• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Luckily I found the "dont ask what ones" Post today so im not going there! I JUST sent the application a few weeks ago so when it comes in I'll start calling places up to see who will work with me. I need to move from Mass!!! Thanks for the input!

Just called to follow up on mine and it's waiting for fingerprint report to come back--ETA possibly next week to ten days. By all means, call BATFE if you've been waiting that long.

I just called to follow up. She just sent it in for an echeck (background).

In other words, they forgot until we nudged them. Another week or two, apparently.

MAN I cant wait to get that license! There is so much cool stuff out there! Thank god my girfriend says "awwww coool" every time I get a new gun!

Question- Does a normal Class 01 dealer in Ma have to pay a fee for the NICS or transfer fees when I buy non- C&R from them? Im asking because it sounds like if they do they wont have to if the gun im buying is considered relic with my C&R. Meaning I could try to knock the price down a bit since there would be no more transfer fees to them for that transaction. Just curious.

Nobody in MA pays a NICS check fee. Dealers charge a "transfer fee" if they aren't selling you the gun . . . that fee varies widely, so always ask.

Im asking because it sounds like if they do they wont have to if the gun im buying is considered relic with my C&R. Meaning I could try to knock the price down a bit since there would be no more transfer fees to them for that transaction.

The dealer doesn't pay any transfer or NICS check fee, as Len said. But they are providing you a service, which is what they are charging for. They don't have to do a NICS check on a C&R transaction, but they do still have to do a MIRCS check (state background check) and submit the FA-10, which typically takes about twice as long as the federal paperwork anyway.

JDubs said:
Thank god my girfriend says "awwww coool" every time I get a new gun!

If you don't have your license yet, how are you obtaining guns?

Thanks for the input Lens and Jdubois! I was always curious about that!

Jdubois- I was refering to all the non-C&R guns I buy with just my Class A LTC. Im fortunate to have a lady that thinks they are neat. Thank god I took her shooting, now its always her idea! Thank god for .22's!

Yea sorry for the scare! Im a young guy but im by the book, I enjoy this way too much to jeopardize. Its good to know everyone is looking out for that kind of stuff. Shady people who do things like that need some one to say HEY, WHATS UP WITH THAT! Good lookin out!

I just realised I didnt put anything in the Position field in the C&R application. I thought it was for only the ones that were a business or what ever that section was. dont remember. Hope that doesnt bite me in the butt later on.

Ive never wanted someone to take money out of my bank account so badly in my life!! Come on ATF TAKE IT TAKE that money!!! haha

I'm filling out my C&R application now and i have a question about the CLEO section. Now do i just need to call up my cheif of police in my town and tell him i'm applying for my C&R? or does he need to fill out the CLEO section?

And do i send both sections of the applicaiton to the ATF or just send the ATF section and just give the CLEO part to the cheif of police?

Did you read the instructions?

The CLEO section gets mailed/delivered to your police chief. What he does with it is his business . . . no approval required.

you mail the rest of it to BATFE . . . although I suggest that you keep a copy for your records.

The duplicate copy of the form (the one with the payment info grayed out) is mailed to your Chief. There is nothing for him to do, its just to notify him your applying. A friendly heads up. Be sure to fill the duplicate out tho, a empty form wont tell him much haha

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Debbie from ATF just called me back. She has my C&R in her hand and is mailing it to me today.

I sent it in 7/15/2009, so it took 5 months, and two phone calls.

UPDATE:

Debbie from ATF just called me back. She has my C&R in her hand and is mailing it to me today.

I sent it in 7/15/2009, so it took 5 months, and two phone calls.

I sure Hope Debbie doesnt get mine! well, at least I have some time to save some money!

Called to check on mine, its almost a month and I wanted to make sure they at least GOT the application. I regret I used my bank info on it and not a check. The customer service rep said they have no record but they will look into it and call me back in a few hours. Not holding my breath on that one but we will see. Oddly she said the money should of cleared out of my account within a week of mailing it but perhaps what SHOULD happen and what does happen isnt always the same. i'll keep at it, some times the squeeky wheel gets the grease. They are nice people to deal with surprisingly tho

So sad so sad, got a call back from Amy from the ATF and my app was received but because it was not the GREEN OFFICIAL FORM they sent me (I printed mine out from online) they could not process it. I fudged up the real one so I printed one up not thinking it would matter. Im glad I called, now I just have to wait for the real form to come again and again from the start. Well, more time to save I guess. Hope this Post saves future applicants some trouble.

I just sent out my C&R app. I live in MA, and only have a FID. will my app. get denied? If it doesnt I still cannot buy a C&R handgun right?

Well, Mailed my Second App. First one was a copy of the forms and not the originals so it got put in the trash on arrival. Its ok, group buys already have me eating Ramen this month, now I can try to save some C&R money![grin]

From the ATF C&R webpage:

"The principal advantage of a Collector's License is that a collector can acquire curios or relics in interstate commerce. A licensed collector may acquire and dispose of curios or relics at any location; however, dispositions to nonlicensees must be made to residents of the same State in which the collector is licensed."

That sounds like a yes to me, you can import a C&R handgun into your state but you can't export one without going through another FFL.

As a follow up to this. If I'm on a road trip and I find a WWII 1911 can I buy it (provided I have a copy of my C&R with me) and bring it back on the plane with me (checked luggage of course) or would I need to have it shipped to my home (i.e. the address of record on the C&R license)?

Applied and received my C&R FFL in 3 weeks...Perfect transaction.

Warning - As JDubs found out the hard way...order your forms online and only send in the origninal green form or it will be rejected. You can order more than one copy as I did (just in case i screwed my first up; which i did).

I am looking forward to my first transaction...Good luck peps!

As a follow up to this. If I'm on a road trip and I find a WWII 1911 can I buy it (provided I have a copy of my C&R with me) and bring it back on the plane with me (checked luggage of course) or would I need to have it shipped to my home (i.e. the address of record on the C&R license)?

IANAL, but I'm sure the laws of the state you are in would prevail, as in if they required you to have that state's license or not to purchase.

IANAL, but I'm sure the laws of the state you are in would prevail, as in if they required you to have that state's license or not to purchase.

Pilgrim is right. In Free America, you can "cash & carry" w/o 4473/NICS if buying a C&R with your C&R FFL. In some states there are waiting periods even with a C&R FFL (e.g. CT and Southern FL for two that I've inquired about). NOTE: If you have a CT/FL NR permit you can cash & carry in those respective states with a C&R/C&R FFL.

Pilgrim is right. In Free America, you can "cash & carry" w/o 4473/NICS if buying a C&R with your C&R FFL. In some states there are waiting periods even with a C&R FFL (e.g. CT and Southern FL for two that I've inquired about). NOTE: If you have a CT/FL NR permit you can cash & carry in those respective states with a C&R/C&R FFL.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom