in the pan. Don't ask. :shake:

That's a lot more fun then when the opposite occurs; you do put powder in the pan but the main charge doesn't go off.

Rockrivr1 said:
Used a 50 cal bronze brush and cleaning rod between every shot after that to clear up the spent powder in the bbl.

I use a cotton bore mop between shots. Seems to work well.

Nice report - good shooting on the 1st time out.

Thanks for sharing and hope you have many more enjoyable days at the range with it.

Glad to hear it went well!

Not bad for your first time with a flintlock. BP Guns are just as addictive as any other as far as I'm concerned, thats why I bought so many haha. Good luck and the rifle looks nice, by the looks of things a sweet shooter too!

Back
Top Bottom