Entry level trap shot gun recommendation ?

A crappy shotgun can be used at 16 yards with varying results, but it's the 27-yard handicap that separates the men from the boys. A real trap shotgun is needed for the handicap.

Knowing how to shoot and understanding the game is what separates the good from the great.
I know a guy with a beat up worn out duct taped 870 that will go as far back as you would like and still knocks them dead.
Few folks over at Holbrook shooting some "crappy" guns when I was shooting ATA over there and they where doing fine.
Some one with a New England Pardner that "fits" will win over someone who spends 10k plus on a shotty that kinda fits.

For me a entry level trap gun
Remington 1100 or 870 Trap model with at least adjustable comb. They can be found at decent prices and you can generally sell them later for what you paid or a very small loss.
BT 99s are nice also.

Last edited:
Hopefully, I can explain this without making whacko go whacko again. [grin]

As mentioned earlier, a pump action can be used for casual trap. However, I can't imagine trap shooting 2 times a week shooting 3-5 rounds of trap with a pump. If the pump isn't a proper fit, it will bruise your shoulder and slap you in the face at the same time. That doesn't sound like fun for a morning or afternoon of shooting 100 rounds from a pump.

A more serious problem is developing a flinch due to the recoil of the pump. I've seen excellent shooters, even with o/u guns develop a flinch, and once that happens, their scores drop dramatically. If the flinching is really bad, the only way around it is for them to go with a semi or have a release trigger installed on their o/u. The release trigger works opposite of a "normal" trigger. You pull the trigger back, and the gun doesn't fire until you release the trigger. Although a release trigger sounds counterintuitive, that alone shows you how much of a mental game that trap can become.

When shooting trap, you need to be totally focused on what you are doing. If anything creeps into your mind with regard to recoil or an improperly fitted gun, a trap shooter is not going to do well.

If your getting slapped in the face the gun does not fit.
I shot a 870 express for 4 years and after the first round I knew something had to change. This is when I learned about pitch.
There are several angles to consider for proper fit.
Cast,pitch , Length of pull, comb height and rib height just to name some.
Figuring out how all this plays together is the fun part.
Before I bought a dedicated trap gun my POS 870 express was modified to fit.
From cast and pitch spacers to a adjustable comb kit I installed along with glueing on a raised rib that was nothing more than a piece of aluminum I found in a hobby store that looked like a mini steel beam.
It's all fun and there are a few guys at every club that will get you going in the right direction.
What I found to work best is before I really worried about the gun. I took about 8 months of learning the basic positions,stance,hold points and such.
Still to this day the best tip was....eyes on the bird and follow through. This from a old timer who would come down with a old savage bolt action 410 shotty and smoke those targets with boring repetition.

Last edited:
Hopefully, I can explain this without making whacko go whacko again. [grin]

As mentioned earlier, a pump action can be used for casual trap. However, I can't imagine trap shooting 2 times a week shooting 3-5 rounds of trap with a pump. If the pump isn't a proper fit, it will bruise your shoulder and slap you in the face at the same time. That doesn't sound like fun for a morning or afternoon of shooting 100 rounds from a pump.

A more serious problem is developing a flinch due to the recoil of the pump. I've seen excellent shooters, even with o/u guns develop a flinch, and once that happens, their scores drop dramatically. If the flinching is really bad, the only way around it is for them to go with a semi or have a release trigger installed on their o/u. The release trigger works opposite of a "normal" trigger. You pull the trigger back, and the gun doesn't fire until you release the trigger. Although a release trigger sounds counterintuitive, that alone shows you how much of a mental game that trap can become.

When shooting trap, you need to be totally focused on what you are doing. If anything creeps into your mind with regard to recoil or an improperly fitted gun, a trap shooter is not going to do well.

Perhaps I am missing your point but what exactly is your recommendation? I think everyone agrees that the number one test is "does it fit" and number two is "does it shoot where you look". The rest is just noise that drops out at the start because it pales in comparison to making sure a gun passes the first two tests.

Is someone who shoots trap 2 times a week and shoots 5 rounds each time going to want to shoot with a pump all the time? Meh probably not, but there is also the factor that if you shoot that much (Warning don't read the number if you want to be in denial about how much shooting costs) you are probably spending about $4K (5 rounds * 2 per week * 52 weeks * ($5/box + $3/25 clays)) a year on trap so it makes sense to give yourself a competitive budget for the gun to use.

However if someone is just starting out having a solid pump, shooting it for 3-6 months to see if you like it and then dropping a proportionally reasonable amount of money based on interest and personal financial circumstance is a win for most people.

You started talking about flinching and the issues around it but in my mind bringing that up to someone looking for an "entry level gun" is like bringing up relationship counseling on the first date. Its a little premature. If a gun is causing someone just starting out to flinch, it almost definitely doesn't fit them. Also, if a gun is causing someone starting out to flinch, it should be when they are borrowing a gun to try it out and at that point they can move on to trying something else and find one that is better for them.

I have shot 100 rounds with a pump, it fit fine and it had a good recoil pad so it was not a painful experience in the least. When my front porch was under construction I didn't feel like carrying my O/U and associated case down a narrow winding stair case so I took the pump in a soft case to trap for weeks on end. I have shot light O/U guns that did not fit and WOW that caused some bruising in 1 painful round. I also checked out an 870 express before I found a vintage 870 wingmaster and noticed that the feel of shouldering it was just not quite right (for me). It felt lighter and also the pad seemed to feel a bit narrower than a wingmaster pad (all subjective opinion).

The BT-99 is an excellent recommendation. Love the gun.

I learned on a Remington 1100 Trap. A bit less expensive and I can shoot quite well with it.

Now I'm using a Krieghoff KS5. It's over 20 years old and still in great shape. The prior owner(s) really took care of it. Built like a tank. Lifetime warranty on parts to any owner. And it just fits nicely, especially with the added adjustable buttstock.

Buying a trap gun is like becoming addicted to crack. You just want more and more...

:)

Kittery has a large collection of shotguns for sale, the list the models on the website and will send pictures if you request. They will also hold it a day or two so you can go and see it in person.

The BT-99 is an excellent recommendation. Love the gun.

I learned on a Remington 1100 Trap. A bit less expensive and I can shoot quite well with it.

Now I'm using a Krieghoff KS5. It's over 20 years old and still in great shape. The prior owner(s) really took care of it. Built like a tank. Lifetime warranty on parts to any owner. And it just fits nicely, especially with the added adjustable buttstock.

Buying a trap gun is like becoming addicted to crack. You just want more and more...

:)

If you are talking MSRP new price I think the Remington 1100 Trap model and the BT 99 are about the same price now! (Thats more a reflection of the 1100 trap not being as cheap as it once was)

Both good guns no doubt.

The addiction is definitely real. I have to get my fix by talking to other people about what they are going to buy next. I can't afford to buy (or afford to justify buying cause they would improve almost nothing for me) a number of the ones that have caught my eye. Also, my wife didn't appreciate when I was a bit too quick to answer what I would do with the insurance money if she unexpectedly died.

As a new shooter fit is more important than anything. Buy a gun that fits, try as many as you can.

I would lean you away from a dedicated trap gun like the BT-99 just because if you want to sometime shoot skeet or sporting clays, you really can't shoot doubles. So before buying a BT-99 make sure you just want to shoot trap only.

If money is a serious concern, stick with a pump or semi that you can afford that fits. Don't buy a light field gun for trap/skeet, your better to have something heavy as a target gun if you shoot semi seriously.

If money is not too tight, the Browning Citori CX is a good value for the money, and you can shoot skeet or trap with it. You can get one brand new for $1500 at Cabela's, or ask KTP to match the price and they will.

I bought my Remington 1100 Trap used, albeit lightly used, for about $750. I know that's close to the BT-99.

For new shooters I find the semi-auto 1100 helps reduce felt recoil, until they get used to it. Many are intimidated by the thought of shooting the 12 gauge, especially 25 times.

Maybe get both??? :)

If you are talking MSRP new price I think the Remington 1100 Trap model and the BT 99 are about the same price now! (Thats more a reflection of the 1100 trap not being as cheap as it once was)

Both good guns no doubt.

The addiction is definitely real. I have to get my fix by talking to other people about what they are going to buy next. I can't afford to buy (or afford to justify buying cause they would improve almost nothing for me) a number of the ones that have caught my eye. Also, my wife didn't appreciate when I was a bit too quick to answer what I would do with the insurance money if she unexpectedly died.

If your getting slapped in the face the gun does not fit.
I shot a 870 express for 4 years and after the first round I knew something had to change. This is when I learned about pitch.
There are several angles to consider for proper fit.
Cast,pitch , Length of pull, comb height and rib height just to name some.
Figuring out how all this plays together is the fun part.
Before I bought a dedicated trap gun my POS 870 express was modified to fit.
From cast and pitch spacers to a adjustable comb kit I installed along with glueing on a raised rib that was nothing more than a piece of aluminum I found in a hobby store that looked like a mini steel beam.
It's all fun and there are a few guys at every club that will get you going in the right direction.
What I found to work best is before I really worried about the gun. I took about 8 months of learning the basic positions,stance,hold points and such.
Still to this day the best tip was....eyes on the bird and follow through. This from a old timer who would come down with a old savage bolt action 410 shotty and smoke those targets with boring repetition.

Thanks for making my point. An off the shelf 870 or Mossberg is not going to make for a good fit, so how many beginners would continue to shoot week after week getting slapped in the face in addition to a bruised shoulder?

As for the guy that can hit a gnat in the ass at 200 yards with a 12 gauge, there is always an exception in life for just about any rule.

Perhaps I am missing your point but what exactly is your recommendation? I think everyone agrees that the number one test is "does it fit" and number two is "does it shoot where you look". The rest is just noise that drops out at the start because it pales in comparison to making sure a gun passes the first two tests.

Is someone who shoots trap 2 times a week and shoots 5 rounds each time going to want to shoot with a pump all the time? Meh probably not, but there is also the factor that if you shoot that much (Warning don't read the number if you want to be in denial about how much shooting costs) you are probably spending about $4K (5 rounds * 2 per week * 52 weeks * ($5/box + $3/25 clays)) a year on trap so it makes sense to give yourself a competitive budget for the gun to use.

However if someone is just starting out having a solid pump, shooting it for 3-6 months to see if you like it and then dropping a proportionally reasonable amount of money based on interest and personal financial circumstance is a win for most people.

You started talking about flinching and the issues around it but in my mind bringing that up to someone looking for an "entry level gun" is like bringing up relationship counseling on the first date. Its a little premature. If a gun is causing someone just starting out to flinch, it almost definitely doesn't fit them. Also, if a gun is causing someone starting out to flinch, it should be when they are borrowing a gun to try it out and at that point they can move on to trying something else and find one that is better for them.

I have shot 100 rounds with a pump, it fit fine and it had a good recoil pad so it was not a painful experience in the least. When my front porch was under construction I didn't feel like carrying my O/U and associated case down a narrow winding stair case so I took the pump in a soft case to trap for weeks on end. I have shot light O/U guns that did not fit and WOW that caused some bruising in 1 painful round. I also checked out an 870 express before I found a vintage 870 wingmaster and noticed that the feel of shouldering it was just not quite right (for me). It felt lighter and also the pad seemed to feel a bit narrower than a wingmaster pad (all subjective opinion).

Yep, you missed my point, but confirmed what I said. I said that a pump was good for casual trap shooting and you stated that trying it out for 3-6 months to see if they like it is not a problem. I agree, but again, if the gun does not fit, it may discourage the beginner from pursuing the sport any further.

I'm not surprised that a light o/u caused bruising.

I've been shooting trap/sporting clays for maybe 15 years. I'm also a Trap RO and volunteer on a monthly basis and have seen hundreds of trap shooters over the years. In those years, I could count all the shooters that used a pump on my left or right hand. I also know trap shooters that shoot 3 - 4 days per week and travel in-state and out-of-state to attend trap shoots, so obviously they can afford to shoot that many rounds, although some are reloaders. However, many reloaders for shot shells claim that it's not that cost effective anymore.

the main difference between a gun dedicated for trap and one for field/hunting, and i didn't see it mentioned so sorry if i missed it, is comb height. the field generally has a lower comb cause you just throw it up from a low ready position when a bird flies. a trap comb is much higher because the rules for american trap allow you to have the gun mounted before you call, thus ensuring a better sight plain. forget that happy horseshit of pitch, cast, etc. for now, that will come later.

you may find with a field gun on trap, the correct sight picture for consistent hits is "burying the bird." and with a higher comb of a trap stock you need to see your target sitting atop the front bead for the same consistent good hits.

you can begin trap with most any gun, that's fine. most people do start with a gun that's a field grade cause that's what they have. nothing wrong with that.

i echo mr. happy, go to a clubs trap field, see what others are using, see who's having success, and try a few guns. every club i've visited and shot trap at are filled with mr. happys, very welcoming people more than willing to help a beginner and let them try their shotguns. you'll be able to see and feel for yourself the difference between a field and target gun. have fun.

the main difference between a gun dedicated for trap and one for field/hunting, and i didn't see it mentioned so sorry if i missed it, is comb height. the field generally has a lower comb cause you just throw it up from a low ready position when a bird flies. a trap comb is much higher because the rules for american trap allow you to have the gun mounted before you call, thus ensuring a better sight plain. forget that happy horseshit of pitch, cast, etc. for now, that will come later.

you may find with a field gun on trap, the correct sight picture for consistent hits is "burying the bird." and with a higher comb of a trap stock you need to see your target sitting atop the front bead for the same consistent good hits.

you can begin trap with most any gun, that's fine. most people do start with a gun that's a field grade cause that's what they have. nothing wrong with that.

i echo mr. happy, go to a clubs trap field, see what others are using, see who's having success, and try a few guns. every club i've visited and shot trap at are filled with mr. happys, very welcoming people more than willing to help a beginner and let them try their shotguns. you'll be able to see and feel for yourself the difference between a field and target gun. have fun.

Most trap fields are absolutely ripe with free advice and people ready to let you try their guns. If you haven't been guilted into shooting a round with someones $5-7k+ gun then you probably are being too shy about asking to try stuff. Also people may come out of the woodwork with guns that they have casually been trying to sell and are willing to let it go for a good price.

The fact of the matter is that many people go through an evolution of guns they shoot trap with so they may have their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gun in the back of the safe and be willing to let it go to a good home for a low price.

With the advice, some of it may be worth what you paid for it (nothing) but its usually all done with good intentions.

That's an excellent point that I didn't get into. Most trap guns utilize a Monte Carlo type stock that has a higher comb and a rib that generally slopes towards the front of the barrel. The reason for this is that the trap gun is designed to shoot higher than where it is aimed, or as it is described, build in a "lead" to hit the rising target.

In comparison, a field gun is a "flat-shooting" gun without the build in lead, and is also going to be a lighter gun because the hunter doesn't want to be hauling around a tank while in the field. Another factor is the size of the bird being hunted. A pheasant is a hell of a lot bigger than a clay bird (yes, I know there are smaller birds that hunters shoot).

As a new shooter fit is more important than anything. Buy a gun that fits, try as many as you can.

I would lean you away from a dedicated trap gun like the BT-99 just because if you want to sometime shoot skeet or sporting clays, you really can't shoot doubles. So before buying a BT-99 make sure you just want to shoot trap only.

If money is a serious concern, stick with a pump or semi that you can afford that fits. Don't buy a light field gun for trap/skeet, your better to have something heavy as a target gun if you shoot semi seriously.

If money is not too tight, the Browning Citori CX is a good value for the money, and you can shoot skeet or trap with it. You can get one brand new for $1500 at Cabela's, or ask KTP to match the price and they will.

I love my CX. It smokes clays on both skeet and trap fields. I'm itching to try it out on sporting clays, but our next event is until October.

I do agree that a multipurpose gun is a better choice, but I've also shot skeet and doubles trap with a pump and was able to break the doubles. It takes some practice, but it's doable, and the skeet guys stop looking at you funny and stop offering to throw the doubles on report instead of normally once you get it down.

Thanks for making my point. An off the shelf 870 or Mossberg is not going to make for a good fit, so how many beginners would continue to shoot week after week getting slapped in the face in addition to a bruised shoulder?

As for the guy that can hit a gnat in the ass at 200 yards with a 12 gauge, there is always an exception in life for just about any rule.

Point taken......my mossy 500 fits just fine. Lots of 50 straight sessions with it.

Yep, you missed my point, but confirmed what I said. I said that a pump was good for casual trap shooting and you stated that trying it out for 3-6 months to see if they like it is not a problem. I agree, but again, if the gun does not fit, it may discourage the beginner from pursuing the sport any further.

I'm not surprised that a light o/u caused bruising.

I've been shooting trap/sporting clays for maybe 15 years. I'm also a Trap RO and volunteer on a monthly basis and have seen hundreds of trap shooters over the years. In those years, I could count all the shooters that used a pump on my left or right hand. I also know trap shooters that shoot 3 - 4 days per week and travel in-state and out-of-state to attend trap shoots, so obviously they can afford to shoot that many rounds, although some are reloaders. However, many reloaders for shot shells claim that it's not that cost effective anymore.

I'm still going to say it.......the whole "fit" thing is confusing to me. Hand me any shotgun.......I'll hit between 15 and 20 on the first round. Gotta see where it patterns.....high or low. Next round I'll bust 22 and up maybe even 25. I've done this with a dozen or more different shotguns. Now.....I'm aware that Im not shooting 5 rounds in one day in a competition. I'm sure I'd get some fatigue using a light pump after 3 rounds. I get that. But for a casual shooter.......3-6 rounds a month I think your blowing money up a wildcats ass spending over say $700 on a gun.

I picked up a lever action 410 with a 24 inch barrel and first round hit 16. Second round 19 and then smacked 23 with it last Saturday. Only throwing 1/2 ounce of number 8 shot. I was shooting with guys hitting 21 and 22 using dedicated trap guns.

In my opinion you can adapt to the gun not the other way around. I'd.you have any hand eye cordination at all.

Last edited:
Many Thanks for everyone's input. I spent the morning at my club talking to some very nice people and received quite a bit of information. Budget under 2k, a lefty shooter and some recoil concerns due to a past shoulder injury. The research continues.

I'm still going to say it.......the whole "fit" thing is confusing to me. Hand me any shotgun.......I'll hit between 15 and 20 on the first round. Gotta see where it patterns.....high or low. Next round I'll bust 22 and up maybe even 25. I've done this with a dozen or more different shotguns. Now.....I'm aware that Im not shooting 5 rounds in one day in a competition. I'm sure I'd get some fatigue using a light pump after 3 rounds. I get that. But for a casual shooter.......3-6 rounds a month I think your blowing money up a wildcats ass spending over say $700 on a gun.

I picked up a lever action 410 with a 24 inch barrel and first round hit 16. Second round 19 and then smacked 23 with it last Saturday. Only throwing 1/2 ounce of number 8 shot. I was shooting with guys hitting 21 and 22 using dedicated trap guns.

In my opinion you can adapt to the gun not the other way around. I'd.you have any hand eye cordination at all.

It always cracks me up that people spend so much time judging each other based on the guns they use.

Its either that you need to spend over $1K and you NEED to have an O/U or you are just wasting your time.

Or that you shouldn't spend on anything more than a moss 500 or a rem 870 because someone CAN be competitive with that so why spend a dollar extra.

We all know that you can't buy performance (and maybe spend some money on a coach if you are starting out with a gun that is $5K+, you can surely afford it) but why rag on people because they are shooting a dedicated trap gun but aren't hitting 23-25 every round?

Should I go berate a jogger for wearing high end running shoes while not winning a race?

I figure people can get whatever works for them, and on top of that even if they don't NEED it for performance they can spend more money if they partake in an activity a bunch and they wanted it. One of the better shooters at my club shoots a Kreighoff and he shoots it well, before that he shot a browning, and before that a rem 1100. If you were to breakdown his relative improvement across the guns it would likely be minimal and mostly attributed to skill/time spent rather than equipment based but he wanted a Kreighoff so he bought one.

Many Thanks for everyone's input. I spent the morning at my club talking to some very nice people and received quite a bit of information. Budget under 2k, a lefty shooter and some recoil concerns due to a past shoulder injury. The research continues.

I am a Lefty and I like my Browning Crossover.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/citori/discontinued/citori-crossover-target.html

If you have recoil concerns you could always try to find something with a recoil device and/or a semi auto.

http://www.gunsunlimitedomaha.com/catalog/item/BRN-BT99 80_20 GRACOIL.aspx

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/autoloading/model-1100/model-1100-competition-synthetic

I know nothing about the crossover trap model they have now but I might check it out:

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/citori/current-production/cxt.html

In the pump realm you can get an adjustable stock that goes on a rem 870 with a recoil device (stock #4)

http://www.billdavisenterprises.com/Adjustable-Stocks.html

You can also get the stock that comes on the 1100 compentition synthetic and it will fit on a 870

http://www.jackweststocks.com/index_files/Product_List.htm

It always cracks me up that people spend so much time judging each other based on the guns they use.

Its either that you need to spend over $1K and you NEED to have an O/U or you are just wasting your time.

Or that you shouldn't spend on anything more than a moss 500 or a rem 870 because someone CAN be competitive with that so why spend a dollar extra.

We all know that you can't buy performance (and maybe spend some money on a coach if you are starting out with a gun that is $5K+, you can surely afford it) but why rag on people because they are shooting a dedicated trap gun but aren't hitting 23-25 every round?

Should I go berate a jogger for wearing high end running shoes while not winning a race?

I figure people can get whatever works for them, and on top of that even if they don't NEED it for performance they can spend more money if they partake in an activity a bunch and they wanted it. One of the better shooters at my club shoots a Kreighoff and he shoots it well, before that he shot a browning, and before that a rem 1100. If you were to breakdown his relative improvement across the guns it would likely be minimal and mostly attributed to skill/time spent rather than equipment based but he wanted a Kreighoff so he bought one.

My commentary is a bit harsh sometimes I know. I've never been accused of being "gentle". My apologies.

But.....my pointed comments and harsh quips do serve a purpose. Op is looking for a gun to shoot trap with.......he does not NEED to spend thousands to get into it. And if he talks with the "trapazoids" I speak of...and yes poke some fun at......they'll try to talk him into spending thousands.....why? Because it's how they justify their crappy 22 average.......they always seem to need a better gun to increase their scores. When in actuality they just plain suck. [smile]

In all actuality I really don't care what you spend on your gun. It just sucks that some trap shooters blah blah blah enough to new shooters and make em think they need to spend 3k on a gun.

Last edited:
My commentary is a bit harsh sometimes I know. I've never been accused of being "gentle". My apologies.

But.....my pointed comments and harsh quips do serve a purpose. Op is looking for a gun to shoot trap with.......he does not NEED to spend thousands to get into it. And if he talks with the "trapazoids" I speak of...and yes poke some fun at......they'll try to talk him into spending thousands.....why? Because it's how they justify their crappy 22 average.......they always seem to need a better gun to increase their scores. When in actuality they just plain suck. [smile]

In all actuality I really don't care what you spend on your gun. It just sucks that some trap shooters blah blah blah enough to new shooters and make em think they need to spend 3k on a gun.

The worst is talking to someone who is new, and week 1 they nod over and over as you explain why they should try a bunch before buying. Then week 2 they show up with a $3400 gun that they bought that afternoon and talk about how they actually went to buy XYZ but it wasn't in stock at Kittery so they bought this instead. Cut to 6 months later and you can't remember exactly when they stopped coming by to shoot.

I keep seeing the felt recoil in regards to semi auto versus pump or O/U. while the pump may be a bit more violent its bird shot not slugs or 00 buck. I got a bruise last weekend shooting in a beater tee but in the fall with a sleeved shirt or sweat shirt 100rds no problem no bruises. The balance of the shotgun will definitely help with the felt recoil. If I ever get more serious and join a club team or something like that then I will look to get a custom fitted O/U to replace my CZ. Only then will I truly know the difference because right now my gun is not holding me back.

My first is a CZ (Huglu) Mallard. Nothing special, but my budget was way less than $2k. It's a $550 gun, and although I've only been out once this year, last year after about 12 rounds I was able to get a 22. Averaged about a 19/20 at the end of the year. Only 2 rounds every other Tuesday I would average I'm guessing. though out the summer. So I'm not spending all my time out there, especially this year. I need to get out there more!

I keep seeing the felt recoil in regards to semi auto versus pump or O/U. while the pump may be a bit more violent its bird shot not slugs or 00 buck. I got a bruise last weekend shooting in a beater tee but in the fall with a sleeved shirt or sweat shirt 100rds no problem no bruises. The balance of the shotgun will definitely help with the felt recoil. If I ever get more serious and join a club team or something like that then I will look to get a custom fitted O/U to replace my CZ. Only then will I truly know the difference because right now my gun is not holding me back.

There is also the factor of the recoil pad. A pump vs. an o/u there shouldn't but much difference in recoil purely on the factor of action type. Some recoil pads are hard as a rock and essentially just are functioning as a spacer. Where as others are actually compressing and therefore spreading out the dissipation of recoil force over time.

As I've said several times, that's doable at 16 yards if your an experienced shot gunner. I know one thing, unless you are superhuman, which is a distinct possibility, you're not going to be dusting 23 or 25 from the 27-yard handicap line with a .410 bore.

If you can do that with a .410 using #8 shot, then you would make for an excellent pro in trapshooting and sponsors would be paying for your guns and ammo. A .410 bore is usually patterned at 25 yards and not 40 yards like a 12 gauge. If shooting from a 27-yard trap station, by the time the shot is made, the clay might be out to 35 yards or more. A .410 is going to have less pellets, a longer shot string, and with a longer shot string, the trailing pellets are going to have less velocity and correspondingly, less energy to destroy the clay.

As I've said several times, that's doable at 16 yards if your an experienced shot gunner. I know one thing, unless you are superhuman, which is a distinct possibility, you're not going to be dusting 23 or 25 from the 27-yard handicap line with a .410 bore.

If you can do that with a .410 using #8 shot, then you would make for an excellent pro in trapshooting and sponsors would be paying for your guns and ammo. A .410 bore is usually patterned at 25 yards and not 40 yards like a 12 gauge. If shooting from a 27-yard trap station, by the time the shot is made, the clay might be out to 35 yards or more. A .410 is going to have less pellets, a longer shot string, and with a longer shot string, the trailing pellets are going to have less velocity and correspondingly, less energy to destroy the clay.

All of this I am well aware of.......not because I shoot alot of trap......but because I hunt with a shotgun......ALOT. I'm not going to waste ammo on the 27 yard line with a 410......just like I won't waste a shot on a rabbit at 45 yards with a 410 just to take a chance on wounding it.

What my experience with a 410 on the 16 yard line proves beyond a doubt ......is that it is totally possible to adjust to the gun and get good hits from the 16 yard line with almost any gun that throws pellets. If you are hitting low 20s from the 16 yard line with a dedicated trap gun........trust me.......the gun is not the problem and spending more money on a more expensive gun is probably not going to get you to 25. I hear guys all the time saying they are gonna trade in the gun they have on a better one. And they show up a couple weeks later with the next greatest piece of furniture and are no better. .Remember,.....i was standing next to (they were of course also at 16 yards) guys shooting dedicated trap guns and had a higher score and it was only the 3rd time I had shot that gun. That was really my point...don't spend thousands right away......you may be surprised what you can do for $500 invested.

Also i clearly state earlier on that even my 12 gauge hunting shotguns would give me some trouble at 27 yards.......

I'm.really not understanding why you are so fixated on the 27 yard line. The OP is looking for an entry level gun to start shooting trap. Do you think he's going to start shooting handicap in the next year?

Last edited:
There is also the factor of the recoil pad. A pump vs. an o/u there shouldn't but much difference in recoil purely on the factor of action type. Some recoil pads are hard as a rock and essentially just are functioning as a spacer. Where as others are actually compressing and therefore spreading out the dissipation of recoil force over time.

I actually fired one of these yesterday that is similar to what you are describing from Precision Fit Stocks on an o/u. The recoil reducing stock alone goes for $1,300, but it does make a big difference. The 73-year-old fellow that owns the gun can shoot a gnat in the left eye from the 27-yard line. [laugh]

ultimate_fit_comb1.jpg

ultimate_fit_comb2.jpg

I actually fired one of these yesterday that is similar to what you are describing from Precision Fit Stocks on an o/u. The recoil reducing stock alone goes for $1,300, but it does make a big difference. The 73-year-old fellow that owns the gun can shoot a gnat in the left eye from the 27-yard line. [laugh]

View attachment 201974

View attachment 201975

I was talking more on the level of a $40 recoil pad but okay, that $1300 solution will also give a lot of value too.

https://www.limbsaver.com/product/precision-fit-recoil-pad/

(If someone handed me a left hand precision fit stock with recoil reducer that worked on a Browning Citori series I would 100% put it on my gun and love it probably .... my birthday IS coming up this year Hint Hint [wink])

Last edited:
The worst is talking to someone who is new, and week 1 they nod over and over as you explain why they should try a bunch before buying. Then week 2 they show up with a $3400 gun that they bought that afternoon and talk about how they actually went to buy XYZ but it wasn't in stock at Kittery so they bought this instead. Cut to 6 months later and you can't remember exactly when they stopped coming by to shoot.

Yup. That's gotta suck too.

Back
Top Bottom