FFL required I buy lock for transfer

This is not a stunt i would try pulling.

People need to stop using shitty dealers who aren't honest about what they charge. (this is obvious case) There are tons of dealers who will throw free locks at people (if needed. ) there are also a ton who simply don't give a shit (and honestly, most new-ish guns have a lock in the box regardless)
DRG said it nicely.

If you leave without filling out the 4473 and having your the transfer processed by MIRCS, the PD is going to be more interested in your criminal offenses than a civil dispute with the dealer.

The state has an approved list at https://www.mass.gov/doc/approved-firearm-safetylocking-devices-06-15-2020/download, but has this interesting carveout [post corrected here] :

In addition to the approved list, pursuant to the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, the Colonel of the Department of State Police has determined that locks provided by the manufacturer of firearms, or large capacity weapons, both as defined in Section 121 of Chapter 140, sold within the Commonwealth, that are designed to prevent the discharge of such weapon by unauthorized users shall be deemed as approved locks for the purpose of complying with the provisions of M.G.L. c.140, § 131K

DRG said it nicely.

If you leave without filling out the 4473 and having your the transfer processed by MIRCS, the PD is going to be more interested in your criminal offenses than a civil dispute with the dealer

I don't think he implied (walking off without signing/aporoval ) that but rather after the paperwork was done, of course shitty mc shit dealer can just collect the $$ after the fed proceed but before filing the FA10 and bind someone that way.... if they want to be really scummy, lol. Regardless if the gyrations its something i wouldn't do. Who wants to deal with trying to convince a LEO (about an easy 80% of which don’t understand ma gun law) the lock you brought with you was sufficient when scumbag dealer tries to sic the police on you? I don't.

Last edited:
This is how it should be. Obviously as Rob Boudrie has reminded everyone, dealers are required to sell guns with trigger locks - they don’t want the state coming down on them any harder than they are lol. They’re so shitty and plentiful though that you think they would just include them for free. But to have a wall of trigger locks for sale is silly IMO.
I don't know how other towns do it but Franklin always has a box of cable locks for free at the Police Station. I can see big box stores selling them but it seems like it would be a goodwill gesture for LGS t just give you one.

I don't know how other towns do it but Franklin always has a box of cable locks for free at the Police Station. I can see big box stores selling them but it seems like it would be a goodwill gesture for LGS t just give you one.
Southborough PD does the same

I was in KTP yesterday with a buddy who he bought a 20G shot gun. The sales guy said "I'll give you a lock if you want it". Before my friend said anything I said "sure, since we are heading to Commichusetts" and we both thanked him. My advise echo's many so far....get a new FFL.

Yes, my former MA PD handed me a box of them one time some years ago. I gave them out to some friends who were unaware of the storage law and to a friend of my Wife who inherited some guns.

The chief in my NH town told us (citizen's police academy) that they also have them to hand out if anyone asked the dispatchers.

I'll bet that the ones supplied to the PDs are NOT on that CMR list of so-called approved cable locks. [laugh2]

And how do you handle it when the dealer says he will send it back to the the sending FFL upon payment of his handling fee and shipping?
Wait until they've scratched it out of the Bound Book.
ETA: Or does it even transit the Bound Book on a transfer? IDK...

Who wants to deal with trying to convince a LEO (about an easy 80% of which don’t understand ma gun law) the lock you brought with you was sufficient when scumbag dealer tries to sic the police on you? I don't.
The LEO whose recourse is to arrest the transferring FFL for consumer fraud?
(Or shoot the buyer in the back as they leave the store with the gun they bought and paid for?)

(Seller doesn't have to stick around past the Proceed).

... the key ... not work. Go back in and complain the lock is broken, demand a new one. ...
Worked for me, in quadruplicate.
(Mind the Wrap Rage).

Back
Top Bottom