Family problems with guns

I'm an Afghanistan Veteran. Just recently got out of the Marine Corps. One of the first things I did when I got home was get my LTC. I carry almost everywhere I can..except for schools and other restricted areas that victimize you.

So I live at home right now. My parents are okay with it, but I have several siblings (all females) who are NOT okay with guns at all. They have children who are often over and they want nothing to do with guns at all. I've tried educating them on weapon safety and other gun knowledge, but nothing is getting through to them.

I refuse to give in to their requests that I do not carry. I will NOT leave myself defenseless simply because they are uncomfortable with guns. I try to unerstand where they are coming from, but it seems like I can not get through to them no matter what I try to do

It's getting to the point where I might be homeless (kicked out) and without a job. I know it sounds horrible, but I am very okay with cutting off all communication with people like that who do not accept me for who I am even if it means family.

Any suggestions?

Why would you be kicked out if your parents are OK with it? Also, concealed is concealed - who is making a big deal about it. Your sisters shouldn't have even had to know if you knew that they weren't comfortable with guns.

Why would you be kicked out if your parents are OK with it? Also, concealed is concealed - who is making a big deal about it. Your sisters shouldn't have even had to know if you knew that they weren't comfortable with guns.

One of my sisters lives at home, who is probaly the most uncomforable with guns. Which will either cause me to move out or they'll have to kick me out

I carry concealed with I'm out, of course..but if I'm at home I'm not going to wear a jacket or something baggy. That's a bit ridiculous to hide something in "my" own home

as long as you live under someone elses roof its there way or the highway. respect your parents wishes no matter what they are or move out. my advice would be lock up you firearm, find a job and move out.

Try taking them to the range? Only bring a .22 though for them to shoot, that is extremely important.

does she trust cops with guns? security people? armed forces? all these people she never met? but not you?

would she call someone with a gun to help her if she were being attacked? so why not you? you're closer and more trustworthy to her (or should be!)

I assume you already tried all that but you never know

pretty intolerant of her to a family member in my opinion

Just keep your gun out of their sight at all times. If they ask about it, tell them that you got rid of it for their sake. Jack.

^^this

think of your siblings as a good opportunity to sharpen your concealment skills. out of sight -> out of mind.

I would just be like I don't want to talk about this shit with you anymore, leave me the **** alone. Then I'd continue to carry, keep it concealed, and locked in a safe when not on your person. The type of antis who just plug their ears and stomp their feet can't be "fixed". They'll probably never come around. **** 'em. Don't let them brow beat you with their stupidity into giving up your rights.

Thank you for your service. Sorry you've come home to a more hostile environment. ;-)

One of my sisters lives at home, who is probaly the most uncomforable with guns. Which will either cause me to move out or they'll have to kick me out

I carry concealed with I'm out, of course..but if I'm at home I'm not going to wear a jacket or something baggy. That's a bit ridiculous to hide something in "my" own home
I'd accede by wearing a baggy shirt at home, it is winter anyway you know.

does she trust cops with guns? security people? armed forces? all these people she never met? but not you?

would she call someone with a gun to help her if she were being attacked? so why not you? you're closer and more trustworthy to her (or should be!)

I assume you already tried all that but you never know

pretty intolerant of her to a family member in my opinion

best reply yet. Just for grins, ask her "What if I was a cop? Would that make it any different?" if yes ask her what the difference is. She remembers and thinks of you in diapers, you know.

Id come down to breakfast strapped with at least 2 handguns a shotgun and an AR and just ask ""we need to jave a family meeting abiut thia whole gun hating thing"... seriously though like the others said, concealed is concealed...small and hidden

Sent from the blind

Oh, and for God's Sake, keep every single thing locked up tight at every moment, not a round of .22 lying anywhere, not a casing not even a holster.

With kids in the house giving someone ammo (pardon the pun) to use against you to get your guns taken away... One day you'll have an argument and the cops will get called and ....

I suppose getting a job and getting a roommate and GingTFO may be your best plan of action.

The kep point here is who owns the home? If your parents are the owners then who gives a flying shit what your sister thinks. IMO.....just don't carry around the house and keep it locked up.......in order to get along with sis.......but Bring the heater when you go out and don't worry about it.

does she trust cops with guns? security people? armed forces? all these people she never met? but not you?.. would she call someone with a gun to help her if she were being attacked? so why not you? you're closer and more trustworthy to her (or should be!).. I assume you already tried all that but you never know.. pretty intolerant of her to a family member in my opinion

Of course they trust everyone else with guns. Only cops and military etc. should have guns.
Us? We should "just call 911" and a hero magically will appear - in the three to seven SECONDS you have, on average, to save your life when it's threatened...

Just get rid of the damned guns and call 911 like your family would, you silly soldier....
;)

Maybe just don't carry in the house? Seems like a small concession for peace.

Last edited:
.but if I'm at home I'm not going to wear a jacket or something baggy. That's a bit ridiculous to hide something in "my" own home

Doesn't sound like it is your house.

Put the gun back in the safe when you are home unless your neighborhood is really that bad.

I was carrying in my house a few weeks ago when there were bears in the neighborhood, but then again I own my house and no one really can tell me what to do except for the wife :)

Chris

Welcome home Marine.

Sorry I don't really have any great advice besides like others have said; keep everything out of sight, out of mind while you're still living there.

When I visit my sister's house, I unload and lock up my pistol in the car. Her and her husband are the only ones in my family who really care at all about firearms, and they have two young kids. Years ago when my father was still in law enforcement he accidentally left his service pistol on top of their fridge one holiday, forgot about it, and left. My sis called him several hours later and said "Uh, Dad, you left your gun on my fridge." I gave him a good amount of shit for that one. [laugh]

as long as you live under someone elses roof its there way or the highway. respect your parents wishes no matter what they are or move out. my advice would be lock up you firearm, find a job and move out.

+1

Try taking them to the range? Only bring a .22 though for them to shoot, that is extremely important.

Sit her down and explain that you have the knowledge and experience to safely handle the responsibility and that if she is willing to be open-minded about it, you would like to show her the basics in order to help her fears. Then let her know in no uncertain terms that if she continues that her actions will be the cause of you being forced to leave home - Drop it in her lap as she is probably the one who is pulling the "if you cared you would do this for me" insanity.

That's a bit ridiculous to hide something in "my" own home

It's not YOUR home..

If your parents, are on the fence or are just "ok" with it, and your sister is anti and has kids in the home, then you will loose.
She will just make enough "It's for MY CHILDREN" noise that your parents will give in, to her.

I would suggest getting a safe, put it in a non kid or sister accessible spot, not carry in the house and never talk about it again. Out of sight out of mind. get a job and get your own place asap.

The flip side of this is the sister "feels threatened" there are kids in the house and before you know it, the PD is at the door and you have become "unsuitable".

Thanks for all the answers.

If it's not on my person, it is always locked up.

My family is a big tight knit family..I would hate to not be able to see my nieces and nephews (all are under 3 years old) because of this. I'm really trying to keep calm through all this and do things the right way without just going off…but it's hard when I'm continuosly bashed for wanting to protect myself. You would think they would trust a family member who is very knowledgable on firearms and ammunition.

my wife is pro 2A, and would probably still be skeeved out if I decided to start carrying around the house. Unless you're really in a neighborhood where your family's life is in some sort of legitimate danger within the home, I'd put the thing in a safe place when entering the home in order to keep the peace.

Carry a .22 mag Derringer in your sock. No need to go big, you went home.

Winner of the internetz!!!!

OP, you're too close to them to change their minds. You need to find a gun girl who can relate to them and put things in terms they'll understand, and then maybe they'll come around.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom