EOTECH sight for my new AR15 - INPUT PLEASE

icyclefar

NES Member
I am considering the purchase of an Eotech 511 or 512 for my new Busy Pre Ban AR15, and I am curious to hear everyones comments on these sights. In spite of the lesser battery life, I am leaning to the N cell unit because of it's smaller size over the unit that runs on AA's. I plan on adding a A.R.M.S. #40 BUIS behind the Eotech.

Any comments, suggestions, and first hand experiences appreciated.

Nice sight but not really the precision (non-magnified) optic I expected. For CQ it is great, but I shoot better with iron sights at anything beyond 50 yards.

I have found the 1moa dot to be very precise at distance, the 65moa is great at close range, medium range depends on the the size of the target, but I have found that on a IPSC target that the sight is fast and accurate.

I prefer it to the aimpoint, but it comes down to personal preferrence.

I use the N batteries because I like the smaller size Eotech, since I shoot a small size AR

I think it's the most fun thing you can put on top of an AR. The outer circle is surprisingly large, and I wished there was a way to turn it off, but that's kinda part of the fun after you get used to it. Get the AA version... Running out of batteries sucks (I keep leaving my Kobra on in the safe) a lot more than losing less than an inch of real estate. There was still plenty of room for the BUIS.

Last edited:
I think it's the most fun thing you can put on top of an AR. The outer circle is surprisingly large, and I wished there was a way to turn it off, but that's kinda part of the fun after you get used to it. Get the AA version... Running out of batteries sucks (I keep leaving my Kobra on in the safe) a lot more than losing less than an inch of real estate. There was still plenty of room for the BUIS.

+1

I was going to buy one (a 512) when I ran into a used Aimpoint Comp C for $275. Couldn't pass up that deal.

i have the newest version eotech on my ar...its the night vision compatible AA one...think its the 552...out of all the optics i tried this one was best as far accuracy, ease of use, sight picture and eye relief...try different ones if you can and see what works for you...i tried about 4 different style optics at a 3 gun shoot and chose the eotech as my favorite

before an Eotech, i'd stick a Cmore railway on there, an old Bushnell holosight, the predecessor to the Eotech sight that is around today, or an Aimpoint like others have mentioned.
I cant justifiy spending so much more money on an Eotech over the other sights mentioned for no real benefit in performance over the other sights for the recreational shooter. I also dont like how the viewing screen of the new Eotechs are set up higher than those other sights. But if you like it, have tried it, and dont have an issue with the cost, get what you like.

before an Eotech, i'd stick a Cmore railway on there, an old Bushnell holosight, the predecessor to the Eotech sight that is around today, or an Aimpoint like others have mentioned.
I cant justifiy spending so much more money on an Eotech over the other sights mentioned for no real benefit in performance over the other sights for the recreational shooter. I also dont like how the viewing screen of the new Eotechs are set up higher than those other sights. But if you like it, have tried it, and dont have an issue with the cost, get what you like.
The two EOTechs icyclefar mentioned (the 511 and the 512) cost about $350 NIB. Guess how much an Aimpoint Comp C3 costs? The same.

If the rifle is ever going to be more than just a plinker, get the good stuff made to a quality level that Uncle Sam will buy.

I didn't recommend the aimpoint comp c3, nor did anyone else.
It was mentioned in one other post that someone got a deal on one. That's all. Since Aimpoint makes various other dot sights, such as an M2 over $100 less than the comp C3, and the comp Xd, which you can usually find used on the IPSC market for 100 or less, why would you assume the recomendation was strictly for the brand new comp C3? and imply that the other sights are not made to a good quality level?
The main reason most of those sights are even being purchased by the government is the beatings that the competition shooters have put them through, and the findings that yeah, these things work.

As for the eotech, unless you're using night vision, show me a reason why you'd buy the 552 or 512/511 instead of the over $100 cheaper same thing Bushnell Holosight for $211

I'll even through out there that a tasco propoint will do just fine.
Unless we hear the rifle is going to be used on night raids, or for a member of a swat unit, or icyclefar just has unlimited funds and can buy whatever he wants and if he doesnt like it throw it in a drawer, it's just bad advice to tell a guy to spend almost half the price of the rifle on a red dot scope.

Oh you guys are all wrong! [smile]

The correct answer is one of the 1-3or4x variable scopes on the market. Find one with an illuminated reticle and it can do everything a red dot can do and more.

Unless we hear the rifle is going to be used on night raids, or for a member of a swat unit, or icyclefar just has unlimited funds and can buy whatever he wants and if he doesnt like it throw it in a drawer, it's just bad advice to tell a guy to spend almost half the price of the rifle on a red dot scope.

Optical instruments is still one area of products where there is NO way around the old adage of "you get what you pay for". I've learned that lesson the HARD way, I am not going to repeat the mistakes I've made, and I am trying to keep someone else from making them.

You can think the cheapos are good enough. I disagree and have good reason to do so.

I do not hesitate to drop 50% to 100% the cost of a rifle in optical sights and mounts for them because there is a significant difference in performance between cheap and well made pieces of both. And that not only goes for my "military" rifles, but also for my wood and blue fudd guns as well.

Buying a POS optic and then deciding one does not like it, or it goes Tango Uniform, is the true waste of money. If it is out of warranty, often the fix is more expensive than a new unit. And if you don't like it and want to unload it, good luck finding a knowledgeable shooter who will even consider it. I guess there's always some chump who thinks cheap glass is a good idea......

ETA: the fact that you think the EOTech 512 is a night vision capable unit and the fact that you think that the Bushnell Holosight is the "same" thing as an EOTech 500 series tells me all I need to know about your base of knowledge.

I've got this one: http://www.swfa.com/p-6611-meopta-1-4x22-meostar-r1-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx I paid less though. I'm still learning with it but it does just what I want it to. I haven't shot an Acog but I know some of the guys that have both are using the 1-4x because at 1x it is like a red dot.

Jose,
Matt finish in the top 40 at the Handgun Nationals with a red dot gun. His point is that the average go-to-the-range-and-plink shooter will never see the difference that separates the pro-grade Eotech from the sporting-grade Bushnell. They are still a step up from the Wally world ones, that even have a following themselves. He doesn't know the Eotech model numbers off hand but I know he has shot with a Bushnell on pistol, rifles, and shotguns with success for years and it is still ticking.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, but I don't believe my credibility needs to be defended. There are enough people on this forum who I have shot with or know me, my results speak for themselves and are verifiable, I don't have to worry about someone saying I have no base of knowledge. I referenced only the 552 model when discussing night vision, then the 512/511 in the same sentence as seeing no reason why you'd spend the extra money. I actually do know the difference.

I see the question to explain the differences and benefits of the EOTECH 511/512 vs the current Bushnell Holosight was completely ignored. Other than being $100 more, you don't need an allen wrench to put the scope on your weaver rails.

For those with reading comprehension problems, I never said the cheapos were good enough. I wouldn't call a Cmore, running around $275, a cheapo, the Bushnell, $211 from Zander's, the Aimpoints in the $200s and up, and some of the older ones in the $100s. I'd consider the BSA 40 mm and 50mm red dots from walmart and dick's to be cheapos ($30). I never recommended them. But I suppose I'm the chump who feels the C-More or the other recommended sights I mentioned are cheap glass. I'd say the Meopta that Steve has and mentioned is awesome, the only drawback being you're looking through a tube and lose some of your peripheral vision when using it. But it's a red dot sight with magnification if you want it, very nice, it eliminates the need for someone to stick a dot and a magnification sight on their rifle should they want both options.

This is has been a classic example of what the internet has brought us.
There are some who actually have accomplished something.
and there are those who just have something.
Those who just have something will run their fingers over the keyboard to defend that item because they own it, it cost a lot, therefore, it must be the best, and you'd be a dope to even consider spending less on something else.

Then, there are those who actually have accomplished something. They have used the various scopes and combinations of scopes and put them through thousands of rounds in various applications over time and have useful advice, and pretty often they find out that you can pay too much for what you get. This offends those who just have something.

Typical ignorant statements are similar to: it's good enough for Uncle Sam, therefore it's the best, you need it, I wouldn't trust any other type.
Yeah, Uncle Sam, he's the great authority on what works. How's that Osprey working out for the Marines? How's that Beretta 9mm working out for our soldiers?
Uncle Sam's knowledge base is a great one to follow. Everyone should blindly follow him without knowing what their own application may be. We should all drive Humvee's too.

Tango Uniform? This is typical gun store commando, mall ninja talk of people who wait around for the zombie ninja bears to attack, and are worried about the latest SHTF scenario. Ok, get your equipment that matches the same thing you saw on a picture of a gun in Iraq, just incase the UN comes to take our guns. We can stand up to them, I saw Red Dawn, I'll get a few of my buddies together and we can be the Wolverines and we will hold off a trained military unit. My buddy has a bunch of MRE's stocked up from the Y2K scare, we can hole up at his place, I put all my N size batteries there too!

This is Northeastshooters.com, "New England's Premier Shooting Forum", those of us living here tend to know what the shooters in this section of the country have available to them. In New England, specifically, South Shore, where Icyclefar is listed as from, there are very few long distance rifle ranges, the majority of gun clubs in this area have 100-200 yard ranges, max. We don't have the ranges with facilities like PASA Park in Illinois, there isn't a single range like that in New England. So, suggesting someone spend all they can on a rifle scope before knowing what they want to use it for, in this area is absurd. What's the best they could buy? A Swarovski wouldn't be a bad choice, neither would a Zeiss, but are they going to be any more useful around here than a Simmons ProHunter for $65? Not a chance.

So, in summary, would I recommend putting an Eotech 511 or 512 on an AR15 when there are many other options which will do everything that sight does for $100 or more less?

NO WAY JOSE

Matt, you're not the only one with experience with optics here. I'm not going to waste my time going through your lengthy justification of why your opinion is better. I have better things to do.

And the Tango Uniform bit. That's actually military slang for tits up (broken). I think my ten years of service in the USN give me some clearance to use military slang. If I may have your permission.

I have a Nikon ProStaff 3x9 and a Bushnell HOLOSight on my JP CTR-02.

Matt - how did that work out on the 300 yard stage at the Area 7 3 Gun Championship?

Jose-
A lot of folks here have experience with optics here.
You may be one of them, but that or your military service doesn't give the justification to be condescending.

Look! I have a way to settle this once and for all!

Each of you buy me the optic of your choice.

I promise to test fire each and every one of them.

Don't worry, I will not charge you for the ammo.

At the conclusion of the testing, I will purchase the optic I like best.

Purchase price will be 1/2 of original cost, after all it will be a well used item at this point.

Payment to be made by PayPal ........... you eat the fee!

PM me for shipping address.

In all seriousness ladies and gents, thank you for all your advice!

In the end, I think I am still on the same fence I started on, Eotech or Aimpoint. I understand that they are both pricey, but they are both well reviewed, seem to be reliable, and built to last.

I think I will probably go with the Eotech for the following reasons.

1. I like the reticle
2. I like the compact size.
3. I like that it is "plug and play" the sight lines work without adapters.
4. I like what I hear about the company's customer service
5. I like to buy what I like

I'll keep you all posted

AT EASE

Bickering aside I also have found this thread very informative. I have an Eotech on my H&K USC and I love it. Easy to install, easy to sight in, dead on accurate and very fast target acquisition. However, I just purchased a Springfield Socom II and am debating on the appropriate optics. Like icyclefar I was on the fence between Eotech and Aimpoint, but the opinions voiced here were interesting. The thoughts by 38supermatt certainly give food for thought. thanks for the info.

The only ones I have used are the Aimpoint on my CAR-15. It came that way (flat-top) and I love it.

When the UltraDot was on my Wife's S&W 622 (pistol) she and I both loved it. Easy target acquisition which is key. When I get an AimTech mount for that gun, it will be back on it (the standard mount screws stripped out of the Aluminum upper).

I have a spare Aimpoint that I picked up. So far it sits in the safe. Eventually I'll figure out a gun to mount it on! [wink]

I did a lot of reading over the years on the AR15-eList and the vast majority (lots of ex-mil folks) love the Aimpoint! There was also an Israeli unit that got rave reviews . . . regrettably the mfr is out of that business (I confirmed same when I was in Tel Aviv back in 2000 by phone call to the company).

I have some experience with the Trijicons. I shoot with the TA11F 3.5x red chevron reticle w/BDC and find it an excellent optic. Pricey ($975). Personally I'd rather have the new amber chevron because my eye's pick that color up better in very low light. Notwithstanding The TA11 is my favorite scope. Great mid to long range shots, Good in low to no light. Bullet proof.

My wife shoots a Trijicon compact Acog 2x20 amber triangle on her M4, also pricey ($700) and loves it. Good for close and long range and weighs practically nothing. Great in low to no light. Also extremely rugged.

I also have an Aimpoint CompM3 on my carbine and an Eotech 512 on a shotgun. Hard to choose between them they are both excellent close to mid range optics. I like the long battery life on the CompM3 and the single 2 Moa Dot though. I find the field of view is better with the Eotech and you might find hitting "stuff" on the run is a little easier with the 65 moa outer circle. Easier on the wallet also.

dsc00874op8.jpg

I almost choked when I saw the price on the Schmidt & Bender 1-4x.

I had to go to the site three times before I believed the price. Holy Multi-coating Batman....my car is worth less than that!!!!

Never even heard of them, I thought Leopold or Swarovski and Zeiss were good glass...can't imagine this brand....but I want one

Back
Top Bottom