• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Mailed my app 12/12, received 1/23! Damn, I haven't finished buying lowers and 80%s yet. I need to pick up some OT.

So, question, when you are creating the emailable version of your license, what date do you use? Today?

or do you create a new email copy every time you have to send it out?

Do you water mark it or otherwise indicate this is a dealer copy?

Ooh, title on the form, is collector acceptable?

i think so because i remember reading the application and it said they wouldn't charge you if you were not approved

Sorry, but I do NOT understand the pervasive paranoia about getting "approved" for a C&R FFL!

If you don't have any statutory issues, BATFE WILL approve any C&R FFL application, period! It is NOT discretionary, no BS, no "suitability" and even if a chief contacted BATFE (which none would dare to do on "suitability") saying "I ask you to refuse", I would not expect BATFE to comply . . . you'll still get your C&R FFL!

Just chill out and wait but stop worrying, it takes time for them to run all the checks (some of which are run back thru MA agencies).

ETA: In fact I know one person who alleges that his local chief refused to issue him a LTC, but claimed to have a C&R FFL (couldn't buy/own anything with it unless he also had a FID however)!!

Last edited:
Called today to check on the status, told me it mailed today and should be at my house in 7-10 days, CAN"T WAIT! Does anyone have a good bound book template, I have seen a few online but they are all junk. Also if anyone has a CZ-82 they may be interested in selling to a new C&R let me know, held one a year ago and fell in love with it.

Just got a letter that my SS # must be included. They highlighted the area on the form and sent it back.

Charged my CC last week so I thought it was all my FFL info.

As a timeline for you folks waiting: They charged my Credit Card on 1/9/13 and FFL 03-C&R Arrived today.......25 copies made....I can smell a new Mosin!

I have a quick question...
Let's say I have a class B LTC in MA and I get a C&R FFL. Does that mean that I can legally have a high capacity relic handgun or would I still be in violation of the law because I don't have a class A LTC?

I have a quick question...
Let's say I have a class B LTC in MA and I get a C&R FFL. Does that mean that I can legally have a high capacity relic handgun or would I still be in violation of the law because I don't have a class A LTC?

A C&R FFL grants no special privileges with regards to MA law. Eg., you're still subject to the reporting requirements via FA-10, the gun must still be legal to possess under MA law, etc.

Hmm. I was asking because I was also thinking about the automatic relics on the list. What would be the rules on those?
I'm thinking that only a Class A LTC holder would be able to buy those.

Hmm. I was asking because I was also thinking about the automatic relics on the list. What would be the rules on those?

If it is a "large capacity" handgun then yes, a MA resident would need a LTC-A to legally possess it. The C&R FFL confers no special privileges WRT MA law as I said.

If by "automatics" you're referring to machineguns, then you would need a MA machinegun license. If that is what you meant then you should consult someone who knows more about NFA type things.

NFA relics (including machine guns) are still covered by all NFA regulations (must be on the registry, transfers require a tax stamp, etc.), and would still require a MA Machine Gun License. There are some items that are specifically excluded from the NFA as Collector's Items, but I don't know if there are any machine guns on that list (probably not though). Mostly it's stuff with 14 or 15 inch barrels.

I looked over this publication: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/p-5300-11-firearms-curios-or-relics-list.pdf

I didn't see a clear answer to this question... If I have a gun in my possession that is not a C&R, but then due to age becomes a C&R, how is this handled? Would I have to put an entry in my bound book? How would that entry go?

Also, if I haven't purchased any C&R's do I still have to keep an empty bound book?

Thanks!

No. Only upon sale you enter it as "from personal collection".

Yes, you must maintain a BB. All of them start out empty.

There is no need to buy fancy $20 BB. Brownells sells one for ~$4 that dealers use and is fine.

Back
Top Bottom