Firearms used on people

pj150

NES Member
I didn't want to muck up the other posters thread so I'm creating a new one.

It seems that people have an aversion to firearms that we used on people. What about all those C&R pieces we all have and the auction pieces the dealers get in and retail? We don't know for sure but we can say for some level of certainty that if not bought new, you really never know do you?

So what would happen if you found little notches in that sks or happen to find out the 'real' history of your second hand semi? You would get rid of it and not tell the new owners? Do you just keep it knowing that it's just a piece of metal/tool and has no soul?

Personally speaking, I'm sure one or more of my C&R pieces has seen action. I'll be a bit disappointed it it wasn't fired during some battle and keeping the enemy at bay. If it did take a life, then so be it. I do feel a bit weird but think about it, it was made to shoot projectiles and if it was at paper or people, it was just doing what it was made to do.

Soldiers that take the life of the enemy are not criminals
Enemies that fight "honorably" against us may, at the time, be dirty bastids, but are not criminals.

So, too with the arms used.

Exactly. Its part of the history.

Sometimes history is ...unfortunate.

If someone objects to anyone owning a milsurp firearm or a known "Crime gun" - (for lack of a better term) - ask them is any of their cars were ever used in a hit and run or by a drunk driver.

Same difference. [thinking]

i've lost count of my zero body count guns. [smile]

the closest i ever came to shooting someone was in Iraq. it looked like the guy had an RPG but it was a camera. i want THAT M4. only because i knew it would fire.

If you were cooking dinner and sliced your finger with a knife, would you wash the knife off and continue or get rid if that knife?

I see it as a very similar situation.

If you were cooking dinner and sliced your finger with a knife, would you wash the knife off and continue or get rid if that knife?

Well....I have a couple knives in my drawer that I won't use. I get a bad "vibe" from them. I'm sure that it's just balance and ergonomics, not unclean spirits, but they're not for me.

Feelings are not subject to rational rules.

Feelings are not subject to rational rules.

+1

That about sums it up. Frankly I would rather have a milsurp gun that spent its entire life in the arms room or armory, not because it wasn't used in battle to take human life, but because it will probably be in really great condition.

Back in 1991 when I was on the Second Infantry Division G2 staff I was issued an old Remington Rand 1911A1. It was four years older than me, I was very proud to have been issued that pistol, and frequently wondered what tales it could tell, and who had previously been issued it. (yeah, I know the M9 became our official handgun in 1985, but 1911's were in the inventory through the early 90's). It wasn't in really great shape (pitted barrel) but in a close quarters battle situation, I was confident that it would do its part, if I did mine. So, yeah my feelings towards it were positive, even though it may have been used in taking human life sometime in its career. I'd feel different about a suicide gun, though. Believe me I understand the argument rationally, but I still feel that it is creepy. Call me a hypocrite, if you will, but that's what I feel, not necessarily what I think.

Mark L.

I would not care if it were used to kill someone I do not know. Family member or freind would be a different story but I would definetly keep it, I may or may not shoot it.

Suicide and combat are different things. Suicide gun, no I would not want it. C&R or other military rifle, I'd be disappointed if it did NOT see combat. Seeing action in a war adds to the historical significance of the piece, which is part of why I like them. Its "been there" and is a tangible part of history. Besides, I dont look my WWII rifles and think "who did this gun kill" I think "maybe this gun saved the soldier that trusted his life to it" Then again, if any of my Mosin's or my Enfield took down a couple Nazi's...well, all the better.

I wouldn't care if it was a suicide gun dug from a pile of broken mirrors in a desecrated Indian burial ground on Friday the 13th.

How's that?

ETA: Unless it's a .40

Last edited:
In the case of milsurps or police trade-ins, I wouldn't be concerned about any shootings the gun was used in. I would look at them as "good" shoots, or at least justifiable, or shootings that were expected by the gun's designer. But if it were used in a murder or suicide, or (bloody unlikely but theoretical) was a milsurp used in an atrocity, I'd pass it by. Not interested in a gun that I knew had spilled innocent blood. No gangbanger glocks or Mausers recovered from the guards barracks at Auschwitz. I know they're tools in the killer's hands, but I'll take a different tool, thanks.

Change the name on a boat,.....No.

Own a Car named Christine,......Maybe.

A firearm with "history",.......No problem, it wouldn't matter to me. I've never heard of any bad luck from that.

If that had been the case no one would have been killed..
I seem to recall a certain story about a guy named David and some other dude, Goliath, where he used a rock to kill him... Should we clear the earth of rocks in remembrance?

Man people need to grow up....

How did we become a nation of trembling children?

I've got a knife in the cellar that my wife insisted I get rid of due to it's previous use.

I only care about it's future use. [grin]

I'd like an old German gun from a Concentration Camp. Love to look at it, and think about how the sick bastard that used to use it was rotting in a hole somewhere being eaten by worms:)

Ooh, was that nasty? Sorry… NOT!

Back
Top Bottom