• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fat Guy Friendly IWB Holsters

I know I'm not the only big guy on the forums, so I figured I would start this thread and hope its not a dupe :) I don't quite suffer from the Muffin Top Syndrome, but fat guys are lumpy, there's no way around it hahah.

At 5'10" 310 lbs (yeah I know, I'm working on that :) ) finding a comfortable holster for IWB carry can prove to be a bit of a challenge. At the moment I have only have 2 firearms suitable for CC, a Glock 17, and a Glock 26. I've tried a couple different holsters, but not many, as I'm trying to prevent the inevitable box of holsters under the bench haha.

I've tried an uncle mikes with the glock 17, which is essentially a piece of cloth with a clip on it, and man did I hate it, but I dealt with it, as it gave me the ability to conceal carry. I then bought a comptac minotaur. It was ok, but in the summer without an under shirt it got to be super uncomfortable, especially when driving or sitting down in general. I ended up selling it to a co worker, and then when I picked up my glock 26 I ended up buying it back from the guy because he never used it. So I've been carrying the 26 in the comptac for a few weeks, well, maybe only 5 days or so, as I'm OC'ing my glock 17 for work 5 days a week. But I was still reminded of the same problems I had originally. Sure I could wear an undershirt and it would probably help, but in the summer I sweat like a slut in church, so that's a no go.

I plan on keeping the comptac for winter carry of my glock 17, when wearing an undershirt won't be an issue for me. But no I'm back on the search for a new summer bolster. For either just the 26, or maybe for the 17 as well. I'm really wanting to order up a N82 tactical for my 26 to try it out as I've heard great things about it, but I'm also hoping that my fellow fluffy guys will chime in as well. Maybe include pics of your carry setup as well :). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try the cross-breed, the leather is a lot more comfortable but keep in mind your sweat will soak into the leather, being a glock that shouldn't be a problem for the finish, let it dry at night and you should be fine.

As a fellow fatty, I can tell you the Comp Tac is about the best I've found. I carry an M&P 9c with it. I completely agree that with no undershirt its uncomfortable. For that reason, I've switched to a pocket pistol for the summer and have been very happy with it. I also have a Remora holster with a sweat sheild that works pretty well. It doesn't feel as secure (though it is) but it puts a little less pressure against my skin.

You can also try different t-shirts. Tank top style shirt won't be as restrictive but will protect your skin. You could also look for wicking fabric type shirts that generally keep you fairly cool.

Last try is an OWB holster with a sweat guard/shield. They won't hold as tight to your skin but you'll still get irritation from sitting in a chair with a back.

Galco Pocket Protector Sig P238 for pocket carry
Galco Tuck-n-go for P238 IWB at 5 o'clock when I need the pea shooter but can carry IWB
Tattoo72 (www.g3holsters.com) for my 3" S&W Pro 1911 again at 5 o'clock whenever the clothes allow
Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for Glock 19 when I want a change, did I mention 5 o'clock?

Key was to keep it back at 5 o'clock as being overweight results in certain discomforts if moved further around front that I am sure being fit would not be an issue for.

Completely comfortable in all activities including sitting, driving, working in yard, etc. The only place any are uncomfortable is stiff backed metal chair with spindles for it to get caught between or clang into.

For the G19 and S&W I usually where two shirts for added comfort. For the P238 IWB it is when I am only wearing a single shirt (loose) or am tucking in a shirt and am IWB and not pocket

I'm not sure how much help I'll be 6'1" (350) and although it's my first holster, I just got a G3 Holster from one of the members on here. It's most like the comptac minotaur. I haven't started carrying yet but will be carrying an m&p 40(full size)

Its an IWB and while I've had it on(around the house and random errands) I haven't noticed it or any disconfort

I'm not a fat guy, but I have recently begun wearing a wife-beater under my shirts for this very reason. I don't like the feel of my gun against my bare skin, and I don't like wearing an undershirt during the summer.

I have found that a wife-beater (otherwise known as an 'A'-shirt by the good people at Target) is perfectly comfortable under everything. When I am not at work, I am wearing cargo shorts with a belt, a wife-beater (tucked in), and usually a sleeveless muscle shirt untucked. I carry an LC9 in a Blackhawk IWB at 1:00, and I hardly know it's there.

I'm not fat, just big boned.... Anyway, I too tried for years and finaly decided that stuffing anything ells into my waist band just wasn't working. I have swithched to a Desantis speed scaboard. it's an owb but the gun rides very high (most of the gun above the belt line) It's very comforatble to wear and easy to conceal. I bought the same holster for several of my carry guns

I'm not a fat guy, but I have recently begun wearing a wife-beater under my shirts for this very reason. I don't like the feel of my gun against my bare skin, and I don't like wearing an undershirt during the summer.

I have found that a wife-beater (otherwise known as an 'A'-shirt by the good people at Target) is perfectly comfortable under everything. When I am not at work, I am wearing cargo shorts with a belt, a wife-beater (tucked in), and usually a sleeveless muscle shirt untucked. I carry an LC9 in a Blackhawk IWB at 1:00, and I hardly know it's there.
+1 to the undershirt, (and oh yeah, from a fatty!)

I too am a BBM (Big Beautiful Man) and recently ordered a Corssbreed Supertuck. Everything I've read said they're better for a us "more to love" guys.

On another unrelated note, I started the paleo diet 3 months ago and have dropped 30 pounds as of this morning. I have much more to lose but I can't recommend it highly enough.

6'0" 280. I carry an SR9c in a supertitles at 4 o'clock. The only reason its uncomfortable is because I forget it's there and half to put my hand on it to make sure it's still there.

+1 for the crossbreed super tuck! However I have been playing with kydex for the better part of 2 months and I am getting pritty good I am worki g on a few concept designs for things like heavy guys, really skinny guys, women ect.. Actually thinking once I get some good designs it may be a side job but that's a ways down the road I am a perfectionist with things I make (obviusly not my typeing) so I feel I am still a way off before I am ready to sell anything but send me a pm with if you could build one what you would want give me some time and I will send you a prototype just for feed back it may suck fair warning lol

6'1 310 pounds here, I like the super tuck when I'm wearing a jacket or coat but I print too much when wearing just a t-shirt. So for the warmer months I pocket carry either my Sig 238 or my S&W 637 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses guys, keep em coming!

I may pick up some 'a' shirts and give it a try. Maybe it's an excuse to buy a new gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

view;_ylt=A0PDoX2L1xFQkB8AZzOJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n

I use a Tagua leather holster. It picked it up for short money on e-bay. I can't even tell I am carrying sometimes. http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/ I'm 6'4 320 [popcorn]

I'm a little pudgy myself, 5'8" and 250lb. I carry a Glock 19/17 in an Old Faithful holster. I forget it's there most of the time. It took me forever to find a holster that was comfortable to me.

I just got my Crossbread Supertuck in today for my Glock 30. I'll let you know how it goes, if it's anything like the reviews I have seen here it should work well. I am 5'11 and 303 (down 40 pounds so far, and going, for the anti fatties)

You could check out White Hat Holsters. I have a IWB Horsehide for my M&P 9C and I love it... They seem to list them for your Glocks too. I have no ties to this vendor, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.whitehatholsters.com/MaxTuck-IWB-Hybrid-Holster-Natural-Horsehide-p/natural-tan-horse.htm

HORSEHIDE:
The Horsehide leather backing is smoother, like linen paper. A very light texture helps keep it from shifting which is good for daily/constant carry. You can carry the horsehide for much longer periods of time without concerning yourself about the moisture coming through and resting on your gun. Because the grain of horsehide is much tighter, it is much better at naturally resisting moisture from your body. So if you are prone to sweat more, and/or you live a climate where you will be exposed to heat and humidity regularly, this option would be best for you.

Just trying to help.

Seeing a lot of folks suggesting the Crossbreed Supertuck...

The G3Holster I got from G3Holsters.com looks to be pretty similar. Check it out! I had mine 2 days after I ordered!

Small update. I decided to wear the minotaur a bit at work today, instead of my blackhawk serpa on my duty belt. Because I have to open carry for work, I got to try how it would feel with an undershirt, well, technically two, my undershirt, and then my button up work shirt. I will say other than the fact that I still need to pick up a better belt,it is a TON more comfortable with an undershirt! Especially with the G17, which I'm carrying now.

I personally use a KHolster. It is a crossbreed type holster that is a little less expensive. I an 6'1 and 250 and it works for me. It is a bit warm in summer but I got used to it.

Also good to know that I am in good fat guy company.

No matter how you slice it, IWB carry sucks. 6'1" - 265. I have Super Tucks for most of my guns and a couple of Comp-Tac as well. I would have to say that the most comfortable IWB is a 1911 because it is thin. But everybody is different. Some will say that the 5" barrel is to long. It all depends on where you carry your spare tire.

I think the best decision I ever made was to pick up a Kahr PM9. I got mine last year at Acme Armament. I can drop it into my front right pocket and a spare mag in my back left pocket, and I forget it is there. It is also undetectable without a pat down.

I prefer to carry bigger guns and do, when weather and wardrobe permit, but the Kahr lets me comfortably carry 14 rounds of 9mm regardless of the weather. It is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot.

I drove myself crazy trying to figure out the right gun with the right holster. Hundreds later I wish I had bought the Kahr earlier. YMMV

I refuse to " out " myself........but my crossbreed is still the best one I have. Winter or summer, t shirt or not, you just cant beat it. And that's for a full size gun ( G22).
I have the catc also. Its pretty good, but not nearly as good.

Back
Top Bottom