Ever Completely humbled by your gun snobbery?

When I was in college, I wanted a PPK/s in the worst way. Couldn’t get the money together, but always wanted one. Years later, found a rental at a range and finally got to shoot one. Tore two parallel grooves onto the web of my hand where the slide rode over the web of my thumb. I bled like a stick pig. Screw this! Fast forward 30 years, and my FIL buys one and we go to the range. I think “Well, I was just holding it wrong. I’m much more skilled now.” I shoot his. Two parallel ruts in the web of my hand. Much bleeding. You can still see the scars if you look close.

I use that story in my NRA Basic Pistol class under the category of “Try before you buy.”

I had a similar issue with a Sig p232 20 years ago. I was excited to pick it up, but more excited to put it down.

I convinced myself to get Seecamp a few years ago. Turned out to be poorly made for such an expensive gun. But everyone says they're Rolex-like jewels so I tried a second one. It was just as sketchy. The new owners botched a parts order and stopped returning my calls. Around that time I started noticing the owner's community was full of comments like "well as long as it goes bang you shouldn't care. mine didn't even come with rifling and it'll hit things 6' away." After that I ended up owning a Kel-Tec P32 and a Taurus TCP and they were considerably higher quality.

No snobbery but 20 years ago 1st gun (smith and Wesson not my brothers Sig) and I was getting terrible groupings after several boxes. I was at Bob's in Salsbury and asked if they had a sight pusher. Guy behind the counter ask why? I explain and he comes out to the firing line. Looks the gun over quickly, loads a magazine, wiffles several rounds in a close group centered on the target. Puts the gun down, looks at me and says "there's nothing wrong with that gun" and walks away.

😂
Well, maybe the wind just died down.

If you asked me years ago if I would ever carry a S&W semi-auto pistol, I would have laughed at you.
Then along came the Shield in 9mm.
Went straight home to install an Apex kit to fix the barn door monster death grip trigger they put in it.
I have never in my life shot a pistol so accuratey with such a natural grip that I didn't have to adjust to shoot so well.
If I had to get rid of all my pistols I would keep my two Shields as the last ones!

Last edited:
i like them too. glock had it figured out from day one, make a simple auto pistol for not a lot of money that runs out of the box and add to that a super warranty program and boom...you shit gold, not bricks. as far as being the greatest thing since sliced bread, nope. the american v-8 engine is.
Inline 3's are better. Easy to fix, cheap to maintain.

There have been times that folks have shot better than me, or faster, many many times in fact. I don't ever recall someone showing up with a cooler gat though.

Several years ago I bought my first Glock 19 and liked it very much, even though I dislike striker fired pistols. I carried it regularly and enjoyed shooting it. Then, more recently I bought a Taurus TH9, full ambi controls, DA/SA, hammer fired, decocker and manual safety, fits my hands like a glove, comfortable to carry, shoots excellent and functions 100%.
I have a bit over 1200 rds through it and not a single malfunction. For $300 I'll definitely be buying another one.

I've had one instance with gun snobbery. Someone handed me a Canik to shoot. I shot it. I handed it back... quickly.

Snobbery Confirmed.
Didn’t like it? I love my tp9sf. Bought it as a cheap range beater when I found a new one on sale for $285 and didn’t expect much. Ironically it has become one of my favorite handguns.

I've never shot one but I've held a bunch of them at work, if you gave me a SD9VE for free I'd never shoot it and just sell it. And I love the S&W's that I own, that one just seems like garbage....

Back
Top Bottom