Family problems with guns

Your main "job" right now is to find a job, go to college, and by doing either one of those - find your own place.

In order to do that you will have to rely on your parents to let you stay in the house until you can accomplish that.

If I were you I would buy a quick access safe and store the gun inside it at a friends house.

If you DO want to go to college- the next semester starts in January.

Lots of stores are hiring now for Christmas, too.

Just do all you can to keep you room in the house until you get other things going and get your own place.

I'm very pro gun rights but it would probably make me nervous if someone was carrying in the house with my two kids. And my kids aren't even old enough to know what a gun is, or strong enough to pull a trigger. Now if it were my brother, who's in the Army, I'd be fine with it, so I guess it depends on your relationship with your relatives.

it is hard to be rational when it is your kids. Stairs make me nervous (I installed the gates myself).

Can you just keep them out of sight when they're around, or that's not enough for them? We keep our condoms out of sight. :)

You're very pro-gun rights as long as they are your guns and your rights? How many other gun owners have you met? Are they that different than you and your brother that you think they would endanger your children. I get the irrational cautiouness I guess but a legal gun owner carrying a firearm is probably the least of your worries.

Maybe it is not really about the firearms, maybe the firearms are a means to an end. She may have been getting all of the attention, while you were deployed, now she isn't. Sit down with her and discuss it with her. Talk to your parents about it, see where they are at, with the firearms.

It's getting to the point where I might be homeless (kicked out) and without a job. I know it sounds horrible, but I am very okay with cutting off all communication with people like that who do not accept me for who I am even if it means family.

If you continue to think like this you will eventually find yourself in a dark place.

Feeling defenseless without a gun..¿
I'm all for the right to carry but the constant need in your parents home with family. ... Unless you live in a high crime neighborhood. . The hood. You can't put it away?
How about a 357 snub in an ankle holster ... just tell them you understand their concern and keep the family intact .

You should honor the wishes of your parents in their home. Imo.

Thank you for serving your country.

If you continue to think like this you will eventually find yourself in a dark place.

Or he could find himself surrounded by people in life who respect another individuals choice on how they live their lives. I have a few in my family that object to guns being in their presence but they don't push their irrational fears on me when I carry around them. One hates guns and the other simply has an aversion to them, I don't tell them how to live their lives and they don't tell me how to live mine.

does she have sex with adults she isnt married to? does she drink alcohol, caffeine or smoke anything? does any of her behavior "offend" you? Maybe you should tell her she needs to stop those behaviors? Is she a bible thumping religious nut job? tell her she needs to stop spewing her 'beliefs' in front of you. If she's an anarchist atheist tell her to STFU. Understand where I'm going with this? Does she drive over the speed limit? Maybe she shouldn't be allowed to have children in the car with her?

Firstly, thank you for your service.

Try not to make it a "me vs. my family" issue. You are not a gun or a backpack. What you carry does not make you YOU. If your sisters have an irrational fear or distatste of firearms, try not to take that personally. They are not rejecting you but what it is they believe firearms represent.

Open carrying, even in your home, might be too much for them. It doesn't make you a lesser person by concealing when you are around them nor does it mean you are changing to be accepted by them. As a Marine you know that improvising and adapting are the prereqs to overcome. Rise to the challenge, honor your family's sensitivities (no matter how foolish) and keep your family strong. God, Country, Corps, Family, Self. Semper Fi, brother!

If your parents allow you to have your guns in their home, tell your sister to stay away from your guns..... simple enough. Hey maybe if she puts up enough stink your parents will show her the door.

Get job, enroll in local community college, use the BAH part of the Post-9/11 GI Bill to pay for an apartment rental, the tuition part to pay for the tuition, the job to pay for food and bills and to save as much as you can while you live where you can live as you please, as the grown up you are, and earn a degree at the same time. Use the spare time to start planning for a better job when the GI Bill funds dry up, and translating every school, training, and certification from military to English. E-5 BAH should cover a small apartment, though. Your joint services transcript might have enough credit recommendations to eliminate the need to take any BS electives, too.

YMMV. I'm just thinking about what I'd do given similar circumstances and parroting some of the advice people have been giving me for retirement in 5 years.

Fine advice above. +1 and seconded.

No need for an apartment though - look for a roommate situation, save money for other things.

If the issue is not resolved in the open, expect you sister to go snooping in your room.

Tell your sisters your gun is better behaved than their kids.

Seriously though, what are you carrying and how do you carry it? If you feel you really need to carry around the house most guns conceal just fine IWB and under a t-shirt. Do you usually hang around the house shirtless? If so, try a Smart Carry holster. I’ve carried shirtless at the beach and no one was the wiser.

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE[cheers]

This...absolutey thanx!!!

As for your dilemma....Start thinking about getting your own place and in the mean time, out of site...out of mind.

I came back from living in Jamaica a few years ago to live with my 92 year old mom to help take care of her. She is a huge liberal and anti gun and would never have a gun in her house. Well sometime you just have to do what you know is best for your family which is being able to protect them. So....what she doesn't know want upset her and in the event we have home invasion situation and one of my guns makes an appearance and saves our lives...I think at that point she will be so happy to be alive the gun itself will be a mute point.

I'm a bit torn. Your parents are ok with your gun ownership, and it's your home. However, your sisters are not, and it is also their home. I absolutely agree that you should carry. But if it's causing problems with your family, it might be time to move out.

Well sometime you just have to do what you know is best for your family which is being able to protect them.
That's some scary shit right there. You know who you sound like?

I'm a bit torn. Your parents are ok with your gun ownership, and it's your home. However, your sisters are not, and it is also their home. I absolutely agree that you should carry. But if it's causing problems with your family, it might be time to move out.

That's some scary shit right there. You know who you sound like?

Scary shit huh. With this type of thing I say screw the politically correct crap. I'd rather my family be protected and they will sleep just fine at night in bliss. And about the time a few bust down your door in the middle of the night the OP parents are going to get down on their knees thanking him for saving every ones life. and I'm sure his sister will be thinking about how she had probably just been spared a brutal rape. Yeah...that shit does happen and anyone that thinks it cant happen to them (like anti-gun liberals) is kidding themselves.

Do it right and the first time his family will get wind of his gun will be when he uses it to save their lives so I don't thing it will be much of an issue at that point. Anyone with half a brain at that point will have no more objections to a gun in the house.

Last edited:
You're very pro-gun rights as long as they are your guns and your rights? How many other gun owners have you met? Are they that different than you and your brother that you think they would endanger your children. I get the irrational cautiouness I guess but a legal gun owner carrying a firearm is probably the least of your worries.

The difference between a liberal and a conservative is the conservative might be nervous about your gun, but only the liberal wants to pass laws to take your gun away.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? What? You do of course realize that your kids would be about 1000 times more likely to get hurt with one of your kitchen knives, a light socket or your bath tub, right?

That stuff makes me nervous too. My wife leaves my 1 year old in the bath tub and goes vacuuming, drives me crazy.

Point is, trying to reason with people about something that makes them worry about their kids is often a waste of time.

The difference between a liberal and a conservative is the conservative might be nervous about your gun, but only the liberal wants to pass laws to take your gun away.

- - - Updated - - -

That stuff makes me nervous too. My wife leaves my 1 year old in the bath tub and goes vacuuming, drives me crazy.

Dude, you gotta stop that. One of the leading causes of death of small children is drowning - it doesn't take that much water to do it.

klokos,

What part of the state are you in?

We're hiring snowmakers soon and may be able to get you a housing situation with the job.

It's a night shift (due to temperature) and schedule is weather dependent.

If my parents came around so will yours lol. They were not OK with it but they dealt with it the few months between getting home from Afghanistan and moving back out to school, and I had a 26 gun safe I lugged into my room.

The idea that you can win everyone over is false. I'm surprised your siblings have an issue with it, both mine (still being young and impressionable) enjoy shooting/like guns and have no problem with them. Both are definitely not bleeding hearts like my parents either.

As far as the homeless thing goes... Use your GI bill, get a degree and have a roof over your head/food for the next 4 years. I can't tell you how pissed it makes me when I hear vets whining about how they don't want to go to college (not saying you are). If you have a great job, fine. But a lot of these dudes are making 11 bucks an hour and have full education benefits they will lose in 10-15 years if they don't use them. If you go to school in the Boston area on top of school coverage you are raking in close to 3K a month for a living stipend. You are literally throwing away 100s of thousands of dollars in education benefits if you don't use it, let alone lost wages over a lifetime which could range from nothing (unlikely) to millions (more likely).

Mike

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Point is, trying to reason with people about something that makes them worry about their kids is often a waste of time.

Why does it make you so nervous when someone carries around children? I'm just perplexed on why you feel nervous.

Back
Top Bottom