Entry level trap shot gun recommendation ?

12 ga.

One that fits you.

If you don't know what fits you, go to your Club and tell the Trapezoids that you want to play. You'll likely be given several to try. The one that feels best will likely be the best one for you.

I prefer a semi-auto. Lots of people go O/U. Pumps work.

it's all about fit. NO fit, NO hit.

You're in Eastern Mass. Come out to Southborough Rod and Gun this Thursday (6-9 PM), and you can try a few.

www.southboroughrodandgun.com

Others' opinions are not relevant. Just what works for you. If it's entry level, then what's "right" may change between now, and when it's Trap For Real. [laugh]

Looking for recommendation for entry level trap shotgun.

Over under? Semi auto?

This would be a trap only shotgun.

A) don't buy till you find what fits you.

B) My personal picks:
BT 99 with adjustable stock
Browning Citori Crossover

Either will run you $1500-$1800

But you can do just as good with a pump that fits. Remington 870 with adjustable stock could bring you pretty far. (#3)

http://www.billdavisenterprises.com/Adjustable-Stocks.html

C) Ignore item B and see A. Go and shoot and see what fits you. Money and reputation doesn't mean much if it doesn't fit.

D) what's your budget?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of a Browning BT-99 for american trap singles. There are plenty around and you should be able to find a used one in the $800-$1200 range. I'm a fan of adjustable combs.

A BT-99 will allow you to focus on the sport because the gun is rock solid easy to maintain.

12 ga.

One that fits you.

If you don't know what fits you, go to your Club and tell the Trapezoids that you want to play. You'll likely be given several to try. The one that feels best will likely be the best one for you.

I prefer a semi-auto. Lots of people go O/U. Pumps work.

it's all about fit. NO fit, NO hit.

You're in Eastern Mass. Come out to Southborough Rod and Gun this Thursday (6-9 PM), and you can try a few.

www.southboroughrodandgun.com

Others' opinions are not relevant. Just what works for you. If it's entry level, then what's "right" may change between now, and when it's Trap For Real. [laugh]

This right here. It's entirely about what fits you. If a Remington 870 is what fits you, then don't listen to anyone who might try to gun shame you. Just go shoot a 25 with it and they will shut up fast.

Go see your local trap guys and most of them will happily lend you their gun to try. Or come see us out at SRG if it's not too far and MisterHappy can take care of you. I'm usually there for trap as well and you're welcome to try whatever I've got with me.

This right here. It's entirely about what fits you. If a Remington 870 is what fits you, then don't listen to anyone who might try to gun shame you. Just go shoot a 25 with it and they will shut up fast.

Go see your local trap guys and most of them will happily lend you their gun to try. Or come see us out at SRG if it's not too far and MisterHappy can take care of you. I'm usually there for trap as well and you're welcome to try whatever I've got with me.
There is a reason the first time I set foot on a trap field the first question someone asked was "do you own a shotgun?" And when I said no the response was "Good, DO NOT BUY ONE YET! Figure out what fits you first."

Granted noone seems to exactly figure it out before they get sick of asking to borrow (I don't think a dedicated trapezoid ever gets sick of lending first) and so the first gun is just a best attempt at finding a fit.

Another recommendation that you should heed, if your primary (or sole) use for the gun will be trap, is to avoid buying a lightweight field gun. I say that as somebody who shoots trap with lightweight O/U field guns. The thing is that I primarily bought those guns for other purposes and happen to shoot trap with them occasionally (not often enough to warrant buying a dedicated trap gun). The day after, my shoulder reminds me about why that's a bad decision.

I bought an O/U with trap doubles in mind.. if you don't ever plan to try trap or skeet doubles you can save some weight with a regular shotgun.

How much are you willing to pay? Why do you state it is a trap only gun?

I too like the BT99 and the Citori that I also own but I use a 391 Trap with adjustable stock that I also use in the field. With an auto loader you will want a shell catcher to avoid chasing your spent shells.

A buddy of mine told me he has tagged along a couple times at Holbrook and they lend him an old Mossy 500 and he had a great time.

I've shot a few 50 straight in my casual trap shooting.....all of them were with my mossy 500.

A crappy shotgun can be used at 16 yards with varying results, but it's the 27-yard handicap that separates the men from the boys. A real trap shotgun is needed for the handicap.

A crappy shotgun can be used at 16 yards with varying results, but it's the 27-yard handicap that separates the men from the boys. A real trap shotgun is needed for the handicap.

Please define "crappy shotgun". Do you mean any shotgun other than a dedicated trap gun? Im just trying to figure out what angle your coming from. I've seen more guys on the 16 yard line with kreighoff's and ceasar guarini guns hitting for 20-23 regularly than I see guys with those high end guns hitting 25 straight I'll tell you that!

I shoot trap with my hunting irons (auto 5 browning and Mossberg 500 and neither of which I would consider crappy.........I've harvested alot of game with those guns.......they mean alot to me). I regularly hit 24 and 25 with them from 16. Sure the 27 yard line will give me some trouble......but.....my point is there are alot of bmw and audi driving trapazoids out there with $6000 guns that can't hit a bull in the ass with a snow shovel.

A family friend of mine was a huge into trap competitions back in the 80s when it was all about the Remington 1100s......he hit 350 straight at one point. So......now that the fad has changed to spending thousands on over under guns from Europe have people's scores increased? I doubt it.

Learn to ****ing shoot before you drop thousands cuz......

The gun hits where you point it!

Back to the original post......it'll be awhile before you'll probably be shooting handicap in a league. Don't listen to the trapazoids and start off with a gun that costs you thousands. Contrary to what some of them think......you can't buy a better game. You actually need to know how to shoot.

Last edited:
Where do you plan to shoot? I shoot at taunton and there's plenty of guns and helpful people if your in the area

I have been wanting to try trap for a while and the reason why I haven't is because I only have an HD shotgun and I have been researching what trap/skeet gun to get.
Solution is more simple. Go try shotguns, then buy.

I started shooting trap with a used mossy 500 I paid $150 for. It was a fixed full choke 30 inch barrel. I've hit for 50 straight many times with that gun. I also hunt with it

As far as trap It's nice to have a longish barrel. 26-30 inch. Modified up to full choke works from the 16 yard line. If your hd gun is a mossy 500 or Remy 870 or something similar you can look around for a longer barrel and use the same gun.

Please define "crappy shotgun". Do you mean any shotgun other than a dedicated trap gun? Im just trying to figure out what angle your coming from. I've seen more guys on the 16 yard line with kreighoff's and ceasar guarini guns hitting for 20-23 regularly than I see guys with those high end guns hitting 25 straight I'll tell you that!

I shoot trap with my hunting irons (auto 5 browning and Mossberg 500 and neither of which I would consider crappy.........I've harvested alot of game with those guns.......they mean alot to me). I regularly hit 24 and 25 with them from 16. Sure the 27 yard line will give me some trouble......but.....my point is there are alot of bmw and audi driving trapazoids out there with $6000 guns that can't hit a bull in the ass with a snow shovel.

A family friend of mine was a huge into trap competitions back in the 80s when it was all about the Remington 1100s......he hit 350 straight at one point. So......now that the fad has changed to spending thousands on over under guns from Europe have people's scores increased? I doubt it.

Learn to ****ing shoot before you drop thousands cuz......

The gun hits where you point it!

"Learn to shoot before you drop thousands cuz..." Wow, now I know why your user name is whacko! I hit a raw nerve there somewhere.
There's nothing like shooting first and asking questions later. [laugh]

Where I'm coming from is that anyone that is seriously into Trap competitions doesn't use a "cheaper" pump shotgun like a Mossberg. The Mossberg will do just fine for casual trap shooting, but if it doesn't have a minimum of a 28" barrel, forget using it at longer distances, especially 27 yards, unless you're just shooting at continuous straight away birds. I too know guys with Kreighoffs and Caesar Guerinis that can't shoot for shiite at any distance.

I don't drive a BMW or an Audi, and an Audi wouldn't even be on my list for an expensive car.

My trap and sporting clay guns are a Remington 1100 Classic Trap and a Remington 1100 Competition; so I'm not in the Kreighoff or Guerini class. Many good shooters have won competitions using a Remington 1100.

"Learn to shoot before you drop thousands cuz..." Wow, now I know why your user name is whacko! I hit a raw nerve there somewhere.

Where I'm coming from is that anyone that is seriously into Trap competitions doesn't use a "cheaper" pump shotgun like a Mossberg. The Mossberg will do just fine for casual trap shooting, but if it doesn't have a minimum of a 28" barrel, forget using it at longer distances, especially 27 yards, unless you're just shooting at continuous straight away birds. I too know guys with Kreighoffs and Caesar Guerinis that can't shoot for shiite at any distance.

I don't drive a BMW or an Audi, and an Audi wouldn't even be on my list for an expensive car.

My trap and sporting clay guns are a Remington 1100 Classic Trap and a Remington 1100 Competition; so I'm not in the Kreighoff or Guerini class. Many good shooters have won competitions using a Remington 1100.

I never said you were the BMW driving trapazoids that sucks at trap.

The op is looking for an entry level trap gun. Your post points him in the direction that he might think he needs a higher end gun to start off with when he doesn't He may not know that the 27 yard line is something for "down the road".

Guess I took that and ran with it a little. [rofl]

Last edited:
Kittery Trading Post sells used barrels, try there if you need one....

Definitely check kittery that's where I picked up my slug barrel and a 28 inch barrel with changeable chokes. They are pretty reasonable prices on the used barrels too.

I've also purchased 5-6 ling guns up there. Sometimes they just follow you home.

all the guys I shoot with have O/U Citori's on up and 30+ inch barrels and my little 28' CZ Redhead Premier seems to consistently out shoot them. They used to tell me I was shooting handicapped with the shorter barrel but I've more than proved that theory wrong. I've also found alot more consistency using the Federal 7.5 shot target ammo over other 7.5 out there as far as store bought off the shelf ammo goes.

all the guys I shoot with have O/U Citori's on up and 30+ inch barrels and my little 28' CZ Redhead Premier seems to consistently out shoot them. They used to tell me I was shooting handicapped with the shorter barrel but I've more than proved that theory wrong. I've also found alot more consistency using the Federal 7.5 shot target ammo over other 7.5 out there as far as store bought off the shelf ammo goes.

They told you that 2 inch shorter barrel from the 16 yard line was a handicap? [rofl]

That right there is the exact thing I'm referring to when I talk about the "trapazoids". They talk more about the equipment than actual technique and skills required improve. Some of them think they have to buy the better scores. I absolutely love hitting 25 with a hunting pump gun next to the kreighoff wielding yuppie that hits 22.

Just Saturday I hit for 23 with a 410 lever action henry. They gun truly does hit where you point it.

Last edited:

I would trend towards that entry level gun for trap is likely not where someone stops if they really pick it up and start shooting ATA, etc.

There are guys who could shoot 25 or 50 straight, 2-3 shotguns ago but have still bought new stuff.

I think the biggest reason to not spend big bucks right at the outset is a newbie not being an informed consumer who knows what will actually help them.

My thoughts as someone completely new to the game (first round of trap last month, bought my gun last week, shot it for the first time this past Sunday) as well:

1. No matter what you get, as Mr. Happy says - make sure it fits you first. Also remember that, if you're like me, no matter what you get everything else you see out there will look like it's better in some way and you'll want to own them all eventually if you didn't need that money for things like food and bills. Be OK with that and use what you've got.

2. After looking at a number of guns, I settled on a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel as my first gun. Reason being that it's a decent all around gun that you can later modify with shorter barrel and extended tube for home defense or keep in the longer barrel for hunting and casual sport. As a pump, it works just fine for trap where you're shooting one at a time but I struggled when I tried 5 Stand at my club this past weekend as pumping it on the double targets can slow you down and change your aim/timing. I wasn't too bothered with that as I'm not playing for score as much as I am learning the gun and the game. I tried another member's semi-auto for a second round and that worked much better so I'd look into that for a second gun eventually, but this will do just fine for now where the limiting factor is my ability to aim and not the hardware. I've got pretty much everything I need to participate, learn, and eventually compete OK at trap for under $400 after tax including an new gun, a cleaning kit, a case, and a first box of shells which is not bad in my book.

Good luck and have fun.

My thoughts as someone completely new to the game (first round of trap last month, bought my gun last week, shot it for the first time this past Sunday) as well:

1. No matter what you get, as Mr. Happy says - make sure it fits you first. Also remember that, if you're like me, no matter what you get everything else you see out there will look like it's better in some way and you'll want to own them all eventually if you didn't need that money for things like food and bills. Be OK with that and use what you've got.

2. After looking at a number of guns, I settled on a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel as my first gun. Reason being that it's a decent all around gun that you can later modify with shorter barrel and extended tube for home defense or keep in the longer barrel for hunting and casual sport. As a pump, it works just fine for trap where you're shooting one at a time but I struggled when I tried 5 Stand at my club this past weekend as pumping it on the double targets can slow you down and change your aim/timing. I wasn't too bothered with that as I'm not playing for score as much as I am learning the gun and the game. I tried another member's semi-auto for a second round and that worked much better so I'd look into that for a second gun eventually, but this will do just fine for now where the limiting factor is my ability to aim and not the hardware. I've got pretty much everything I need to participate, learn, and eventually compete OK at trap for under $400 after tax including an new gun, a cleaning kit, a case, and a first box of shells which is not bad in my book.

Good luck and have fun.

Hopefully, I can explain this without making whacko go whacko again. [grin]

As mentioned earlier, a pump action can be used for casual trap. However, I can't imagine trap shooting 2 times a week shooting 3-5 rounds of trap with a pump. If the pump isn't a proper fit, it will bruise your shoulder and slap you in the face at the same time. That doesn't sound like fun for a morning or afternoon of shooting 100 rounds from a pump.

A more serious problem is developing a flinch due to the recoil of the pump. I've seen excellent shooters, even with o/u guns develop a flinch, and once that happens, their scores drop dramatically. If the flinching is really bad, the only way around it is for them to go with a semi or have a release trigger installed on their o/u. The release trigger works opposite of a "normal" trigger. You pull the trigger back, and the gun doesn't fire until you release the trigger. Although a release trigger sounds counterintuitive, that alone shows you how much of a mental game that trap can become.

When shooting trap, you need to be totally focused on what you are doing. If anything creeps into your mind with regard to recoil or an improperly fitted gun, a trap shooter is not going to do well.

Back
Top Bottom