FFL required I buy lock for transfer

I was doing an FFL transfer around the Stoneham area today on a private party sale and while filling out paperwork the FFL mentioned that I needed a lock. I said I could grab one from the car but he said that's not allowed and directed me to the wall of locks they sell. I walked over and grabbed the cheapest cable lock they had and when they rung me up he added the lock cost to the total. Their transfer fee already seemed high at $55 but then the $8.99 for the cheap cable lock we all have too many of seemed a bit much. I didn't want to argue over a few bucks so I just paid and left. If the seller had included a cable box with the firearm I'm assuming that would've sufficed? I'm assuming this is normal but wasn't something I had thought of before.

I was doing an FFL transfer around the Stoneham area today on a private party sale and while filling out paperwork the FFL mentioned that I needed a lock. I said I could grab one from the car but he said that's not allowed and directed me to the wall of locks they sell. I walked over and grabbed the cheapest cable lock they had and when they rung me up he added the lock cost to the total. Their transfer fee already seemed high at $55 but then the $8.99 for the cheap cable lock we all have too many of seemed a bit much. I didn't want to argue over a few bucks so I just paid and left. If the seller had included a cable box with the firearm I'm assuming that would've sufficed? I'm assuming this is normal but wasn't something I had thought of before.
He's a shyster. I'd drop a dime to the AFT and let them know their business practices. The guy is a clear shark that should be stayed away from. As far as I know, the law startes to must lock the weapon for transport. No law that I'm aware of speaks of any requirement to purchase said lock from the FFL dealer.

The good news is you learned a lesson so this experience wasn't all bad :)

He's a shyster. I'd drop a dime to the AFT and let them know their business practices. The guy is a clear shark that should be stayed away from. As far as I know, the law startes to must lock the weapon for transport. No law that I'm aware of speaks of any requirement to purchase said lock from the FFL dealer.

The good news is you learned a lesson so this experience wasn't all bad :)
Relax there, tiger. No need to involve the ATF.

Dude, I would have told the FFL to f*ck off and wait 30 seconds while I walked to the car, after telling him the lock was none of his business.

I also would not have paid $55 for a transfer, that is retarded.

The FFL totally f*cked you.

Did you at least pay the transfer with a CC?

But don't call the ATF over this. That advice above is as shitty as the FFL forcing you to buy a lock.

He f***ed you! Print this PDF, march down to the shop, and demand your money back. https://www.mass.gov/doc/approved-firearm-safetylocking-devices-06-15-2020/download

M.G.L. c. 140, § 131K states that all sales of firearms and large capacity weapons in Massachusetts MUST include a safety device approved by the colonel of state police. This requirement applies to any seller including a wholesaler. The seller is not required to install the device so long as the weapon is accompanied by it. Failure to comply with this provision will constitute a breach of warranty and an unfair trade practice. This section does not apply to non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.
Sellers should ensure that the safety device is appropriate for the weapon being sold.

Wasn't my preferred FFL choice but due to it being about halfway between the seller and I it made sense. I actually thought the FFL was just going to comp the lock off the wall.

And I don't think there are many FFL in Stoneham so I'm sure you can all guess who it was.

I hate sharks who prey on good people!
Let's see, you are willing to involve the government for $8.99.

What do you tell them? That the FFL forced you?
The FFL says they didn't forced you, instead they suggested the purchase. Now it is your word against theirs and all this over $8.99.

Now what? You involved the ATF in your life, have fun. Maybe your dog gets shot.

Bad idea all around.

As far as the transfer fee, although it is stupid high, the OP could have done some research and there is no law specifying how much they can charge for a transfer. The OP has been here over a year, he could have asked or read about it, there are several threads / posts about transfer fees.

He f***ed you! Print this PDF, march down to the shop, and demand your money back. https://www.mass.gov/doc/approved-firearm-safetylocking-devices-06-15-2020/download

M.G.L. c. 140, § 131K states that all sales of firearms and large capacity weapons in Massachusetts MUST include a safety device approved by the colonel of state police. This requirement applies to any seller including a wholesaler. The seller is not required to install the device so long as the weapon is accompanied by it. Failure to comply with this provision will constitute a breach of warranty and an unfair trade practice. This section does not apply to non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.
Sellers should ensure that the safety device is appropriate for the weapon being sold.
There was also an opinion issued by some state agency (I don't remember which) that the buyer bringing his/her own lock does not meet this requirement.

The only ethical problem here (aside from the State's actions) is if the dealer failed to disclose the purchase requirement in advance when quoting the transfer fee.

There was also an opinion issued by some state agency (I don't remember which) that the buyer bringing his/her own lock does not meet this requirement.

The only ethical problem here (aside from the State's actions) is if the dealer failed to disclose the purchase requirement in advance when quoting the transfer fee.
Is it the FFLs job, during a transfer (not a sale), to make sure the gun has one of these "MA approved" locks?

But the FFL was not making a sale, just blessing one.

Which begs the question, why was the OP involving an FFL in the situation in the first place?!! I think that’s where it all went horribly wrong!

How about the seller providing it? Not the FFL, but the seller. The FFL clearly can’t throw away the existing lock and the insist the buyer pay for another one.

Back
Top Bottom