First 1911, suggestions

I second going with buying a Colt if you can. I picked up my first 1911 recently and it was a reblued Colt gun. I brought it to the range and right out it shot quite well. Just make sure you can get one for a reasonable price. I paid $595 for mine and that was with shipping to my door included.

1911 pistol

I love the 1911. For me, nothing points as naturaly as the 1911. That said the 1911 requires much more training than all the idiot proof handguns out there. I think it's the best self defense handgun available and worth the effort to become proficient and safe with it. If you'd like to try one out,I shoot at harvard every saturday and sunday.

That said the 1911 requires much more training than all the idiot proof handguns out there.

I see this all the time, and I just don't get it. I think the 1911 requires less training that some other guns, because you won't be fighting bad ergonomics or a lousy trigger. Turning the safety off as part of your presentation just isn't that hard, and you should be practicing malfunction clearances with any autoloader.

I see this all the time, and I just don't get it. I think the 1911 requires less training that some other guns, because you won't be fighting bad ergonomics or a lousy trigger. Turning the safety off as part of your presentation just isn't that hard, and you should be practicing malfunction clearances with any autoloader.

For the record- I love the 1911... I have a couple myself and shoot it in IDPA quite a bit. That being said I don't agree that it's as "easy" as something like a Glock, SIG or an M&P. I've had occasional issues of having the hammer drop without having the FP strike the primer (timing I know.. but a bad grip can cause issues in a 1911), I had a couple of instances of not getting the thumb safety off quick enough... or hitting it up by mistake. With the 1911 design I think if you ride the slide lock with your thumb (not uncommon) you can get failures to lock back. Great gun but there is more to deal with. Is it a HUGE issue? I don't think so but I doubt I'd recommend one for a first gun that's for sure.

If you want some fancy grips, this guy has a whole range of designs. As to these guys.

That said, I'm not sure I understand the whole "hard to shoot" or "need training" comments. Even though I don't like Glocks, I found them easy to shoot - you just pulled the trigger and it went BANG! Guns with safeties? No real problem there, either.

Only handgun I ever REALLY disliked firing was a Nagant revolver... that thing was just plain fugly.

I have been shooting my Colt 1911, made in 1918, for over 35 years now. I have done all the usual accuracy mods and It's a better shooter than I am. My favorite gun. Everyone should own a Colt 1911, Python and Woodsman just for the hell of it. Jack.

Everyone should own a Colt 1911, Python and Woodsman just for the hell of it. Jack.

If the Whore of Hartford hadn't thrown civilians under the bus regarding its products, perhaps everyone could.

Fortunately, the 1911 is made just as well or better by other firms and there are equivalents to the other two available.

That said the 1911 requires much more training than all the idiot proof handguns out there.

I couldn't disagree more to this statement. Why would it require more training? Because when you pull the gun from the holster you have to disengage the safety? I along with most competitive shooters shoot a 1911 variant in competition and I don't think I need more training than a guy running a Glock or a "safe" gun.

It does, as I've learned, require more patience regarding breaking-it in. My glock was ready for action on day one. Seems I need to work on my 1911 a little bit more.

It does, as I've learned, require more patience regarding breaking-it in. My glock was ready for action on day one. Seems I need to work on my 1911 a little bit more.

Then the gun prob. wasn't built right. My competition 1911 has over 30,000 rounds thru it and it's worked 110% since day one. Even if a gun requires more of a break in period it doesn't mean it requires training than a Glock.

I keep seeing people on here post about 1911s and how great they are, it's made me really interested. I have yet to shoot one myself, but I am now thinking about picking one up.

I've recently become a fan of .45s in general, my Ruger P345 is now my daily carry, both on and off duty, and I can't say enough good things about it.

But now I'm thinking seriously about picking up a 1911 and would like some suggestions. Money is an issue, as my current job situation is uncertain, so I'm looking for a moderately priced, but good quality 1911. I don't mind getting a basic gun and upgrading / having work done on it later as I can.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look at? New or used doesn't matter to me. What should I look at and what kind of prices should I expect?

Thanks.

Please tell me where you can get a S&W 1911 brand new for $700?

Then the gun prob. wasn't built right. My competition 1911 has over 30,000 rounds thru it and it's worked 110% since day one. Even if a gun requires more of a break in period it doesn't mean it requires training than a Glock.

Actually it probably requires less training. All of my shots with a 1911 were point of aim, and the sights were naturally always on target whereas it took me a really long time to understand how the sights worked on my glock. I kept aiming it too high at first. I think my 1911 is a mag issue, so I bought some more Wilsons to help because they seem to work well

Back
Top Bottom