Evil Gun

mbz4ever

Dealer
NES Member
Would you guys pay high $$$ for this “evil” FN five-Seven if its available in “our guns friendly state” Massachusetts?
What is this all about with these 5.7x28 rounds? so expensive and hard to get. Is it worth the money? This ammo not military specks, yes FN five-Seven is high capacity 20/30 rounds. So what UZI pistol is 30 + rounds too.

I might buy one if I could get it (and hi-caps) fairly cheaply. I wouldn't rely on it under any circumstances for any reason, but I can't deny that it wouldn't be my first expensive toy.

I only buy guns that sneak out of my house at night and kill babies and kittens all on their own. Pass.

No. It's a glorified .22 Magnum.

EC, you've said that before when I said it might make a good police pistol.

It may be the size of a .22 Magnum, but look at the damage this fool did with one at Ft Hood. Seemed pretty effective in that application. [thinking]

Yeah, I prefer my pocket guns, but I can see why someone might want one of these pistols...... if they have reason to put out a lot of small, fast rounds.

It may be the size of a .22 Magnum, but look at the damage this fool did with one at Ft Hood. Seemed pretty effective in that application. [thinking]

Yeah, I prefer my pocket guns, but I can see why someone might want one of these pistols...... if they have reason to put out a lot of small, fast rounds.

The ballistics of the 5.7 and the .22 Magnum are virtually identical (look it up). You can shoot unarmed people with anything. I'm just glad 'that fool' didn't have a .45.

ETA: I looked it up for you:

CCI .22 WMR Maxi-Mag 30gr JHP
Muzzle Velocity: 2200 fps
Muzzle Energy: 322 ft/lbs

FN SS195LF 5.7x28mm28.5 Gr
Muzzle Velocity: 2133 fps
Muzzle Energy: 288 ft/lbs

Last edited:
Sure sounds the same to me. Makes all the dead and wounded even more astounding. One part of me doesn't want to know, but the other side wonders.... how many shots per victim? How often did that little bullet stop a person with one shot? I don't mean to intrude on the reverence this event deserves. I just find it amazing that he did so much damage with a small caliber weapon.

Thanks for the spec EC

Sure sounds the same to me. Makes all the dead and wounded even more astounding. One part of me doesn't want to know, but the other side wonders.... how many shots per victim? How often did that little bullet stop a person with one shot? I don't mean to intrude on the reverence this event deserves. I just find it amazing that he did so much damage with a small caliber weapon.

Thanks for the spec EC

How does this affect people's concept of a carry gun? Sure opens up some options then, eh?

Not sure if this guy is FOS or not but he seemed to like the the 5.7x28 quite a bit (granted he fired it from a P90.)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161472 (Post #12)
When I was active, I never had much to do with the M16A4 or the M4A1, mainly because of my duties as the gunner on an M1 MBT. I had a P90 that I picked up off a dead insurgent in March of '04. Great weapon and in excellent condition, but a bit of an oddity for a raghead to have. I knew that the Saudis had P90s, so I guessed that he either stole it or was AWOL or something like that. It looked like he had taken pretty good care of it, he was wearing a rucksack containing his cleaning gear and 13 loaded magazines which I helped myself to. I had the chance to use it in action a couple of times - on full auto it just tears into people (ever watched Stargate on the SciFi channel? Except on ragheads and not wierd alien guys with snakes inside of them). During a 5-8 round burst, all I'd see was a mix of sandy dust and "pink mist" come off of his torso, next thing he was just lying in the dirt looking like something had ripped a piece off of him. First time with the '90 I just threw up right there because it looked so damn awful I felt sick, almost made me want to throw it away or turn it in or something, but it saved my ass and I guess I'm kinda glad I held on to it 'till the end. I just felt a bit safer with it, inside and outside of my tank.

i dont know about real world ballistics (and who really pays attention to that stuff anyway) but the FiveseveN is pretty effective in Metal Gear Solid 4. Better than the SA Operator, based on my extensive tests in the Virtual Range.

/Sarcasm [smile]

Definitely not good money. I am not particularly interested in it as a toy because is so darn ugly, and because it doesn't come with any history/action type novelty, etc.

I do not see the point of this pistol for any practical purposes. Its much too big to carry concealed (although it is very light) - its larger in all dimensions than even a large framed Glock. For home defense, it might be nice if it the SS190 was available to the general public, but since the current selection of ammo emasculates the gun, I don't see any benefit in lethality over a 10MM or .45. Sure the round tumbles and all that, but its not enough to guarantee a kill, it failed to do that 74.5% of the time at Fort Hood. Moreover, there are complaints that even the 5.56, which also tumbles, and packs a lot more power, doesn't do that. If I am not mistaken, that's part of the reason for the 6.5mm, 6.8mm, and .50 Beowolfe rounds. Existing rounds 10MM/.45/357mag or sig all generate more energy, make a bigger entrance hole, have equal or better penetration (I believe). And while they may not tumble as aggressively, the hollowpoint option will allow for ample internal damage.

Ammo capacity is a bit overrated beyond 10 - 15, imo. Sure 30/31 rounds would be nice, but I figure if the 21 I can put into my G20 aren't enough, I'm screwed anyway.

And the final nail in the coffin for me is the fact that I've read a couple of threads questioning its reliability, including one with a first hand account detailing a catastrophic failure (Kaboom) which caused significant injury to the shooter. I'll stay away from that. BTW, while I understand that you can't believe everything everyone posts, this post was very detailed, offered photographic documentation, and other threads mentioned the possibility of the 5-7 firing out of battery - which if I am not mistaken lends credence to that account of the accident.

And yet, it sure is an ugly gun.

Would you guys pay high $$$ for this “evil” FN five-Seven if its available in “our guns friendly state” Massachusetts?
What is this all about with these 5.7x28 rounds? so expensive and hard to get. Is it worth the money? This ammo not military specks, yes FN five-Seven is high capacity 20/30 rounds. So what UZI pistol is 30 + rounds too.

I wouldn't give you $5 for one. Even then after paying $4.80 I'd turn around and sell it immediately without firing a shot.

-Mike

When I think of that incident the first thing that came to mind was how many more people he would have likely killed with a handgun chambered in a typical
caliber.

-Mike

+1. 1st off milsurps are just fun to collect. And the 7.62x25 round is one hot little bastard. For a handgun caliber, you get some serious penetration.
(ooh I'm getting all hot and bothered now. [wink])

Yep. Heck, you can get a Glock 17 or Beretta 92FS with 17+ round mags (17 is the new normal for the 92/90-TWO, and there are some high-quality flush-fit 18-rounders out there). (Not to mention you can at least find some prebans over 10 rounds for those two.)

18 rounds of 9mm+P+ hollowpoints or 20 of 5.7 "sporting" rounds? Is that actually even a choice?

uh, yeah...

Not sure if this guy is FOS or not but he seemed to like the the 5.7x28 quite a bit (granted he fired it from a P90.)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161472 (Post #12)

I'd say that guy is very FOS. They'd have his ass for using unauthorized weapons in combat. Someone in charge of him would most likely notice a P90, and I'd very much like to know why he would be outside the hatch with enemy that close instead of relying on the coax and main gun. Makes no sense. Probably just some idiot private who sat around eating ice cream and fixing tanks in Kuwait.

EC, those numbers look like 22Mag from a rifle. 22Mag from a handgun tends to be much less.

This has 40grain JHP from a 6.5" barrel at 1400fps and 174 ft-lb energy:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

From a 4" revolver, multiple loads, nothing above 1400fps:
http://www.naaminis.com/mmmagvel.html

If the FN is making over 2000fps out of a pistol barrel, then it is hotter than 22Mag out of a similar barrel length.

Nope. It's a piece of plastic crap. If I want to carry a full-size pistol, I'll carry a 1911. Or even a Glock. Sure, the Five-Sevens all sold out after Ft Hood, but I can't say that I'm really impressed with it. But I'll sell your FFL all the Five-Sevens that he wants...

IF this account is true, don't forget he was using a full auto arm, and probably NOT using the ammo we're restricted to here in the States. Not in any way comparable.

Its much too big to carry concealed (although it is very light) - its larger in all dimensions than even a large framed Glock. For home defense, it might be nice if it the SS190 was available to the general public, but since the current selection of ammo emasculates the gun, I don't see any benefit in lethality over a 10MM or .45.[snip]

And yet, it sure is an ugly gun.
Correct on THREE counts!

Last edited:
With a .22 Magnum, you can at least get hollowpoints... and practice for a lot cheaper. The only 5.7 ammo you can get, legally, is pointy "ball" ammo.

Does the SS195LF somehow not qualify as a hollowpoint (even though it has a hollow point)?

DSC05170.jpg

Back
Top Bottom