EOTECH sight for my new AR15 - INPUT PLEASE

One thing not mentioned is the inherent durability of a quality optic. The Eotech is really well built and will withstand getting knocked around much better than a cheaper brand.

Another issue I have had with cheap red dots like BSA is that they wash out in bright sunlight. Although I have yet to have one fail even on a .308

Typical ignorant statements are similar to: it's good enough for Uncle Sam, therefore it's the best, you need it, I wouldn't trust any other type.
Yeah, Uncle Sam, he's the great authority on what works. How's that Osprey working out for the Marines? How's that Beretta 9mm working out for our soldiers?
Uncle Sam's knowledge base is a great one to follow. Everyone should blindly follow him without knowing what their own application may be. We should all drive Humvee's too.

+1. I don't get it. Why does everyone always think that the Government buys such good stuff? The Government buys from the low bidder. End of story. That is rarely the best stuff. Usually it's an average product that a company will provide cheap to the Government in the hopes that they will make a huge profit when the rest of the country runs out and buys it because they think it's a good product because the Government is using it.

-Cuz.

I use two optics one is the Trijicon reflex, other is the Trijicon TR21 1.5-4. I like them both for different reasons. I find the TR21 to be excellent. Once I got used to using it two eyes open, it broadened my field of vision. The reflex works the same for me without the magnification.

By joining the Trijicon Shooters program, they can be purchased at Distributor cost saving a lot. I am luck to have a customer that Reps trijicon and Zeiss so I have had a chance to try before I buy.

If Icyclefar wants to try either of these optics on my rifles, send me a PM and we can meet up on a weekend for a test drive.

Regards,

+1. I don't get it. Why does everyone always think that the Government buys such good stuff? The Government buys from the low bidder. End of story.

That isn't necessarily true, depending on who's buying what. "the lowest bidder"
isn't necessarily always the winner. Aimpoints and Eotechs are
perfect examples of this. I'm sure some other company tried to lowball
their way in, but failed because their sights couldn't withstand the same
level of abuse, etc... or didn't meet certain requirements.

I do believe, however, that whatever the feds use isn't the be all end all. There
obviously is a lot more "useable" product out there than just whatever
the military is using.

-Mike

+1. I don't get it. Why does everyone always think that the Government buys such good stuff? The Government buys from the low bidder. End of story. That is rarely the best stuff. Usually it's an average product that a company will provide cheap to the Government in the hopes that they will make a huge profit when the rest of the country runs out and buys it because they think it's a good product because the Government is using it.

-Cuz.

Very insightful analysis. [rolleyes]

I'm sure all the equipment I used to monitor and control the reactors on the USS Nimitz were total cheap POS.

Controlling reactors on the USS Nimitz?
I'm sure there was a ton of use for small arms on- AN AIRCRAFT CARRIER
God knows insurgents are running up on that everyday so you know how a scope holds up to constant abuse from a gun with decent recoil. That reactor gets out of control, you best shoot it. Perhaps the US Navy needs some awesome scopes to hold off those swimming suicide bombers.

Guys, an EOTECH or Bushnell Holosight will not hold up to thousands of rounds of 38 super, 45acp, 40S&W, 12 ga in an auto, or 308 recoil, it will hold up to lots of 223 recoil on a rifle, probably tens of thousands of rounds.
But they have this stupid little board inside them, almost like a board inside your computer, that can't take a beating. You'll be shooting some day, and suddenly, your reticle is gone. Awww, I can see what i'm aiming at and shooting at but my reticle is gone, not sure if i'm on the target. Not a big deal if you're a seaman, you have 17 inch or so guns, some harriers and some other air support. BIG deal if you're depending on that as your only gun.
HUGE deal if you're competing for a national championship title or using that as some sort of tactical weapon. If you want to just sling a gun for hours, then it's your scope. Beat the hell out of it, and it's not the scope for you.

If Roundgun shooter will offer you use of trijicons, i'll offer you the use of cmores, holosights, propoints, and anything else I have laying around here. Which is plenty, i'm right on the RI border if you want to come by.

And for the record, I find Tits Up pretty useful, and I have no problem doing all the work. "Ya know, I could eat a peach for hours" - Castor Troy, Face Off

Controlling reactors on the USS Nimitz?
I'm sure there was a ton of use for small arms on- AN AIRCRAFT CARRIER
God knows insurgents are running up on that everyday so you know how a scope holds up to constant abuse from a gun with decent recoil. That reactor gets out of control, you best shoot it. Perhaps the US Navy needs some awesome scopes to hold off those swimming suicide bombers.
This comment is too stupid to reply to.

Guys, an EOTECH or Bushnell Holosight will not hold up to thousands of rounds of 38 super, 45acp, 40S&W, 12 ga in an auto, or 308 recoil, it will hold up to lots of 223 recoil on a rifle, probably tens of thousands of rounds.
But they have this stupid little board inside them, almost like a board inside your computer, that can't take a beating. You'll be shooting some day, and suddenly, your reticle is gone. Awww, I can see what i'm aiming at and shooting at but my reticle is gone, not sure if i'm on the target. Not a big deal if you're a seaman, you have 17 inch or so guns, some harriers and some other air support. BIG deal if you're depending on that as your only gun.
HUGE deal if you're competing for a national championship title or using that as some sort of tactical weapon. If you want to just sling a gun for hours, then it's your scope. Beat the hell out of it, and it's not the scope for you.f
Yep, that must be why USSOCOM has selected the EOTech 553 to be their new CQB sight.

They are just couch commandos. We should listen to you instead.

Yep, that must be why USSOCOM has selected the EOTech 553 to be their new CQB sight.

Not to get into the middle of this but it may also be the reason most true operators are buying their own ACOGS. Many with the JP reticle.

Knowing the 38SuperMatt, his experience, and his quest for the best. I must trust his judgment as it is based on his experience and those he has first hand experience with.

The OP seems to have wisely jumped away from this, think I will do the same.

Happy New Year,

RGS

RGS,

I think getting the ACOGS is a matter of preference concerning target acquisition... I know Marines and Soldiers over there now who use both. The ones who have gone away from standard issued optics did so not because of reliability but because of personal opinion on how quickly one can pick up and return fire on a target.

Me, never having been on a two way range, I prefer the Eotech over the ACOG... It's just a personal preference...

I do know that if there was any reliability issues with the Eotech they would be issuing a different optic… Just my .02, take it for what it’s worth. [smile]

At the risk of drifting the thread, but maybe not, because it seems to be
relevant... I have a few questions/observations myself.....

-Anyone here notice that sometimes an EOTECH reticle is fuzzy, or at
least appears to be fuzzy? Weird thing is I've seen different rifles
where the reticle looked clearer, maybe its an eye relief/focus thing?

-What would you guys do on an AR that doesn't have a flattop
receiver? (carry handle only) Am I better off going with something
catered to carry handle use, or should I get one of those weird gooseneck
mounts and set it up with a co-witnessed aimpoint instead? Or is
putting a scope on an A2 gun a dumb idea all the way around (because of the
cheek weld issue) and I'm better off just getting another upper and leaving my
old upper irons-only? FWIW, this particular AR will likely never be used past
200 yards, so not sure if that makes a difference in opinion... and even that it'll
-mostly- be used inside 100 yards.

-Mike

-Mike

The dot it focused to infinity, so if you try to focus your eye to the dot it will appear fuzzy, if you eyes can't focus to the target, then it will appear fuzzy also. I have to wear glasses when I shot with a red dot

But also the dot on the eotech is made up of alot of tiny dots, so it is not as sharp as a single dot

drgrant, I use an Aimpoint with an ARMS #16 on the carry handle. The cheek weld issue I have solved by getting a Cherokee Delta cheekpiece. I happy with it. The only thing is that the cheekpiece has to come off to use irons. It clamshells around the stock with two screws holding it together.

http://www.cheekpieces.com

ar15.jpg

Bushmaster 20" on the left, Colt Match Target M4 on the right.

I got an EOTECH without the night vision compatible with AA batteries for my AR-15 (i dunno what the number is, maybe 512?) and I love it.

It is nice and low, and totally lines up with my flip up rear sight. Everything is perfectly co-witnessed. I love the big circle and than the small dot in the center, very easy to pick up in bright settings (sunny days). It hasn't budged and inch since I put it on, and while the AA batteries make it a bit longer, there is more than enough room behind it to mount buis (you can have it hang over the front of the rail, isn't a problem, mine just protrudes over a little bit, on top of the standard forearm collar).

This is a no-nonsense sight, and trust me, you'll like having AA, because it is such a pain in the butt to run out of batteries and wait a week for new ones to arrive in the mail. I switched from another red dot that took some weird flat battery that I could never find in a store.

-Mike

That's normal...

The reticle is fuzzy/ has a 'halo' effect/ has more than one reticle:

The reticle is naturally pixilated and the outer circle will appear to be made up of many small dots. The center circle will still be distinguishable as one dot.

1. Lower the brightness level of the reticle. This fault is generally caused by the reticle brightness being too high. The reticle is not designed to be so bright as to block the target.
2. The reticle is projected onto your target plane. You must focus on it like you would any other object at that distance. Do NOT focus on the sight housing like other reflex sights; focus on your target. The outer ring is designed to be a reference to center, similar to a ghost ring.
3. If you wear corrective lenses for nearsightedness, you will require them to see the reticle in focus as it is projected onto the target plane. If you wear bifocals or have astigmatism, you may see a distorted reticle.
4. Check with others who have used the sight, and compare what you see to ensure it is not your focal acuity prior to turning the sight in for repair.
5. Contact Customer Service.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/cust_troubleshooting.php

Normally, I don't wear any type of corrective lens, but I do have a pair of low magnification eyeglasses that I keep in my range box.

The EoTech reticle will look a tad hazy to me without the glasses. When I put them on, there's quite a bit of difference in clarity.

I switched from another red dot that took some weird flat battery that I could never find in a store.

Aimpoint? [smile]

I was worried about finding 1/3N batteries for mine, until I realized they last like two years (I have an older model) with the unit on on low power. Even that, I keep mine off until I need it, the Larue mount I use has a battery storage compartment lined with dielectric grease, and my local camera shop stocks them. The new generation aimpoints have a 50K hour battery life with the unit on low power.

That said, you can find litium N, AA, and CR123 batteries (what the different EOTech variants use) at any Walgreens where I live.

This is a no-nonsense sight, and trust me, you'll like having AA, because it is such a pain in the butt to run out of batteries and wait a week for new ones to arrive in the mail. I switched from another red dot that took some weird flat battery that I could never find in a store.

Arrive in the mail? Mine is a 510 (N batteries). I keep a spare set in the pistol grip (with grip plug). I've never had a problem finding them anywhere (CVS, Walgreens, Staples, etc).

This comment is too stupid to reply to.

What? i can't hear you, I'm busy actually shooting, and accomplishing things, not just babysitting, I mean, guarding things.

I sit on the couch too, and I can sit on the couch better than anyone.
I recommend Lazy Boy recliner, model 810 "the PATRICK"
http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture/enlarge.aspx?pid=5077&main=GL863750
it's the EOTECH of recliners
(in tactical black of course, so I can blend in and be invisible when I'm wearing my 5.11 pants as I rest up before I take my tactical self up to my room and sit in front of the computer and talk about shooting, because I have more posts this year than rounds fired.)

I sit on the couch too, and I can sit on the couch better than anyone.
I recommend Lazy Boy recliner, model 810 "the PATRICK"
http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture/enlarge.aspx?pid=5077&main=GL863750
it's the EOTECH of recliners
(in tactical black of course, so I can blend in and be invisible when I'm wearing my 5.11 pants as I rest up before I take my tactical self up to my room and sit in front of the computer and talk about shooting, because I have more posts this year than rounds fired.)

Maybe if you spent less time shooting and more time sitting on your ass, then you would know this is the Eotech of chairs... http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=657 all it needs is a built in toilet[grin]

You maybe a master level shooter but I am a GM in laziness...[smile]

Back
Top Bottom