• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Evaluating new automatics for carry

what's your beef with DOA/assisted double action striker fired like glock and glock copycats? Personal preference or do you think they're not safe?

In all seriousness, have you gotten to a gun store yet and rented some guns to shoot? There's the Mass Firearms School, the place in Attleboro, Midstate Guns and Sakonnet River Outfitters in RI, Manchester Firing Line in NH (sure there's more too).
this is great advice...I went to Mass firearms the other day and tried out 6 guns...and immediately crossed some off my wish list and added ones that I thought I would hate...nothing beats shooting the gun...

what's your beef with DOA/assisted double action striker fired like glock and glock copycats? Personal preference or do you think they're not safe?

one of the finest "pre-cocked" DAO's I've shot is the S&W 5943 or other variants of the S&W 3rd gen DAO system. those triggers are great. pull is right in between an SA and a DA pull with a short reset. it's fantastic. if it weren't an alloy frame I would shoot it more often.

i'm convinced if Sig had designed the P250 to pre-cock even like 30% it would have made all the difference in the world. oh well.

one of the finest "pre-cocked" DAO's I've shot is the S&W 5943 or other variants of the S&W 3rd gen DAO system. those triggers are great. pull is right in between an SA and a DA pull with a short reset. it's fantastic. if it weren't an alloy frame I would shoot it more often. ...

What's wrong with an alloy frame? Lighter than steel, nicer than plastic.

Try Granite State, you can rent a bunch of guns of same caliber with one rental fee ($20?). Gotta buy their ammo for rentals tho, unlike at MFS.

What's wrong with an alloy frame? Lighter than steel, nicer than plastic.

for a safe queen, i don't want a steel slide wearing down an old alloy frame. i agree though the concept is wonderful, but i'm less stoked about their longterm survival so i don't shoot them as much. i have little data to support my fear, just anecdotal reports and my own "reasoning" for whatever little that is worth. [hmmm]

for a safe queen, i don't want a steel slide wearing down an old alloy frame. i agree though the concept is wonderful, but i'm less stoked about their longterm survival so i don't shoot them as much. i have little data to support my fear, just anecdotal reports and my own "reasoning" for whatever little that is worth. [hmmm]
Any galling problems between aluminum and steel were long ago resolved with the original Colt Commander and S&W M39.

Considering that there were hundreds of thousands of steel/aluminum pistols out there since 1949, that has not been a significant problem. Could it be? Possibly, but you would have to have an extremely high round this count and something else would fail before that happened. Of course there are all steel DA/SA pistols. Two known problems: in the early days of stainless steel guns, galling was a problem especially with Randall's and AMT Hardballers. Better metallurgy solved that problem. The feeders ramp on Commanders got ruined by the bullet profile. The gunsmith trick was to insert a metal sleeve. Ruger uses a titanium sleeve on its lightweight pistol.

Everyone has fears or concerns. Emotion overrides intellect. I have an irrational fear of hand grenades. I am convinced that once I pull the pin I am going to drop it and it is going to roll out of my hand and even to this day the mental image of that is firmly imprinted in my mind.

Last edited:

I have a 6906 with over 30,000 rounds through it and no appreciable wear on the alloy frame. With proper lube these guns could outlast the owners.

PS My only complaint about alloy frames is their light weight. I would love to have a 6906 with a SS frame. I would gladly trade a little extra weight for less muzzle flip.

PPS Alloy frames do have their drawbacks. Some alloy frames don't wear as well as steel/SS. Alloy framed SIGs have been known to develop cracks in the rail area, rendering the frame useless, and SIG does not warranty their frames.

Last edited:

Not a problem, really. 90% of the Sig P series handguns are all built this way. Even the nitron madness P series guns (where the nitron was too abrasive and ground some of the anodizing off the alloy frame) last a REALLY long time, just keep the things lubricated. If you're really paranoid, use some kind of grease on the rails like slide glide or whatever.

-Mike

one of the finest "pre-cocked" DAO's I've shot is the S&W 5943 or other variants of the S&W 3rd gen DAO system. those triggers are great. pull is right in between an SA and a DA pull with a short reset. it's fantastic. if it weren't an alloy frame I would shoot it more often.

i'm convinced if Sig had designed the P250 to pre-cock even like 30% it would have made all the difference in the world. oh well.

The best iteration of this idea is the HK LEM trigger. The only thing the LEM sucked at brutally is the reset is way too long. Para did it too with the LDA but that was a shitty, proprietary design that pissed off gunsmiths... well that, and it was Para.

-Mike

So I shot a few of the aforementioned on the list....loved the CZ85 Combat and the USP9Compact...then a friend had to throw a ****ing monkey wrench in.

Visiting in PA, he had the 5006, the CZ75 and 2 HKs - a USP 9C and a USP45C.... the 9 had the LEM, didn't care for it. The 45 had the DASA decocker....

God DAMN I love that gun! So now its between the non LEM 9 and the 45C

So I shot a few of the aforementioned on the list....loved the CZ85 Combat and the USP9Compact...then a friend had to throw a ****ing monkey wrench in.

Visiting in PA, he had the 5006, the CZ75 and 2 HKs - a USP 9C and a USP45C.... the 9 had the LEM, didn't care for it. The 45 had the DASA decocker....

God DAMN I love that gun! So now its between the non LEM 9 and the 45C

Was it USP45c or HK45c? You should try a 9c with DASA, it should be very similar to the 45c.

also got to shoot the governor....was very very very surprised by how much I liked it. seems like it would be awkward for carry, but he let me try his IWB with it - oddly concealable for such an oddly shaped revolver.

After many years of shooting DA/SA pistols (S&W. CZ, and SIG mostly) I have no use for the "pre cocked" or LEM pistols I have tried. As long as the pistol has a decent DA trigger there is no problem transitioning to SA mode which has many advantages. I don't even notice it. To paraphrase Colonel Cooper, "the pre cocked or LEM trigger is an ingenious solution to a non existent problem".

Back
Top Bottom