• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Evaluating new automatics for carry

As usual, nes delivers on the advice. Should have clarified on "slim" - by that I mean grips....which is why I looked to the Czech and Israeli offerings. I'll definitely check out the sig e2 grips.

Part of me is thinking 1911 again as well, providing I can get used to cocked and locked.
Ding

That "RAMI" is a new one to me. Looks pretty cool. Anybody on here have one of those? In MA? Where can they be found, in MA?

Based on your requirements, I'd recommend the S&W Third Gen 6906 or 39xx series. Those things just run and run and run...

i just got the value version of the 3913, the 908S. 8+ 1 da/ sa, points well, and it is not plastic.

the 69xx is going to be double stack, but it can use pre ban 5900 mags and that gets you 15 + 1, I have a 6946 configured this way.

Sig Sig Sig!
p938 with hollow point
Our home has 3 of them for carry

but I love my P320 357sig carry.
I feel as though I can hit an ant on the side of a barn at 50 meters
actually doing it isn't the same as feeling but it gives you an idea about my confidence with the weapon

Had a 6906 (later version). Loved shooting it. Sold it because, well, I'm stupid and I do things like that. Would love to get one back. Realize that mags can be tough to find and you are not going to get a lot of Customer Support from S&W anymore. :( Damn plastic striker guns. :D

Aloha

The 6906 will accept 5900 mags. MecGar is currently producing them. Just bought five from Cheaper Than Dirt for $20 each. Unfortunately they are 10 round MA mags; high caps are available for lucky folks in the free states.

PS S&W CS isn't what it used to be, but Numrich carries parts for the 6906. I just replaced the hammer and sear in mine for a very reasonable price and the operation was a success.

Last edited:
Sig Sig Sig!
p938 with hollow point
Our home has 3 of them for carry

but I love my P320 357sig carry.
I feel as though I can hit an ant on the side of a barn at 50 meters
actually doing it isn't the same as feeling but it gives you an idea about my confidence with the weapon

Vote for p320 compact... 320's have become my fave gun.

I do love the p225 though. Don't like the weight.

considering the following autos for carry, my requirements are simplistic- slim as hell grips, da/sa but no dao/glock, at least 10 rounds for capacity.

I'm all over the place with caliber, realizing that 9 remains the least expensive, so I'm not hung up there yet.

Here's what I've narrowed things down to

Cz75 compact
Cz75b
Baby Eagle
HK USP compacts

Otherwise, there's the 1911, but I'm more interested in da/Sa

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

HK USPc isn't very slim or compact. It's a big gun and very space inefficient. A Glock 19 is significantly smaller -- I know, you don't want a Glock, but it is a reasonable size comparison.

SIG 239 is a reasonable size, but single stack only so less than 10 rounds. 229 is significantly bulkier. I agree with Mark that a 3913 might be the ticket, though personally I can't stand slide-mounted safeties.

More accurate than you.

More powerful than .380.

Nice looking.

Solid steel.

True hammer fired.

A MAN'S gun.

East German Makarov: A Cold War Classic

makarov.jpg
makarov-2.jpg

anyone have experience with the FNP?

In all seriousness, have you gotten to a gun store yet and rented some guns to shoot? There's the Mass Firearms School, the place in Attleboro, Midstate Guns and Sakonnet River Outfitters in RI, Manchester Firing Line in NH (sure there's more too).

Very likely to visit Mass Firearms in the near future.

In all seriousness, have you gotten to a gun store yet and rented some guns to shoot? There's the Mass Firearms School, the place in Attleboro, Midstate Guns and Sakonnet River Outfitters in RI, Manchester Firing Line in NH (sure there's more too).

Add p99 to your list da/sa gun sa trigger is awesome. They are comfy as hell to grip too.

I have one and I hate it because there is a bump in the top of the trigger housing that gives me a blister when I put rounds through it as my finder sits low on the trigger. More irritating than anything but still. My wife loves the gun as do some of my friends. The DA pull is crazy heavy trigger on mine and I inquired about getting it lightened and was told I cannot.

That is why you need to shoot it.

Back
Top Bottom