FFL required I buy lock for transfer

I bought a handgun at FS a couple years ago, they made me buy a lock. I said can’t I just put the gun in my pocket, they said I had to buy it. I bit my tongue and bought the lock, I wanted to shove it up his arse. Anyways, I’ve never gone back.

I bought a handgun at FS a couple years ago, they made me buy a lock. I said can’t I just put the gun in my pocket, they said I had to buy it. I bit my tongue and bought the lock, I wanted to shove it up his arse. Anyways, I’ve never gone back.

I’ve bought multiple guns there, never once was forced to buy a lock. Your mileage may vary.

All these places do shit differently. I still prefer the mill for all my business these days.

Good story. . .

Stop using ffls to do transfers, unless it's being shipped. Seems obvious...
Lol not sure if serious, in MA burning FTFs is stupid unless you have no options. Plenty of FFLs do transfers no problem...

Totally absent from the narrative:
The fact that 4 out of 4 guns we purchased at FS
came with manufacturer's-supplied locks in the packaging.
No two alike.

(None of which I deigned to snake through the action
(in clear view of Woburn PD) before locking them in the trunk
for the drive home;
but let that go).

72121390.jpg

Any time I’ve bought a gun, I just pay and walk out. Never had anyone give me a hard time over a lock.
I had one shop feed me some BS about not being allowed to conceal carry a handgun out of the shop. He took the cable lock that came with the gun and wrapped it around the plastic case handle. Told me not to open it until I got in my car.

I had one shop feed me some BS about not being allowed to conceal carry a handgun out of the shop. He took the cable lock that came with the gun and wrapped it around the plastic case handle. Told me not to open it until I got in my car.
I hear they do that when you insert a loaded mag and drop the slide in the shop.
[shocked]

The problem with your example is that sales of bicycles are not regulated & restricted in any way even remotely close to the way firearms are regulated & restricted. I can buy a bicycle off of eBay or Amazon or from any one of many other sellers and have it shipped directly to me... no dealer involvement required. Well, not yet anyway! Governor Dimples may want to change that. :oops:

Also remember that not all incoming or local transfers are of brand new guns. Many are used. In fact, I would guess that the majority of them are used guns... and not typically available used from your local neighborhood dealer. :(

For those ordering (i.e., transferring in) brand spanking new guns when that exact same gun is right there sitting in your dealer's shop... well, shame on you. 👎
The regulatory example makes it different, so I'll use another example where trade practices and industry regulation make direct consumer from certain vendors impossible.

Consider going to a used car dealer and saying "I will front the $$ for a used car from Adessa. They won't sell to me directly, so I would like you to take my cash, but a car for me, and charge me a transfer fee rather than a dealer markup". [Ok, so I know a guy...... but that is the exception to the rule]

The regulatory example makes it different, so I'll use another example where trade practices and industry regulation make direct consumer from certain vendors impossible.

Consider going to a used car dealer and saying "I will front the $$ for a used car from Adessa. They won't sell to me directly, so I would like you to take my cash, but a car for me, and charge me a transfer fee rather than a dealer markup". [Ok, so I know a guy...... but that is the exception to the rule]
OK, now try with a carton of cigarettes.

The solution is very simple.

If you HAVE TO go to one of these sh*t dealers, bring the exact amount of the transfer cash.

Do the paperwork.

When they tell you to buy a lock, drop the cash for the transfer on the counter and walk out.

Dealer:
903-9038711_rage-crying-meme.jpg

DONE.

Of course, the easier solution is to tell the seller why you dont do business there and if they want to transfer they will have to assume the extra cost. But this is NES. Come on man.

CG is the fuddiest fudd fcking fudd shop in the world. The only thing I've ever gotten there was the stink-eye.
I have no idea how they manage to pay the electrical bill (probably selling cable locks).
At least at deli-mart they give you a ticket for free.

The solution is very simple.

If you HAVE TO go to one of these sh*t dealers, bring the exact amount of the transfer cash.

Do the paperwork.

When they tell you to buy a lock, drop the cash for the transfer on the counter and walk out.

Dealer:
View attachment 580169

DONE.

Of course, the easier solution is to tell the seller why you dont do business there and if they want to transfer they will have to assume the extra cost. But this is NES. Come on man.
And how do you handle it when the dealer says he will send it back to the the sending FFL upon payment of his handling fee and shipping?

A dealer could just price the lock into the transfer fee and tell the recipient it was free.

And how do you handle it when the dealer says he will send it back to the the sending FFL upon payment of his handling fee and shipping?

A dealer could just price the lock into the transfer fee and tell the recipient it was free.
Unless the dealer keeps the gun behind the counter the entire time, this won't happen.

I have never done a transfer where the gun wasn't laying within reach on the counter. But I also dont go to sh*t dealers.

I can only think of one case, when I transferred a trench gun, we couldn't find the damn serial number, so the dealer took it to a room next to his computer to have a betted look at it, then lay it next to his chair while doing whatever he was doing for a few minutes, but then brought it back to the counter.

The last FFL transfer I did, the lock was no charge.
This is how it should be. Obviously as Rob Boudrie has reminded everyone, dealers are required to sell guns with trigger locks - they don’t want the state coming down on them any harder than they are lol. They’re so shitty and plentiful though that you think they would just include them for free. But to have a wall of trigger locks for sale is silly IMO.

Was immediately removing the lock in the car, and walking back in and returning it outside the realm of possibility?
I think the concept is they want the $8.99

They do a scheme like that at Co-part

Unless the dealer keeps the gun behind the counter the entire time, this won't happen.

I have never done a transfer where the gun wasn't laying within reach on the counter. But I also dont go to sh*t dealers.

I can only think of one case, when I transferred a trench gun, we couldn't find the damn serial number, so the dealer took it to a room next to his computer to have a betted look at it, then lay it next to his chair while doing whatever he was doing for a few minutes, but then brought it back to the counter.
This is not a stunt i would try pulling.

People need to stop using shitty dealers who aren't honest about what they charge. (this is obvious case) There are tons of dealers who will throw free locks at people (if needed. ) there are also a ton who simply don't give a shit (and honestly, most new-ish guns have a lock in the box regardless)

Back
Top Bottom