• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms Ownership History

B191299

NES Member
Has anybody else recently checked their gun ownership history through the MA. DCJIS? I recently contacted them and was surprised how quickly they got back to me and disappointed about how much they know about what I own. After doing business in this State for over 30 years, I was expecting them to be much more incompetent, like most MA. GOV agencies. Apparently, the one thing they are good at is tracking our firearm purchases! So much for not having a registry! I am curious to know if anybody has a similar experience.

Has anybody else recently checked their gun ownership history through the MA. DCJIS? I recently contacted them and was surprised how quickly they got back to me and disappointed about how much they know about what I own. After doing business in this State for over 30 years, I was expecting them to be much more incompetent, like most MA. GOV agencies. Apparently, the one thing they are good at is tracking our firearm purchases! So much for not having a registry! I am curious to know if anybody has a similar experience.

Nope. I don't care what they think.

I will say this: I know where you're coming from. Knowing bureaucracy in general and MA gov't bureaucracy in particular, I'd expect the whole EFA-10 system to work MUCH worse than it does. Once you figure out the kinks, which isn't that hard, it's quick and pretty painless.

Mind you, it's still an unconstitutional infringement. But.

Well, they gave us all a good look when they published the databases on-line. That data was date range limited, but it was enough to give us the general idea. They know more about us than some of us know about ourselves. [laugh]

Rumors of a hopelessly worthless, incomplete joke of a database come up on NES all the time. Methinks that is mostly wishful thinking. 🤔

Well, they gave us all a good look when they published the databases on-line. That data was date range limited, but it was enough to give us the general idea. They know more about us than some of us know about ourselves. [laugh]

Rumors of a hopelessly worthless, incomplete joke of a database come up on NES all the time. Methinks that is mostly wishful thinking. 🤔
Methinks you are right!

How did you contact them? What questions did you ask? How did they answer: on the phone, by sending you a file etc?

How did you contact them? What questions did you ask? How did they answer: on the phone, by sending you a file etc?
I downloaded the form on their website. It is a bit of a nuisance, since they want it Notarized and they only accept a bank check. It was $20. I will say that they emailed me the list 3 days after receiving it.

I downloaded the form on their website. It is a bit of a nuisance, since they want it Notarized and they only accept a bank check. It was $20. I will say that they emailed me the list 3 days after receiving it.
Ok, so we know it shows what you bought, but is the list reflecting any sales (if any), thereby listing your buys - sales = ending inventory?

No?

It's worthless because it yields false positives. It's incomplete because it doesn't include everything.

For those who've only ever owned firearms in MA, and/or own about ten or fewer guns, and/or and don't buy or sell frequently, yes. It's probably pretty accurate. For the rest of us? LOL!

[popcorn]

No, it only shows, in order, what you bought. It makes it look like you have much more than you actually own.
A feature not a flaw (from the state's perspective). That's why you need to use the databases that they made public (the original ones, not the later versions). With a little magic, it should show you what you acquired and what you got rid of... provided, of course, that you or a MA dealer recorded the transfers.

For what left the state (other than through a MA dealer), you are out of luck. :)

I had a MA LTC from 1985 to 1991/92. I let it expire because I was out of state. I got it back in 2013 when I returned. When I went to get my LTC in 2013 I did not have my old one or know the number. The local PD couldn't find my old one, or that is what they said, as I was hoping to maybe do a renewal and avoid the application process again. Regardless I got the new one and I am sure it has a different number. I wonder if I send for my list would they be able to pick up anything from my first LTC. I'm thinking probably not.

It's worthless because it yields false positives. It's incomplete because it doesn't include everything.

For those who've only ever owned firearms in MA, and/or own about ten or fewer guns, and/or and don't buy or sell frequently, yes. It's probably pretty accurate. For the rest of us? LOL!
I own a lot of guns and they all there, in the order I bought them.

I had a MA LTC from 1985 to 1991/92. I let it expire because I was out of state. I got it back in 2013 when I returned. When I went to get my LTC in 2013 I did not have my old one or know the number. The local PD couldn't find my old one, or that is what they said, as I was hoping to maybe do a renewal and avoid the application process again. Regardless I got the new one and I am sure it has a different number. I wonder if I send for my list would they be able to pick up anything from my first LTC. I'm thinking probably not.

IIRC the LTC number and PIN change every renewal.

No, I never even checked that list.

They tend to count all your incoming stuff and then just forget about you selling it on to others.

In many, many cases, the database shows many more firearms owned than are actually in the safe. I've got quite a few firearms, but the state seems to think I've got almost double what I actually own.

IIRC the LTC number and PIN change every renewal.

Back in the 80s the LTC were paper and typed by someone. You had to provide your own picture and your actual thumbprint and signature was on it. There was no PIN number. I'm not sure if they would have linked that one with my current license given the fact when they migrated to the new system my old LTC had expired and I had not yet applied for a new one. I guess the only way to find out is fork over $20 and see. Been thinking about doing it for a long time regardless.

They tend to count all your incoming stuff and then just forget about you selling it on to others.

In many, many cases, the database shows many more firearms owned than are actually in the safe. I've got quite a few firearms, but the state seems to think I've got almost double what I actually own.
Same here

Back in the 80s the LTC were paper and typed by someone. You had to provide your own picture and your actual thumbprint and signature was on it. There was no PIN number. I'm not sure if they would have linked that one with my current license given the fact when they migrated to the new system my old LTC had expired and I had not yet applied for a new one. I guess the only way to find out is fork over $20 and see. Been thinking about doing it for a long time regardless.

I remember those days. They did them in house and you still didn’t get them any faster.😆

I feel like I’m going to regret asking but I’m going to anyways….

Given that registrations are technically unconstitutional. What’s the legal excuse the state uses for getting away with theirs? I assume it’s been challenged in court at some point long before I came along.

I just went through the same process. FRB demands a bank check or money order. DOR accepts a personal check. Paranoia runs deep.

For anyone who bought a gun from a private seller on a "blue card" back before 1992, there may not be a record of it because there was a flood in the basement of 1010 Comm Ave, which is where they were once stored, before the MDC, Capital and Registry Police departments were merged into the MSP.

For anyone who bought a gun from a private seller on a "blue card" back before 1992, there may not be a record of it because there was a flood in the basement of 1010 Comm Ave, which is where they were once stored, before the MDC, Capital and Registry Police departments were merged into the MSP.
I still have unused Blue Cards and paper FA-10's I guess I'm a hoarder.

I feel like I’m going to regret asking but I’m going to anyways….

Given that registrations are technically unconstitutional. What’s the legal excuse the state uses for getting away with theirs? I assume it’s been challenged in court at some point long before I came along.
It's not called a registry, it's a "transaction database"... :rolleyes:

You must be new here. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom