• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms Ownership History

They tend to count all your incoming stuff and then just forget about you selling it on to others.

In many, many cases, the database shows many more firearms owned than are actually in the safe. I've got quite a few firearms, but the state seems to think I've got almost double what I actually own.

A bunch of us here have probably over 100 guns in that thing but maybe own/retain a fraction of the amount depicted in the system.

I own a lot of guns and they all there, in the order I bought them.
Lol some of us have varying results. A lot of my stuff never appeared. In some cases it's obvious why, others it's a mystery. (Like you know box stores like FS definitely didn't destroy forms).

A feature not a flaw (from the state's perspective). That's why you need to use the databases that they made public (the original ones, not the later versions). With a little magic, it should show you what you acquired and what you got rid of... provided, of course, that you or a MA dealer recorded the transfers.

For what left the state (other than through a MA dealer), you are out of luck. :)

Happy fun ball is having a gun and FA10 in your hand for it, from a dealer and not finding it in there. 🤣

The database is missing a lot of data for a variety of reasons.

View: https://youtu.be/GmqeZl8OI2M

A bunch of us here have probably over 100 guns in that thing but maybe own/retain a fraction of the amount depicted in the system.
That sounds familiar. I've traded lots of firearms out of state at KTP and other out of state dealers. I did a huge safe cleaning up there early this year because I knew the firearm market was going to shit this year. Nothing given other than a reciept. Some in state sales/transfers at FFL's not even given a receipt, and no way of crosstracking most likely.

So their database is ASS its a snapshot of what you might own or might not.

Personal transfers and registrations are more of a joke.......as prior to FA-10, nothing was being done, some people used blue cards or whatever the fxck you call them, most people I know in that time period didn't.

Even via FA-10....no serial number database checking? No data checking.....people make mistakes on all that shit.

I assume OP going down the rabbithole of the state knowing what you own and knocking on your door or some bullshit. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Has anybody else recently checked their gun ownership history through the MA. DCJIS? I recently contacted them and was surprised how quickly they got back to me and disappointed about how much they know about what I own. After doing business in this State for over 30 years, I was expecting them to be much more incompetent, like most MA. GOV agencies. Apparently, the one thing they are good at is tracking our firearm purchases! So much for not having a registry! I am curious to know if anybody has a similar experience.
They are not good at that.
If they have proper records of all your stuff, you haven't been buying and selling enough.

That sounds familiar. I've traded lots of firearms out of state at KTP and other out of state dealers. I did a huge safe cleaning up there early this year because I knew the firearm market was going to shit this year.
So did the firearm market go to sh*t this year?

Has anybody else recently checked their gun ownership history through the MA. DCJIS? I recently contacted them and was surprised how quickly they got back to me and disappointed about how much they know about what I own. After doing business in this State for over 30 years, I was expecting them to be much more incompetent, like most MA. GOV agencies. Apparently, the one thing they are good at is tracking our firearm purchases! So much for not having a registry! I am curious to know if anybody has a similar experience.
For me they are a little over 50%.

A friend of mine in Andover, MA was contacted about a revolver. He sold it 10+ years prior to someone else in his club. Changed hands again, then to a guy in Lawrence whose son used it in a crime.

So did the firearm market go to sh*t this year?
Have you been to a gun shop or tried to sell/trade a gun?

Shops are full of guns and not even taking guns in most cases for cash.

Trade value is ass compared to what it was a year ago.

Since 2021.....Yes it did. I estimate late 2023 to fall off a cliff if any indication of what I'm seeing in gun stores, not hold steady like 2022.
1690548550992.png

Last edited:
Have you been to a gun shop or tried to sell a gun? Yes it did.
I have and they are packed.

Was at Dean Safety a few days ago, I arrived 15min before they opened, there was one person waiting. By the time I left 20min after opening the place had 9 people all waiting to buy, not just "look". People had to wait outside.

I am also not trying to sell a Shield, 365 or Glock like seems everyone else is.

The leaked list was seriously flawed for me. It listed guns that I had sold and had FA10 copies for, and yet I couldn't find a record of the buyer acquiring them. It was also missing several guns that I have FA10s for. Total cluster.

I have and they are packed.

Was at Dean Safety a few days ago, I arrived 15min before they opened, there was one person waiting. By the time I left 20min after opening the place had 9 people all waiting to buy, not just "look". People had to wait outside.

I am also not trying to sell a Shield, 365 or Glock like seems everyone else is.
Maybe at Dean Safety......try Shooters Outpost or KTP.....the bigger retailers....they are more of a fingerprint of what's going on.

The difference now....is guns you couldn't get before you can, and they are sitting on shelves and in racks for long periods of time. Once people feel they can get what they want at any time....there is less inclination to buy and store it.

Kittery used to be loaded on any day of the week and you had to wait deli line ticket, racks that were bare, are now full. I went in there not too long ago....on a Saturday, and didn't even need to wait.

Doesn't matter what your selling. Its getting less. And in some cases like Black Rifles at KTP.....they won't even take them anymore. Was in Old Glory 2 weeks ago.....some guy came in to get cash for guns.....they said we aren't doing that anymore. If you trade towards a gun we will give you a trade value, but don't expect much.....our racks are full and we have guns sitting for months now.

Maybe in the Northeast its not quite as bad....but when I went to PA......Cabelas down there had extra racks on the library floor, out side the library..........full of guns.

Last edited:
I got the list about 4 years ago I think. They still had on it shit that I bought in 1978, and had sold
Which meant it is working correctly. It is a "write-only" database. The list you purchased should have included every gun you ever owned, provided the transfer to you was registered. Sorry, but that's just the way it was set-up and intended to work. Sucks, but until the FRB changes their purchased lists to become net ownership lists, this is what you are going to get for your money. 🤔

Sucks, but until the FRB changes their purchased lists to become net ownership lists
No, it doesn't.

That would be an in fact registry.

What we have is a messy, incomplete, de facto registry.

Why would it suck that their tool is less than accurate?

You keep whining about how things won't get better before you shuffle off, then you tell us it sucks that we only have a mediocre firearms registry. Which is it? Do you want things better or worse? Or do you just want to whinge?

I've checked my own, going to be honest I found the MIRCS database dump to be more useful.

That's how I found out I have guns registered to me that I do not own, and never have.

I find it interesting that the MIRCS dump gives much more specufic and private information about your firearms to the public than a records request for your personal info does.

Curious as to what motivated you to take the time and spend the money?
I have been doing business in this State for a long time and have had State officials come after me for things I had nothing to do with. I even spent 6 months fighting with them over transposing 2 numbers (about $32) on payroll. I don't trust any officials in this State and I wanted to know what they knew about my Firearms collection. Perhaps I should not have done this, but I wanted to know if others had the same result I did.

Last edited:
That's how I found out I have guns registered to me that I do not own, and never have.
You can easily go and register a bunch of guns to someone else. Yet another example of how useless this system really is.

It's not called a registry, it's a "transaction database"... :rolleyes:
The difference is that is not a criminal offense to have a gun not in the database, as is the case with true registration. The crime would be "not reporting" (except in cases where that is not required)

Need more info on all these 365's for sale everywhere. Does that mean prices are being driven down? Is there a problem with them?

That would be an in fact registry.
What we have is a messy, incomplete, de facto registry.
Aren't these 2 the same thing?

Does it match the excel spreadsheet that "accidentally" got released a few months back?

Back
Top Bottom