• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Evaluating new automatics for carry

considering the following autos for carry, my requirements are simplistic- slim as hell grips, da/sa but no dao/glock, at least 10 rounds for capacity.

I'm all over the place with caliber, realizing that 9 remains the least expensive, so I'm not hung up there yet.

Here's what I've narrowed things down to

Cz75 compact
Cz75b
Baby Eagle
HK USP compacts

Otherwise, there's the 1911, but I'm more interested in da/Sa

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you can find one a S&W 3913 or 3914 or Sig P225. I understand the P225 is back in production again, don't know when and if it will be Mass complaint.

You won't get ten rounds (8) plus one in the spout. Also look at the P229 with the new grip configuration.

Last edited:
I have and love the ups compact, but it is anything but slim.

You mean the .45? My 9mm is pretty slim, but the P2000 is slimmer with smoother grip. I prefer the USPc though.

To the OP, none of these choices are truly slim, how about a single stack like the Walther PPS? 8 rounds, reliable, great shooter and very slim. Going for $350-$400 now that the M2 model is coming.

No CZ rami B 9mm? Nice carry gun

If it's gotta be DA SA... this... the RAMI or a P01.

The USP 9c isn't too bad if you're willing to throw in a wolff spring and give it a buff job to get the skritchy shit out of the DA... that's a good hour worth of work, though. I carried a USPc .40 for a couple of years (may have been longer, I've lost track).

-Mike

You mean the .45? My 9mm is pretty slim, but the P2000 is slimmer with smoother grip. I prefer the USPc though.

To the OP, none of these choices are truly slim, how about a single stack like the Walther PPS? 8 rounds, reliable, great shooter and very slim. Going for $350-$400 now that the M2 model is coming.

I don't think he wants a striker fired gun which screens out like 75% of the possibilities. [laugh]

-Mike

If it's gotta be DA SA... this... the RAMI or a P01.
-Mike

the RAMI is manually decocked, while the P01 has a decocker, right? I'm not really comfortable with manually decocking personally, dunno about the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think he wants a striker fired gun which screens out like 75% of the possibilities. [laugh]

-Mike

Oh, duh, forgot! Are there any small single stack DA/SA options? The P239 is too big and heavy imo.

the RAMI is manually decocked, while the P01 has a decocker, right? I'm not really comfortable with manually decocking personally, dunno about the OP.

The P01 has a decocker on it. The RAMI does not, but you can carry it C1 or manually decock it. It seems unnerving at first but it's not really that hard to deal with.

Oh, duh, forgot! Are there any small single stack DA/SA options? The P239 is too big and heavy imo.

That's one, maybe S&W Chiefs Special 9, if you get rid of the mag interlock. Bersa has a Thunder 9 I think, too, that is DA/SA and is pretty compact. A Walther P99c also pretty well emulates DA/SA, too, but I doubt he's going to get over his striker bias to buy that one, although honestly it would make the most sense from a size, weight and shootability perspective yet still have a long first pull, and a decocker.

-Mike

I like the HK P30SK is a bit thick but with the P2000 mag base it fits my hand great. You can find a deal on the LE versions( 3 mags and real night sights) if you shop.

considering the following autos for carry, my requirements are simplistic- slim as hell grips,
Here's what I've narrowed things down to

Cz75 compact
Cz75b

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've got a Cz P-01 and a PCR, same size as the Cz 75 Compact. They are not "slim as hell". I put some vz grips on mine and while thinner than stock, still not super thin. That said, the Cz compacts are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

The RAMI BD has a decocker, like the P-01.

I've got a Cz P-01 and a PCR, same size as the Cz 75 Compact. They are not "slim as hell". I put some vz grips on mine and while thinner than stock, still not super thin. That said, the Cz compacts are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

The RAMI BD has a decocker, like the P-01.
I'd love a P-01

A CZ75B is a good, inexpensive pistol. Person I know has one and it's fun to shoot and hasn't had any issue after 1000 rounds. Theirs is the CZ75B Stainless.

It isn't a slim gun. It's slimmer than a Beretta 92FS but it's nothing in comparison to a 1911. The trigger on the CZ is ok, but I would have to lighten it if it were my gun. Mags aren't cheap. I don't have anything against the DA/SA on a non-decocker CZ75 since it can be carried with the hammer cocked and safety on, but I'd rather have SAO.

A USP Compact is $880 + shipping from Bud's, so it's more than some Colt 1911s are going for now, like the new model Series 70. If you want a slim gun, I'd just get a .38 Super or .45ACP 1911, depending on what company I went with. CZ makes a sweet 1911, only thing missing is night sights and that's not hard to get taken care of.

Last edited:
My favorite compact semi auto is the S&W 6906. Good trigger, great sights (Novak) and a 12 round mag. 3.25 barrel and slide makes it small enough for concealed carry but allows acceptable accuracy out to 50 yds. I just can't understand why S&W stopped making their great steel/aluminum pistols.

My favorite compact semi auto is the Santa S&W 6906. Good trigger, great sights (Novak) and a 12 round mag. 3.25 barrel and slide makes it small enough for concealed carry but allows acceptable accuracy out to 50 yds. I just can't understand why S&W stopped making their great steel/aluminum pistols.

I can't either but I guess they believe and probably rightly so that polymer striker fired pistols are the wave of the future. It hasn't stopped Sig from introducing new models though.

S&W will make 3rd Gen on special order for agencies. Did some 45's for WV Hi Way Patrol.

As usual, nes delivers on the advice. Should have clarified on "slim" - by that I mean grips....which is why I looked to the Czech and Israeli offerings. I'll definitely check out the sig e2 grips.

Part of me is thinking 1911 again as well, providing I can get used to cocked and locked.

As usual, nes delivers on the advice. Should have clarified on "slim" - by that I mean grips....which is why I looked to the Czech and Israeli offerings. I'll definitely check out the sig e2 grips.

Part of me is thinking 1911 again as well, providing I can get used to cocked and locked.

If you get a CZ without a decocker, you'll probably carry it C/L. The safety won't engage when the hammer's not cocked, so it can be carried either with an empty chamber and hammer not cocked or it can be carried C/L. Carrying it with the safety off and an empty chamber does not seem like a wise idea.

Not being able to carry C/L is one of the things I hate about my Beretta. A 12, 13lbs first trigger pull isn't conducive to accuracy.

Also there is Tanfoglio/EAA Witness, if you're interested in CZ clones. If you do get comfortable with the idea of C/L but still want more than 10 shots, there's also the Browning Hi Power which is more expensive than the USP. The BHP I shot was the most accurate (and best looking) pistol I've ever shot. I was shooting one big hole, rather than a bunch of small .355" holes.

http://www.tanfoglio.it/eng/home.php

http://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=007B

Why not a PM9 or P9? The trigger is basically a smooth DAO. Everytime I shoot my wife's kahrs I am reminded how nice they shoot.

I like the HK P30SK is a bit thick but with the P2000 mag base it fits my hand great. You can find a deal on the LE versions( 3 mags and real night sights) if you shop.

This.

for DA/SA carry, would go either CZ 75 RAMI or even better, P30SK V3 but NOT the MA model one w thumb safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Another vote for the Sig P225 if you can find one. If you like the P226 but want single stack, smaller/thinner grips, then it is perfect.

The P225 has rather long grip length. Personally I find this dimension to be most limiting measurement for IWB.

Based on your requirements, I'd recommend the S&W Third Gen 6906 or 39xx series. Those things just run and run and run...

The P225 has rather long grip length. Personally I find this dimension to be most limiting measurement for IWB.
Stealing this chart from another forum. The OP there sorted these by height because it's his belief that is the one of the most limiting factors for concealment. He bolded the Glock 19 as the "standard" most people go by. Oh the H=hammer fired, the S=striker fired:
NB: H = Hammer, S = Striker

PISTOL SIZE COMPARISON - Dec 2015

H Sig Sp2022 Length 7.4" Height 5.7" Barrel 3.9" Width 1.4" 15 Rds

S M&P FS9 Length 7.6" Height 5.5" Barrel 4.3" Width 1.2" 17 rds

S HK VP9 Length 7.3" Height 5.4" Barrel 4.1" Width 1.3" 15 rds

H Sig P229. Length 7.1" Height 5.4" Barrel 3.9" Width 1.5" 10/13 Rds

CZ P-07 Length 7.2" Height 5.3" Barrel Width 1.5" 15 Rds

S Sig P320 C Length 7.2" Height 5.3" Barrel 3.9" Width 1.3" 15 rds

S Walther PPQ Length 7.1" Height 5.3" Barrel 4.0" Width 1.3" 15 Rds

H Sig P239 Length 6.6" Height 5.1" Barrel 3.2" Width 1.2" 8 Rds

S Glock 19 Length 7.4" Height 5.0" Barrel: 4.0" width 1.2" 15 rds

H PX4 Storm C Length 6.8" Height 5.0" Barrel 3.3" Width 1.4" 15 Rds

H HK USP C Length 6.8" Height 5.0" Barrel 3.6" Width 1.3" 10/13 Rds

H HK P2000 Length 6.8" Height 5.0" Barrel 3.7" Width 1.4" 10/13 Rds

S Sig P320SK. Length 6.7" Height 4.7" Barrel 3.6" Width 1.1" 12 Rds

H HK P2000SK Length 6.4" Height 4.6" Barrel 3.3" Width 1.3" 10 Rds

H HK P30 SK Length 6.4" Height 4.6" Barrel 3.3" Width 1.3" 10 Rds

S S&W Shield Length 6.1" Height 4.6" Barrel 3.1" Width 0.9" 7/8 Rds

S Walther PPS Length 6.3" Height 4.4" Barrel 3.2" Width 0.9" 6/7 Rds

S Glock 43. Length 6.3" Height 4.3" Barrel 3.4" Width 1.0 " 6 Rds

H Kahr PM9. Length 5.3" Height 4.0" Barrel 3.1" Width 0.9" 6/7 Rds

I would like to have added "Loaded weight" to the list as well but then again, I didn't make the chart.

Aloha

edit: interesting to note that the Beretta 92 has the same height as the SIG 229 and H&K VP9.... just saying....

Last edited:
Had a 6906 (later version). Loved shooting it. Sold it because, well, I'm stupid and I do things like that. Would love to get one back. Realize that mags can be tough to find and you are not going to get a lot of Customer Support from S&W anymore. :( Damn plastic striker guns. :D

Aloha

Just finished watching reservoir dogs....any thoughts on that 659?

Grip may be a little thick for you, but 2nd Gen S&W Semis were solid performers. Weight wise a little heavy and DA/SA pull a little "crunchenticker" by today's standards. I'd never feel undergunned with one. I'd probably opt for the 459 though, same gun with alloy frame. Actually, the best of the 2nd Gens IMO would be the single stacks: 439, 539 or 639 if you can find one. The original 39 (actually 39-2) remains a personal fave of mine because if its looks, point ability and for me superior ergonomics. A classic of classics, not drop proof. Replace firing pin spring with a Wulff and you are GTG.

Back
Top Bottom