First CMP order! It's here!

I don't think its all that bad at 60 cents a round for good quality reloadable non-corrosive ammo with a free ammo can. I'm actually surprised the rifle price hasn't gone up yet.

this is true but from some post on the cmp they have had this ammo for years same batch when it was selling for .28 per round not long ago.....I quess it cost them more now to put in the cans and ship it out. Shipping also went up. OK so cmp can do what they wish as for price point. I just see a end to the CMP shooting events not to far off. If it where not for the inexpensive ammo the clubs supply there would be very little interest. The big problem is the cost of living is far out pacing people pay. I figured unless something big changes in my pay. I have aprox 5 years worth of shooting cmp events before I run out of current ammo and projected "extra" money to shoot. Enjoy while you can and stock up while you can.
Another little rant is guys dont like the loose ammo as its various years and lots and you can not get consistant groups with it. I know many who are waiting for the sealed cans to come back which they have been sitting on for a few years liquidating the loose ammo. Im sure it will be even more. The PPU M2 new production ammo is almost a better buy than the loose stuff. I have seen it as low as .69 per round.

oh the rifle prices, pretty sure those will go up or more items will go to aution.

Yeah but you also have to figure there's other costs involved even if they already have it sitting around. Its gotta be stored somewhere and there's gotta be security for it all, then there's transportation from there to wherever they package it and put on the shipping labels to the customers, then the transportation to the shipper, etc. All those things have costs involved with them that aren't going down, only up. From the warehouse space costs to the people doing the security and packing, to the materials used in packing, fuel for transport, etc. And that's not even factoring in if they have people de-linking and repackaging the stuff into 200 rd bags. So its understandable to me that stuff is gonna cost more across the board. But yes cost of living is definitely outpacing peoples' incomes and that is a huge problem all around.

Ohh the fun...shoot while you can boys and girls. Lets just hope it is many years before they ban lead bullets.
I smiled a little more today. Trying to make room under the stairs for more junk I came across 2 240rnd cans and 3000 rnds of centerion "target" 22lr. I knew I didnt shoot that much 22 in the past year or so!

Last edited:
I will calculate my increase in cost of living here and price my 240 round tins for you[smile] not for sale[wink]. I might sell off a few loose cans. As for the 22. Now that I found it. I do have some I will be posting in the karma section for jr shooters. 500 rounds there now more to come after the new year.

wow that's very generous of you!
I hope to finally get really deep in there. I have a good amount of random 22lr from over the years that will be going up also. I have a small stock pile of 22 also from my dad who hung onto the stuff we where shooting as kids. I sampled it about 4 years ago before it got burried and it all shot as well now as it did then. Most of it is orlin or Junoir branded.

I picked up my ammo at the Westborough depot last week. No metal detectors or searches. Just a nice lady who told me I was smart to buy bulk ammo since they are always trying to take our guns away. I did see a sign that said no weapons are allowed on FedEx trucks. I thought that was interesting because I know my garand will be on one soon. All in all it was a great experience in Westborough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up my H&R SG today, looks in really great shape to me. It's got new wood which is a bit of a bummer since I requested original but no big deal. It looks like it needs to be treated, anyone have any suggestions for what to put on the wood? Now I just need to figure out how to strip it to clean it then off to the range :)

The military speced linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil is more popular as it dries a lot faster. I use boiled linseed because I'm impatient. The CMP only puts on about 1 couat. You should add another 5 or 6 at the very least.

Thanks!!!

The military speced linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil is more popular as it dries a lot faster. I use boiled linseed because I'm impatient. The CMP only puts on about 1 couat. You should add another 5 or 6 at the very least.

There's no one oil really (there are a handful of 'correct' oils you can use though). You could do PTO (Pure Tung Oil) as well. CMP forums have beaten this subj. to death. Really it's whats available to you, how much time you have and what kind of finish you're aiming for.

A simple search at CMP forums for 'oil stock' will probably yield more than your head and eyes can handle. PTO takes longer to cure, it's what I use. You'll need to dispose of the rags properly though.

ETA: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=16625

Last edited:
There's no one oil really (there are a handful of 'correct' oils you can use though). You could do PTO (Pure Tung Oil) as well. CMP forums have beaten this subj. to death. Really it's whats available to you, how much time you have and what kind of finish you're aiming for.

A simple search at CMP forums for 'oil stock' will probably yield more than your head and eyes can handle. PTO takes longer to cure, it's what I use. You'll need to dispose of the rags properly though.

ETA: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=16625[/QUOTE

As noted be careful of wood finishing product disposal!
The new wood stocks are sprayed with a modern stain/sealer from the stock manufacture. Its thin and from my 3 stocks purchased from cmp kinda sucks.
It only took a moderated sanding to remove. They stain the stocks to help match the stock parts better.
Military used tung oil a lot until we went to war with the largest supplier of tung oil. Also not they used what ever they felt like or had on hand.
I prefer tung oil. 100% PURE tung oil. I use Hopes brand as its stocked at local paint supply store. Milk tree brand gets high reviews also plus has a darker oil available. Follow directions for any product and it will cure. I give at least a 7 days between coats.

My grand mother used tung oil on a lot of wood refinishing projects. Her method was based on if the wood smelled strong of oil it wasn't cured.

If you search garand stock finishing in the milsurp section here on nes there's a good amount of info.
I did a HRA with new wood and in the post you can see what can happen when you remove the sprayed on stain.
Sometimes you uncover nice grain sometimes bad.
Almost anything you do other than the cmp finish will look better.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...RA-range-report-stock-fit-mods-and-tune/page2 also did 2 03a3 stocks.

Last edited:
For anyone in free hampshire... C'mon CMP..

M2 Ball, AP .30-06 200 ROUNDS LOOSE IN 30 CAL CAN
CMP will not ship any AP ammo to Massachusetts, Washington
D.C., Puerto Rico or the Virgin Island.

In the following states, local and state laws should be
checked before receiving AP ammo- California, Illinois,
Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Rhode
Island, Tennessee, New York, New Jersey, Hawaii & Nevada.

M2 Ball, AP .30-06, Various US Manufacturers. Packaged
in 200 round loose plastic bags in .30 cal can.

May or may not be corrosive. Headstamp varies 1939-1968.
Ammo attracts a magnet.

Weight is 15lb per can
Price-$125.00 per can + S&H $9.95 per can--AK & HI-$15.95

https://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=4C3006XAP-200P

ETA: Looks like they had HXP linked ammo, 250rds for $112 shipped, but no shipping to MA as well. Looks like the days of the CMP are over until I move to NH.

Last edited:
For anyone in free hampshire... C'mon CMP..

https://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=4C3006XAP-200P

ETA: Looks like they had HXP linked ammo, 250rds for $112 shipped, but no shipping to MA as well. Looks like the days of the CMP are over until I move to NH.

Linked ammo falls under large capacity feeding device. You can argue the preban thing all day. Are these links preban? Also the linked ammo sometimes contains tracers and or armour piercing ammunition.
CMP days are coming to a end sooner than we would like. Not long from now cmp will be all air rifles. I give it about 8 years Max. The banning of lead and the act of Congress to shut cmp down is in the near future unless there are drastic changes.......sucks but that's what I see. Buy asxmuch hxp as you can afford.

The CMP bulk 200 rounds of Greek went from $98 to $118 + shipping from dec 31 to jan 1. I didn't know they wouldn't ship linked ammo to MA and am still kicking myself for not buying 4 cans instead of 1 last month!!! Sadly I agree,the future of the CMP doesn't look great.

Linked ammo falls under large capacity feeding device. You can argue the preban thing all day. Are these links preban? Also the linked ammo sometimes contains tracers and or armour piercing ammunition.
CMP days are coming to a end sooner than we would like. Not long from now cmp will be all air rifles. I give it about 8 years Max. The banning of lead and the act of Congress to shut cmp down is in the near future unless there are drastic changes.......sucks but that's what I see. Buy asxmuch hxp as you can afford.

The lead thing isn't correct from what I've read. The lead used in ammunition is almost 100% recycled lead from sources like car batteries.

The lead thing isn't correct from what I've read. The lead used in ammunition is almost 100% recycled lead from sources like car batteries.
More in reference to the ban of lead bullets as in no longer legal to make them, own them, shoot them.
Coming with in a few years anyway....

Last edited:
What exactly is the deal with not shipping ammo to MA? I know it's not illegal, and I know most companies wont do it. If there is no law against it, how does the AG intimidate them? On what grounds?

What exactly is the deal with not shipping ammo to MA? I know it's not illegal, and I know most companies wont do it. If there is no law against it, how does the AG intimidate them? On what grounds?
I guess the AG sends out threatening letters. The letter must also contain a gag order as I have requested copies of any such letters to be sent to goal and comm2a to challenge the legality of them?
Vendors don't really give a shit especially the big ones!
Midway, cabelas,bass pro just to name a few don't already have big layers? They all could easily confront this BS. I see as it really is. Our money just is not big enough for them to care.

At the beginning of last year, when CMP put the 10 can a year ammo limit, the newsletter said they hoped the HXP would last 1-2 more years. In 2010 Orest Michaels said they have enough rifles (and barreled actions) for "a few more years". Then last April, he said that he doubted the North and South stores racks will ever be filled again.

I'd be extremely happy if we have 2 more years of the CMP as we know it.

Back
Top Bottom