EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

I hope I can be approved. I've never been arrested, so I should be all set.

No worries. They are 'shall issue'. The only requirements are that you are at least 21 years old, you are not federally prohibited from owning firearms, you haven't willfully violated any GCA statutes or regulations (which would generally make you a prohibited person anyway), haven't lied on your application, and you have a residence in any state in the US.

Ordered Forms

Fantastic thread.

Just ordered the forms over the phone. I was told that it was too late to get them out today (ATF must shut down the mail room at 3:00PM). However, they will go out in the post in the next couple of days.

Why a C&R if you don't want to buy old rifles?

I've tried to read all the posts here but I must have missed something. What are the advantages to me to have a C&R license if I have no interest in old rifles? Do any of the suppliers give discounts on non-C&R stuff to me just because I have a C&R? Or will any of the online people ship ammo to me in Mass. if I have a C&R? Or is there some other advantage I am missing?

So from what I have read so far with a C&R you can buy firearms that are 50+ years old, on the spot, sent to your home. How about things like ammo, reloading stuff, that places like Berries and midway will NOT send to a Ma**h*** address, will they do it with a C&R on file, even if it is not for someting 50+ years old?

So from what I have read so far with a C&R you can buy firearms that are 50+ years old, on the spot, sent to your home. How about things like ammo, reloading stuff, that places like Berries and midway will NOT send to a Ma**h*** address, will they do it with a C&R on file, even if it is not for someting 50+ years old?

No. If your interest is strictly modern firearms, I believe your only meaningful benefit will be somewhat better pricing, access to shows like SHOT. If you ever go for a green card, a C&R is bona fides for your collector status.

The policies that prevent companies from shipping ammo to Mass are based on fear, not on law. Those policies won't change because you have a C&R.

All THAT said, what's the matter with old rifles and handguns? Wouldn't you rather shoot a 1911 than one of the granady things made of plastic?

The policies that prevent companies from shipping ammo to Mass are based on fear, not on law. Those policies won't change because you have a C&R.

And further note that many FFLs who specialize in C&R guns won't ship them to you here in MA even if you have a C&R license.

A C&R license without an interest in C&R guns gets you a little bit of a discount at a few places. That's about it.

No. If your interest is strictly modern firearms, I believe your only meaningful benefit will be somewhat better pricing, access to shows like SHOT. If you ever go for a green card, a C&R is bona fides for your collector status.

All THAT said, what's the matter with old rifles and handguns? Wouldn't you rather shoot a 1911 than one of the granady things made of plastic?

OK, thanks. I understand the fear/law part. and yeah, I like metal.[smile]

Woo hoo! My C&R just came today.
[dance]

It took eight weeks but that was due to my, ahem, clerical error. I checked but did not initial items in Box 14. I received a pleasant note from a legal instruments examiner 4 weeks ago--mailed the corected form the same day.

Made my copies, stored the original in the fire safe. (Learning allot from NES!)

My letters to vendors are ready to go but my desktop has been rendered inoperable by MS patch Tuesday! Grrrr.....

Time for some research (about C&R guns that is; I'll deal with the desktop over the weekend.)

Forms never arrived

Alas, the C&R forms never arrived. I had to call and re-order them today. My info was in the system which made it quick and easy.

I was told that they are going into the mail today. Time will tell. I requested two copies in case of a clerical error.

C&R Help

I just received my C&R in the mail and I feel like I've seen someone post directions on how to fill out the C&R so it doesnt get sent back to you...anybody know where that is?[thinking]

I just received my C&R in the mail and I feel like I've seen someone post directions on how to fill out the C&R so it doesnt get sent back to you...anybody know where that is?[thinking]

It comes with instructions. Just read them and fill it out. No sweat. If you really want hand holding, I believe surplusrifle.com has a walk through.

Yea I'll check it out, I just know from reading on here if you have a "clerical error" they'll send it back and that means more waiting...[angry]

C&R License Arrived

Yes, it arrived in the mail today.

Many thanks to all who have posted.

Submitted paperwork on July 6, 2009
Credit Card Charged on July 9, 2009
C&R License arrived on July 29, 2009

That is pretty fast.

Now, I have to decide what my first C&R purchase will be [thinking]

Any recommendations?

Anyone had a change of address lately? Mines taking quite a while compared to all the quick reports of new licenses. Maybe I should call the ATF.

Got mine yesterday....[smile]

A quick question.... When you send out your copies to the various vendors, do you also include a cover letter or is the info on the C&R enough? If so, does anyone have a cover letter boiler plate that they would be willing to share with me?

Somewhere in the first 50 or so pages of this thread I think were some template suggestions.

Just a paragraph along the lines of "I am ____, FFL'03 # ______ (attached). Please send me your current catalog and keep this on file for future purchases.".

Got mine yesterday....[smile]

A quick question.... When you send out your copies to the various vendors, do you also include a cover letter or is the info on the C&R enough? If so, does anyone have a cover letter boiler plate that they would be willing to share with me?

I just mail the license. They know what to do with it.

Anyone had a change of address lately? Mines taking quite a while compared to all the quick reports of new licenses. Maybe I should call the ATF.

I hadn't thought of that slowing the process down. Mine is taking longer than most people seem to be reporting. Its been about a month and no CC charge. I had to list 5 addresses that I lived at over the last 5 years.

I found a letter from the ATF in my mailbox this afternoon. I was rejected (temporarily). I failed question 4. Which county will the activity take place in? I put United States. [laugh]

Woops. Now I have to correct it and send it back. More waiting for me. I swear I double checked my work too. [thinking]

Sent my app today.

I sat on it for 4 months. I guess it was the whole CLEO thing until I read the app again and relized that you just have to send the copy to them. Nothing else.

doh!

I finally got my CR paper work in today. Took a little over a month to get it and I ordered it off of the site.

Now here is my next question. I currently live in Ma but I may be moving to CT in a month or so. Should I just apply to get it in MA now and then transfer that over to CT when I do get my CT LTC.

And my second question is. If i do move to CT is there a grace period between moving there and obtaining a CT permit or do I need to get one before I step foot over the border?

As of right now ct is just an option for me, Thanks for your time guys.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom