EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Just sent in my C&R application today, now the waiting game begins.

Curious if anyone has bought any C&R firearms on-line? More curious about which web-sites to visit to find good deals on C&R firearms. I've been taking a look at gunbroker.com, but haven't seen any good deals. However, I have had good luck on gunbroker.com buying once fired brass for reloading.

Maybe someone will send you a PM about it, but it's not the kind of thing we post publicly here. Even though it's perfectly legal, the AG really likes to stick it to outside vendors with some trumped up BS that they don't want to fight due to cost/benefit (the market in MA is pretty small). Look around online, you'll find places.

Just sent in my C&R application today, now the waiting game begins.

Curious if anyone has bought any C&R firearms on-line? More curious about which web-sites to visit to find good deals on C&R firearms. I've been taking a look at gunbroker.com, but haven't seen any good deals. However, I have had good luck on gunbroker.com buying once fired brass for reloading.

Let Google be your guide. I found a couple places where folks had compiled lists. Some were a little outdated, but others got me to some decent sites. I haven't bought anything yet, so take this suggestion for what it's worth. Good luck.

Just filled out my application and will drop it in the mail tomorrow!!! I've recently gotten in to shooting and I have really been drawn to the older C&R firearms. Not sure why just yet, but really looking forward to starting a collection!! Whether or not I can afford it, well that's another story. . . .

Hi, I know I am going to be adding to probably a list of the same questions I am about to ask, but with 165 pages there are just way too many to go through with a shitty comp to find the answers. I am going to be applying for my C&R soon and wanted to know a few things first to make sure I had the right info.
1) You do not need the permission of the local chief before you file your paperwork, but only need to send him a copy for his records?
2) When you do a online FA-10, you do not need to fill in the seller info? If so, why not? An won't not filling in the seller info raise a red flag of where did the firearm come from? Again I am just trying to get the right answers.
3) Do all previously purchased firearms need to be logged into the boundbook or just the ones under the C&R FFL? Also if you purchase a regular, none C&R firearm, would that need to be logged in as well?

Thanks for all the help with my questions, like I said want to get all the right info before I do anything.

Thanks again
Redneck

1) You do not need the permission of the local chief before you file your paperwork, but only need to send him a copy for his records?

Correct.

2) When you do a online FA-10, you do not need to fill in the seller info? If so, why not? An won't not filling in the seller info raise a red flag of where did the firearm come from?

Correct. Because it's a "registration". No.

3) Do all previously purchased firearms need to be logged into the boundbook or just the ones under the C&R FFL? Also if you purchase a regular, none C&R firearm, would that need to be logged in as well?

Any firearms (C&R or otherwise) owned prior to being licensed are not required to be logged.

Future disposition(s) of any C&R firearm(s), including those owned prior to being licensed, must be logged.

Future acquisition(s) of any C&R firearm(s), whether or not obtained with your license, must be logged.

Non-C&R firearms never have to be logged.

Correct.

Correct. Because it's a "registration". No.

Any firearms (C&R or otherwise) owned prior to being licensed are not required to be logged.

Future disposition(s) of any C&R firearm(s), including those owned prior to being licensed, must be logged.

Future acquisition(s) of any C&R firearm(s), whether or not obtained with your license, must be logged.

Non-C&R firearms never have to be logged.

What about firearms aquired on a C&R that expired? I had my C&R, bought a couple rifles, didn't renew it, and now I'm thinking about getting it again since I moved out of MA. Would I just start over with a blank bound book, or would I include the entries from the previous license?

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

What about firearms aquired on a C&R that expired? I had my C&R, bought a couple rifles, didn't renew it, and now I'm thinking about getting it again since I moved out of MA. Would I just start over with a blank bound book, or would I include the entries from the previous license?

About a thousand posts back in this thread is a discussion on that subject.

My recollection is that (for 03) the bound book dies with the license. You have no obligation to either turn in your bound book or keep it after your C&R expires.

It seems to me if you apply for a new C&R long after the original expired, your old book is dead and you start with a new one. If that is correct then NO. Any C&R qualified firearms you already own do NOT go into your new bound book.

The smart thing to do is probably to write to ATF and ask. I would, but I'll never get a round tuit. If you do, please post their response here so that we can benefit from your proactiveness [grin]

C&R firearms must be logged in and/or out in your bound book during the period of time that your C&R FFL is valid.

About a thousand posts back in this thread is a discussion on that subject.

My recollection is that (for 03) the bound book dies with the license. You have no obligation to either turn in your bound book or keep it after your C&R expires.

It seems to me if you apply for a new C&R long after the original expired, your old book is dead and you start with a new one. If that is correct then NO. Any C&R qualified firearms you already own do NOT go into your new bound book.

The smart thing to do is probably to write to ATF and ask. I would, but I'll never get a round tuit. If you do, please post their response here so that we can benefit from your proactiveness [grin]

This is the right answer and no need to write BATFE, they've already documented it (no, I don't have a handy reference).

Start a new BB.

An odd thing occurred today. I recently mailed in my C&R renewal along with a personal check for payment. When I happened to look at my online banking today, I saw:

Preauthorized Debit $30.00
Memo: ATF FFLC

Normally, checks are listed as checks, and I can click to see an image front and back.

Can anyone shed any light on this, or has anyone else seen this before?

It sounds like they did an electronic transfer (as opposed to sneding the paper check to your bank) to complete the transfer. It is quicker, eleminates some of the "float" (delay in cashing) which people used to depend upon.

I have seen it in my online banking (with Berkshire Bank) as an "Electronified Check".

It sounds like they did an electronic transfer (as opposed to sneding the paper check to your bank) to complete the transfer. It is quicker, eleminates some of the "float" (delay in cashing) which people used to depend upon.

I have seen it in my online banking (with Berkshire Bank) as an "Electronified Check".

Interesting. Thanks.

"Electronified" [rofl]

Finally decided to hop on the C&R bandwagon. Application put in the mail today, we'll see how long it takes.

looks like the licensing division is just giving out a generic answer for inquiries, 60-90 days. They say they recived mine nov-5th (actualy the day the check cleared)... god, this waiting sucks...

Ok back again for some advice, downloaded the C&R license form and upon reading through it I found a few applicant certifiactions I want some info on.
1.) The activity to be conducted under Federal firearms license is not prohibited by State or local law at the premises shown in Item 3. This includes compliance with zoning ordinances.

Question: I am not a business FFL there for I would not need to pass zoning ordinances for a collector license?

2.) Within 30 days after the application is approved,the activity will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of business.

Question: Not entirely sure I am reading this one correctly, so if anyone can give me more info on this I would be grateful.

3.)Activity will not be conducted under the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met.

question: Why would I need to have business requirements met if I am a collector and at home and not a business establishment?

Also from what I have been reading online almost any website that has C&R firearms will not ship the handguns to MA, so how would I buy guns from a C&R website if they do not ship the handguns to MA?

1-3 You are not running a business so these questions are irrelevant.

The form is basically the same form they use for Dealer FFLs, so the questions are the same but don't pertain to us.

You'll have to do your own digging to find dealers who might ship to you once you get your C&R FFL. And we never post those names anywhere on the Internet. Yes the AG does troll this (and other) sites and uses the info to terrorize dealers into refusing to sell to MA subjects.

- - - Updated - - -

Also is this something I need to consult my local PD about?

You need to read the directions carefully that come with the form. You must give a copy to your local Chief BEFORE you mail the copy to the Feds. That's all, no permission needed.

I was asking if the 1-3 needs to be consulted with PD, I know that the chief gets a copy and thats it. Back to the 1-3 questions I asked, so I would leave those boxes blank? I want to know before i fill this form out and then get a knock at my door. The number on the form I am referring to is 14, it asks for the applicant to certify

Last edited:
I tend NOT to leave blank spaces on gov't forms. Put N/A or some other means of indicating you didn't forget the questions but they aren't applicable to a C&R FFL. Read the directions, it might just tell you how to deal with it. [My first C&R was in 1999 and the form has changed, renewals use a different form too, so I really don't know what it looks like today, thus I suggest you read it carefully.]

Your local chief is most likely clueless on zoning issues or how to fill out the form. Mine didn't even know what it was.

Thank you LenS, The way they have the form set up is almost as if you are applying for an FFL, so it is a bit confusing as to what they want from a C&R applicant, esp since some of the directions do not offer help.

Back
Top Bottom