EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Got it. All set with forms now, thanks. Just saw the Chief and I have to notify my local resident CT state trooper. Now, has anyone got any hints on how to go about this, maybe it is explained in the package from BATF that is on order. This trooper is hard to catch up to, and I am not sure of his opionion on 2nd amendment stuff. Open to suggestions.
Thanks
Tank

Drop it in the mail. Your only duty is to notify him. The app is very clear on that.

He has an opportunity to tell the ATF why you are unsuitable for the C&R. His views on 2A don't count for much in this case. If he happens to know you have a private cemetary behind the house, a fridge full of C4 and you regularly mow down elderly in crosswalks, you might have an issue!

His opinion does NOT count! You are NOT asking permission, you are NOTIFYING!

If he has a mailing address, this is the proper way to notify. NO need for a meeting or handing it to the person.

His opinion does NOT count! You are NOT asking permission, you are NOTIFYING!

If he has a mailing address, this is the proper way to notify. NO need for a meeting or handing it to the person.

I understand it is just a notification and that the CLEO has no part in the decision making process.

I *thought* the notification was in the event the CLEO knows something the ATF should know, he can tell them. If he does nothing, it has no effect on the process. If he tells them "blah blah blah" it might or might not affect the ATF decision but it remains ATF's decision.

Is that incorrect?

Any good stores in New England with C&R stuff? Im starting my search for online dealers but am having a hard time since i'm in Mass. In the mean time any places that I can drive to would be fine until I find someone to work with me online. I was at the frosty yesterday and shot my first Mosin, now I want one. Any recommendations are welcome and appreciated! My C&R is on my desk looking sadly unused!!! PM's welcome, but im not asking for places that ship, just stores I can drive to to find some of this cool stuff!!

Terry Goode
Collectors Firearms & Militaria
122 Bridge St., Unit 9
Pelham, NH 03076
(603) 635-9699

Terry is a first class guy, he usually has many tables at guns shows and he also has an FFL out of Chelmsford (by appt only). He escaped into NH when the law changed in 1998.

Thank you LenS! I just pasted that onto my list! Do I have to make an appointment to see him in NH or does he have regular hours?

Thank you LenS! I just pasted that onto my list! Do I have to make an appointment to see him in NH or does he have regular hours?

Glad to help. No, Terry is open normal business hours (better call as I don't know exactly what they are). The shop is in the REAR of a small strip mall (shop is not obvious from street).

New Question, I have found a NICE M44 online someone is selling. He does NOT have a C&R, I just asked for a copy of his Drivers License or Firearms ID so I can enter his Info into my bound book for if and when I get it. I can understand people being protective of this information but just in case he says no, what should I do? He may not want to send copies of either, is it an acceptable alternative to have him just email his info to me without it being a copy and take his word on it? This is my first purchase and I im trying to prepare before anything is final.

If they stop by unannounced, you still have your forth amendment rights. They're not allowed in without a warrant. § 178.23(c)(2) allows the C&R holder to elect to have the annual inspection carried out at the nearest ATF office.

I have personally never heard of any C&R holder ever having an annual inspection. It would usually be a waste of time unless they actually suspected you of criminal activity or one of your guns having been involved in such, at which point they will likely have a warrant. They have bigger fish to fry than making sure C&R holders dotted all the 'i's in their bound book.

I just read that section after I read somewhere that you lose warrant protection if you have a C&R.
So here is the text.

"(c) Any ATF officer, without having
reasonable cause to believe a violation
of the Act has occurred or that evidence
of the violation may be found
and without demonstrating such cause
before a Federal magistrate or obtaining
from the magistrate a warrant authorizing
entry, may enter during
hours of operation the premises, including
places of storage, of any licensed
collector for the purpose of inspecting
or examining the records, documents,
firearms, and ammunition referred
to in paragraph (a) of this section
(1) for ensuring compliance with
the recordkeeping requirements of this
part not more than once during any 12-
month period or (2) when such inspection
or examination may be required
for determining the disposition of one
or more particular firearms in the
course of a bona fide criminal investigation.
At the election of the licensed
collector, the annual inspection permitted
by this paragraph shall be performed
at the ATF office responsible
for conducting such inspection in closest
proximity to the collectors premises"

If I am reading that correctly, they can enter without a warrant if its part of a criminal investigation?

Last edited:
Just a quick update; Mailed applications on 9/4/09, received license on 2/26/2010, and they spelled my middle name wrong! Made a quick phone call and they will mail out a corrected copy "ASAP" but it is okay to use the incorrect one for now. Go figure......

Loving My C&R, Its saved me hundreds on Milsurp Ammo so far! I am a bit surprised with Midway though, seems like their "Dealer Discount" is $1 off of what it costs the public and then we dont get any shipping breaks or deals like the public. Anyone have luck with saving more than a $1 an item at midway? Perhaps is just because im looking at reloading items. The surplus ammo prices I pay at other dealers sure is nice though!

I've gotten many things at Midway that have come out to more than a dollar savings per item. The margin on reloading equipment is low so you're not going to see much of a savings there. Depending on what you're looking for, Mid-South Shooters Supply is often cheaper than Midway even with the C&R discount so you might want to look there for reloading parts.

I've gotten many things at Midway that have come out to more than a dollar savings per item. The margin on reloading equipment is low so you're not going to see much of a savings there. Depending on what you're looking for, Mid-South Shooters Supply is often cheaper than Midway even with the C&R discount so you might want to look there for reloading parts.

Hey Thanks Stef! I'll check em out! I figured it was just because of the small margin on reloading items.

I'm not sure where I read it bit I thought the ATF contacgted you before sending you the license?

Guess my luck is not as good as some of you, I sent my app 2/4 please get here, I really want to order a CZ-82!

!!! I love this forum !!! so much info and I've only been on here for a couple days. BTW and you probably all know this already, the links in the OP don't work.

I just got mine last week after 8 Weeks and 4 Days. I sent copies of mine to Midway, Brownells, Simpson LTD, and Centerfire Systems. I made a mail merge document linked to an Envelope template, so anything you add to the excel spreadsheet will be printed on an envelope. I have 54 places on record, I weeded out anyplace without a website. If you are interested in the files I put together, PM me and I'll send them to you.

Back
Top Bottom