EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

LoginName said:
What constitutes notifying the local CLEO? Phone call, face to face , email, written letter, registered mail?

Myself, I'd want to at least back it up with some hard documentation (especially in this state, and especially in the more gun unfriendly communities like Brookline, Quincy, etc).

As others pointed out . . .

Just Mail (1st class) or drop off at PD. NO letters, no registered mail, etc.

The local chief does NOT get to "approve" your application, it's just a courtesy FYI required by Fed law.

Most circular file it or bury it in a file cabinet somewhere. My chief told me he doesn't even look at them, just gives them to the secretary for filing. And he hates guns and is known to be a PITA to applicants for LTCs.

When I did mine, they gave me two copies. I just filled both out, and left the credit card info off the one I mailed to the Police Chief.

I also sent in a letter for the Police Chief that I was submitting this to him, and that he did not need to do anything further on his part, just that I was fulfilling my obligation.

Never heard from them... nothing... Got my C&R from the feds, and now... well.. I've yet to use it, but soon. :)

Yeah, I just dropped mine off at the front desk of the PD in a large envelope. I watched the gentleman manning the front desk put it in the chief’s inbox. Simple. Plus the girlfriend was in talking to the chief earlier, so he got a heads up.

I have a question. Can you buy C&Rs directly from people, or does it have to be from another FFL?

I have an old Browning 1922, my grandfather took off a German Officer. My Uncle is holding on to it. Can I just have him ship it to me?

DevX said:
I have a question. Can you buy C&Rs directly from people, or does it have to be from another FFL?

I have an old Browning 1922, my grandfather took off a German Officer. My Uncle is holding on to it. Can I just have him ship it to me?
Sure can. When you get it, enter it your "bound book" and file an FA10.

DevX said:
Yeah, I just dropped mine off at the front desk of the PD in a large envelope. I watched the gentleman manning the front desk put it in the chief’s inbox. Simple. Plus the girlfriend was in talking to the chief earlier, so he got a heads up.

Yes, you can buy from people. You need to give them a copy of your C&R FFL and you need ID from them to put info in your Bound Book. Yes it can be shipped direct to you from anywhere in the US.

Read the book when the BATFE sends it to you on the rules, ID info, putting entries in Bound Book (which you will have to buy or create yourself/copy from others).

Watch out for the fine print

Lynne said:
If you've got a valid C&R and the firearm qualifies to be purchased on the C&R, then you're good to go. The C&R is a federal license to purchase. All the AG can do is try his best to keep you from purchasing ammo on line. You may have problems, however, with the companies shipping to MA...that would be the only fly in the ointment.

Just to confirm what Lynne said about our "wonderful" AG. Here is a typical NOTE found on a lot of otherwise great C&R websites. So even though we (as C&R FFLs) can legally purchase C&R firearms from out-of-state sellers, our AG has scared them into just not doing it at all.

For example from Aimsurplus----(an otherwise good place to find guns)
"-MASSACHUSETTS CUSTOMERS: 01 FFL Dealers may purchase handguns that are on the MA approved for sale list, rifles without high capacity magazines. No C&R firearms sales. No high capacity magazine sales to anyone or dealer in MA. No Ammunition Sales."

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I'm just saying, all of us in PR of Mass will need to look for this "note" before you start getting too excited about that great gun you find for only $100.

traveler57 said:
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I'm just saying, all of us in PR of Mass will need to look for this "note" before you start getting too excited about that great gun you find for only $100.

It really is depressing, innit?

What am I missing here?

By BATFE defininitons, a Curio and Relic firearm is...

"WHAT ARE CURIOS OR RELICS?

As set out in the regulations (27 CFR 178.11), curios or relics include firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1.) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
2.) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
3.) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less."

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/intro.htm

And they supply a list of "Firearms classified as curios or relics (still under the GCA)".

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/sec2.htm

But, right-off-hand, I see no M-1 Garands listed (excet for one commeverative model). Iver Johnson commeverative M-1 carbines are fine and dandy. No M-1903 Springfield, KAR-98k, etc.

Yet, they have Yugo SKS's and .44 AMP Auto-Mag handguns listed (I can remember back in the mid/late 70's when every single gun/pawn shop in Fayettville, NC had at least one on display, but I couldn't afford one [sad] ).

Is the the "other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons" definition the make or break deal?

Just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
>50 years more than takes care of M1s, M1 Carbines (most), 1903s, KAR-98s, etc.

The List of C&Rs is NOT exclusive. I suggest that you read the text before the actual lists.

It finally came! Time to contact midway :)
Would anyone have a list of additional contacts that didn't get posted here? Maybe some of those suppliers that will ship certain things [smile]

this application demands your SS#.. thats illegal!
and question 14.
The activity to be conducted under the FFL is not prohibited by state or local law at the premises show in item 3, including zoning ordinaces..

what about a school zone..
tecnically i cant even have firearms in my house as i live a block away from a school//

Last edited:
Walked in the house this evening and was greeted by the little blue envelope and large white "package".

SnakeEye said:
this application demands your SS#.. thats illegal!
and question 14.
The activity to be conducted under the FFL is not prohibited by state or local law at the premises show in item 3, including zoning ordinaces..

what about a school zone..
tecnically i cant even have firearms in my house as i live a block away from a school//

I think that you ought to spend some time reading MGLs (Ch. 140) and perhaps invest in Ron Glidden's book (do a search . . . they are available at AFS in N. Attleboro for $30)!

I refuse to give out my SSN for anything but tax purposes, but I can tell you the following:

- SSN is NOT really mandatory.
- The Patriot Act pretty much gutted the Right to Privacy Act of 1974, where a lot more people and excuses mandate using the SSN just about anywhere/everywhere to "protect national security". It's all BS, but that law covers their butts.
- A read of the Fed Law on "within 1000' of a school" as well as MGLs on the same topic might enlighten you on what is and is not legal.

More questions

I have my C&R form in front of me and I have a couple of questions.

1) It says at the bottom "Position & SS Number". What the heck do I
put down there? I put "individual". Is that OK? (Whoever designed this
form needs to die a slow and painful death!)

2) Same thing on the signature line. It asks for title and I put "individual"
there as well. Is this what they want?

TBP

The Boston Patriot said:
I have my C&R form in front of me and I have a couple of questions.

1) It says at the bottom "Position & SS Number". What the heck do I
put down there? I put "individual". Is that OK? (Whoever designed this
form needs to die a slow and painful death!)

2) Same thing on the signature line. It asks for title and I put "individual"
there as well. Is this what they want?

TBP

I just left that blank, IIRC.

The Boston Patriot said:
You didn't write your SS number in?

TBP

I honestly don't remember, TBP, but I probably put it in. I left the title part blank. That much I remember. It was a few years ago and I have problems remembering last week. [smile]

TBP,

I NEVER put my SSN on any gov't forms unless they go directly to the IRS or payroll department, or bank.

There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT for your SSN on the form. If you read the fine print it will somewhere tell you so.

I've never been hung up by doing this. My NICS (and my Wife's - same policy) comes thru just fine in a few minutes at most. My C&R FFL (I think I'm now on my 2nd renewal) and LTC (Wife's also) come thru in reasonable time.

Bureaucracies would love to have us all tattooed with our SSN "for identification purposes only" as a convenience, but when faced off about it, they usually back down if they know the law. BATFE does know the law! Your local chief is unlikely to know the law!

Check out 5 USC 552a

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode05/usc_sec_05_00000552---a000-.html

Homer said:
My C&R arrived yesterday. Already made copies to send to brownells and midway. Could someone email me or PM me with some vendors who will ship to MA?

My C&R came in a few days ago, too.

With respect to Brownells and other such places, where exactly do I send a copy of the C&R license to. I have been poking around Brownells' website and was unable to find out anything about where I should send it. Likewise, I'd also be interested in knowing some ammo vendors that will ship into MA to a C&R FFL (PM is fine). If board policy is only to note those to people who show their bona fides by becoming a NE Shooters official member, that's fine too -- I need another excuse to join :).

C&R license?

I applied for the license a few months ago and my package arrived from the BATF a few days ago. It included a number of notices, pamphlets and a firearms record book but nothing that looked like a license or any mention of a license number. Not knowing what to expect I assumed that the license was just on-file but noticed the previous poster mentioned a license number. What am I missing?

Yes, you should have been sent a license number -- it comes on a one page sheet, including your name address, license number, expiration date, and some other essential bureaucratic info.

It sounds to me like you got the publications packet, and your license will arrive separately.

Back
Top Bottom