Entry level trap shot gun recommendation ?

Yup, I've had a few of the Rio blue steel rounds either not fit in the chamber or refuse to come back out. The hulls are cheap, and you can reload them, but there are far better hull options for reloading.
Quite a few of the reloaders at my club use Gun Club hulls, they can reuse them 5-6 times before the hulls split. Plus they're abundant in availability, I give those guys my empties if they want them....

After reading everything here and and trying out about a dozen shotguns, I picked up my spankin' new Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon this morning. Sure, its not a top end Rolls Royce but I like the quality, workmanship, balance, and it just seemed to fit perfectly. I have a thin recoil pad that seems to work and I will shoot it stock for a while before changing anything. Thanks all for your generous input.

After reading everything here and and trying out about a dozen shotguns, I picked up my spankin' new Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon this morning. Sure, its not a top end Rolls Royce but I like the quality, workmanship, balance, and it just seemed to fit perfectly. I have a thin recoil pad that seems to work and I will shoot it stock for a while before changing anything. Thanks all for your generous input.

Sticking with what I have for now but have been doing a bit of research here and there. From what I've heard, only difference between your gun and Berettas more expensive models is the finish, quality of wood, engraving, etc. Otherwise it's the same gun. Was looking at that model myself, maybe someday. Let us know how you like it.

Nice choice.......can't go wrong with that one. Doesn't have to be all cake decorated with nice wood and fancy engraving to shoot well. In fact, with guns I shoot a lot, I'd rather them not be.

Good luck with it.

......I picked up my spankin' new Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon this morning.
nice choice! I shoot an older 682 sporting 30" i bought new in 1992. i shoot it extremely well at sporting and skeet. i had beretta fit it with a target forend that matched the rear butt stock, wasn't wild about the sporting forend. it's a shot gun i'll have until i die i like it that much. i shot another gun for trap. anyway, i wish you good shooting with it.

A fine choice. You can't go wrong with a "B" gun. They all have the quality that will allow you to get a lot of use out of them.

Nice choice.......can't go wrong with that one. Doesn't have to be all cake decorated with nice wood and fancy engraving to shoot well. In fact, with guns I shoot a lot, I'd rather them not be.

Good luck with it.

Yeah if you shoot it a lot there is bound to be some "honest wear" that will hurt pretty finishes and fancy wood. I wouldn't want to only have a gun that I was afraid something will happen during the normal course of participating in a sport. Then again some people would drive their Ferrari through puddles for fun and I wouldn't attempt to tell them how to treat their own stuff!

awesome and if you decide to up grade or do any stock work you have https://www.colegun.com/pages/the-stock-making-process
and or Joel Etchin guns

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/berettau.htm

both offer great work and guns....

Yeah if you shoot it a lot there is bound to be some "honest wear" that will hurt pretty finishes and fancy wood. I wouldn't want to only have a gun that I was afraid something will happen during the normal course of participating in a sport. Then again some people would drive their Ferrari through puddles for fun and I wouldn't attempt to tell them how to treat their own stuff!

Its a catch 22 with fancy or irreplaceable guns. I'd love to use them, but if something happens to it, I cringe. I know it's gay, Im getting over it as I get older, mainly because an expensive gun isn't as major a part of my budget as it once was. Honest use to me doesn't bother me like it used to. But your still not going to see me using 2K over an under as a boat paddle like some guys do.

Its a catch 22 with fancy or irreplaceable guns. I'd love to use them, but if something happens to it, I cringe. I know it's gay, Im getting over it as I get older, mainly because an expensive gun isn't as major a part of my budget as it once was. Honest use to me doesn't bother me like it used to. But your still not going to see me using 2K over an under as a boat paddle like some guys do.

Yeah I am with you. A 10K gun with fancy engraving and wood, I would probably be put off by the amount of worn finish and handful of dings that I have in the stock of my 2K O/U. Even with that minor wear I still like mine more than an unblemished version that sat in the safe because mine has been with me enjoying shooting.

HEY SOME OF US SHOULDN'T BE LOOKING AT THESE SITES BECAUSE THEY MAKE US PINE FOR NEW PRETTY GUNS THAT OUR WALLETS DON'T APPROVE OF!

nah.... the real problem is when your hand picking your wood blank for your stock and the consult is 1200$ and the cheapeast blank is 4k...before you even decide on platform!!

nah.... the real problem is when your hand picking your wood blank for your stock and the consult is 1200$ and the cheapeast blank is 4k...before you even decide on platform!!

It always makes me laugh when I hear the Sales VP at my company tell a customer "Based on the items you listing and the price-point you are quoting I think we might be in different marketplaces"

It always makes me laugh when I hear the Sales VP at my company tell a customer "Based on the items you listing and the price-point you are quoting I think we might be in different marketplaces"
Coles and Joel Etchen will even help us little guys. one of the guys I used to shoot trap with had his old 870 fitted with nice wood adjustable comb and adjustable recoil pad recoil reducer for affordable price. Looks really nice also.
I still like looking at all the fancy grade stocks though.

Coles and Joel Etchen will even help us little guys. one of the guys I used to shoot trap with had his old 870 fitted with nice wood adjustable comb and adjustable recoil pad recoil reducer for affordable price. Looks really nice also.
I still like looking at all the fancy grade stocks though.
I am happy for those in the market for those at the moment, maybe will be one down the line later in my career.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am happy for those in the market for those at the moment, maybe will be one down the line later in my career.

There's a nice browning Bt99 on etchen guns . all ready to bust clays. 1100$ also a nice LH 686

Last edited:
There's a nice browning Bt99 on etchen guns . all ready to bust clays. 1100$ also a nice LH 686
I could get a bunch of Mods to my existing trap gun for $1100 .... Plus I just bought my first house so a third shotgun isn't just sitting in the budget.

I could get a bunch of Mods to my existing trap gun for $1100 .... Plus I just bought my first house so a third shotgun isn't just sitting in the budget.

I have to source 3 line cash flow for any gun stuff.
Cash in scrap metal, cans, sell stuff on eBay.
1100$ would go a good way to modifying a current shotgun.
Ken Rucker of speed bump stock works is another good stock guy.

I've been shooting trap competitivly for almost 20 years. I started with an old Mossberg Pump. I now use a Remington 1100 TRAP. It's like a peice of furniture! And I have always had at least a 21 average.

I've been shooting trap competitivly for almost 20 years. I started with an old Mossberg Pump. I now use a Remington 1100 TRAP. It's like a peice of furniture! And I have always had at least a 21 average.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing when you call it "a piece of furniture!"

Is two not enough? If you can give me a sworn notarized statement to that effect I can try to get some emergency funding to rectify the situation ....

The correct number is how ever many you can cram into your dedicated shotgun safe! Let me just draft up that note for you. I'll have it for you shortly. [rofl]

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing when you call it "a piece of furniture!"

I'm guessing good? As in, "it's been around so long I'm just comfortable with it and would miss it if it went away." Just my guess.

The correct number is how ever many you can cram into your dedicated shotgun safe! Let me just draft up that note for you. I'll have it for you shortly. [rofl]

I'm guessing good? As in, "it's been around so long I'm just comfortable with it and would miss it if it went away." Just my guess.

What should I get?

A semi-auto?
A 20 ga?
A BT 99?
A bolt action Slug Gun?
A tacti cool one?
A .410 Lever gun?
A O/U and Unsingle Set?
A O/U set with 12,20,28, and 410 barrels?
A SBS?
A ultra high capacity bullpup pump?

What should I get?

A semi-auto?
A 20 ga?
A BT 99?
A bolt action Slug Gun?
A tacti cool one?
A .410 Lever gun?
A O/U and Unsingle Set?
A O/U set with 12,20,28, and 410 barrels?
A SBS?
A ultra high capacity bullpup pump?

Why stop at just one? Get em all! My next will be a Henry .410 lever gun just because.

Why stop at just one? Get em all! My next will be a Henry .410 lever gun just because.

Those guns are well built tools! I've had mine a couple of months and every time I shoot it I like it more. Hit for 23 at trap last weekend......1/2 ounce of size 8 shot! I average 21 with it at this point.

It's a head Turner at the trap range too.......you get the regular "what gauge is that?" Questions!

Can't wait for small game season to open up

SzIcFNz.jpg

. . . . a pic. Needed to test Imgur anyway.

Back
Top Bottom